Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

R86447 18V Lithium-Ion One Handed Recip Saw does not even cut through one piece of 2x

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R86447 18V Lithium-Ion One Handed Recip Saw does not even cut through one piece of 2x

A couple of months ago bought a Ridgid 18V tool combo - drill, recipricating saw, charger, two batteries at The Home Depot.

18V Lithium-Ion Drill/Driver One Handed Recip Saw Combo R9682

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R9682-Dr...o/EN/index.htm

The drill works fine. The saw is a bit of a mystery. The saw by itself is a R86447 model. Here are some general specs.

One Handed Reciprocating Saw - One Handed Ergonomic grip – maximum comfort for extended use
    Tool-Free Blade Clamp – makes blade change faster and easier
    LED Light – illuminates work space for increased visibility
    Volts: 18V
    No Load Speeds: 0-3,500 SPM

When I do use the saw to cut, say trying to cut a piece of 2x4 in place, it will cut for about 20 seconds and stop. I will have to release the trigger, press down on the trigger again to restart the saw. It takes a good 10 to 20 times of start/stop to saw through one piece of 2x4. It also seem to get worse as the battery is nearly dead. Although the drill does not have the same problem, the drill seem to perform the same and when the battery dies, it dies instantly.

I noticed this problem right the way and decided this must have been a defective saw. I took it back to HD and they gave me a brand new kit. With the new kit the saw seems a bit better, but still does the start/stop thing. However since it was a sale special (the kit was $199) when normally just the drill and 2 batteries would have been $199, I decided to keep it, thinking that it is not a defective saw, just that this one handed saw is probably designed to very light duty, perhaps it can only be used to cut plastic moldings and PVC pipes. I pretty much used my corded Bosch saw and left it alone except when I need it in the attic to cut last week, again, a piece of 1x3 furring strips took over 10 starts/stops. This is ridiculous.

The strange thing is, if I just press the trigger and cut nothing, and it WILL CUT AIR for a long time!

I am missing something here. Anyone else have the same saw and experience?

Oh and I just realized I did a real dumb thing. When I first got the saw, I registered and sent in the product serial numbers. However, when I traded in for a new set at HD, they just "swapped" it. Did not ring up a new receipt, and I did not register the new tools and batteries. I am wondering how warranty would work in this case, I am registered for those products but the serial numbers won't match!

Re: R86447 18V Lithium-Ion One Handed Recip Saw does not even cut through one piece o

It's the batteries. The compact lithium ion batteries in that kit are for lack of a better term, junk. That saw with the newer lithium batteries works fine. I have 6 of those compact batteries on the shelf that flat out are garbage. They used an off-brand battery cell in these units instead of a Samsung or Sanyo cell. The new hyper-lithium units use Samsung cells, same exact units in Milwaukee red-lithium batteries. Call Ridgid and explain your situation and offer to fax them the exchange receipt and be nice, I'm sure they will help you out. Should be able to get those batteries swapped out for replacements.

Comment

Re: R86447 18V Lithium-Ion One Handed Recip Saw does not even cut through one piece o

X2 on the batteries. I have the same saw, I do not use the small batteries with it. Get a better battery and the saw will work awesome. Look on eBay for an X4 Hyper Lithium battery, problem solved. Expect to pay $70 or so shipped, or $100 plus tax at Home Depot.
      Last edited by masterbeavis; 02-20-2012, 03:08 PM.
      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Are you saying the batteries as supplied are not designed for that saw?

Because the saw was behaving that way even when the batteries were NEW when I first bought it and FULLY CHARGED.

If this is the case, even if Ridgid were to give me replacement batteries for what I had it will have the same problems, unless you mean the newer generations of the same compact Lithium batteries are different?

Also is this something I should contact Ridgid support or I should go to a service center?

Thanks for the helpful comments.

Comment

I am saying that I don't use the small 1.5ah batteries with circular and reciprocating saw. I use either the X3 or X4 large 3.0ah batteries. It works better. I save the small batteries for flashlight, impact and light drill use and radio duty only.
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
          X