Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Registering products for LSA AFTER 90 days

Cactus,

While I totally agree with your post, let's not forget that the original question was posted by "Miamicuse" and I think he simply expressed the question, and did so in a very mature manner.... no whining, no complaint, and really nothing more than an admission that he didn't do it on time... and then questioned our opinion as to whether at this late date it might still be possible to register. (Perhaps he even thought that a Ridgid Customer Service person might answer that question.)

I want to point that out only because I wouldn't want a new forum member to feel he is being really hammered simply because he posted a question... even one which was done in a very sensible and mature manner.

Of course a few of the responses were called into question by many of us, but I don't feel Miamicuse was the target of any of that... or at least in my opinion, he shouldn't be.

Thanks,

CWS

Comment

Thanks CW .... my rant was not directly meant to a single person....
      We have read so many posts about not registering their tools or using them properly I simply
      figured this is a good time to scold the masses!

Sadly personal responsibility for anything is longer the norm but the exception

Cactus Man

Comment

Hi, I am the OP. I didn't mean to stir up a sensitive subject here.

I was always under the impression that if I keep the original receipt, I have the warranty, even though I didn't register online.

Here's what happened. Last year my Dewalt drill batteries died, and it cost more to replace the batteries than to buy a brand new drill + batteries. In looking around for replacement, I learned that Ridgid had a lifetime battery policy so I went ahead and bought a drill/saw combo kit that came with two batteries and a charger.

As soon as I got it, I went online and registered it, cut out the UPC code and mailed in the receipt.

A week later, when I tried the one handed saw in that combo kit, it just does not work. It starts and stops and starts and stops with a fully charged battery. I thought I had a defective saw and so I packed it all up and went back to Home Depot and showed them. The rep there took back the old box and gave me a brand new one. They didn't "refund" the old one and sold me a new one, they merely swapped it. I left with a brand new one. Only I never had a receipt for the new box, and I already registered online for the tools I no longer had. I still have a photo copy of the receipt, but the original receipt was already mailed in. I now have these Ridgid tools that do not match the serial numbers of the ones I registered. I actually had problems with the saw again, and because of that, I rarely use that tool. Others have told me that saw actually worked, but is a problem because of the compact Lithium Ion batteries that came with that kit. I can't call Ridgid for service on those batteries because they don't even what I registered.

So when I bought the Ridgid palm nailer, I told myself to wait. Make sure the tool work, wait a few weeks and be sure it's what I want to keep and don't rush to register it and cut out the UPC code. Well it did work well and I put the box in a corner and later on forgotten about it.

So yes I forgot to register for it because I screwed up the first time registering it too soon. So now I screwed up twice.

The reason I posted the question here, is I thought may be Ridgid may have reps here that could provide a definitive answer. Registering for the LSA online require you to mail in the "original" receipt. So if I mailed it in and is not accepted, I would have lost my receipt in the event I need it for warranty purposes.

Comment

[ Registering for the LSA online require you to mail in the "original" receipt. So if I mailed it in and is not accepted, I would have lost my receipt in the event I need it for warranty purposes.[/QUOTE]

The lsa requires you to mail a "copy" of the original recpt. with an arrow pointing to item. I copy recpt and bar code, then staple to orig recpt.

Comment

Originally posted by miamicuse View Post
            . Registering for the LSA online require you to mail in the "original" receipt. So if I mailed it in and is not accepted, I would have lost my receipt in the event I need it for warranty purposes.
            With any sort of transaction that requires a reciept, always ask for a duplicate receipt at the time of purchase. Mail one in, keep the other in your records. Nowadays, important reciepts get photocopied as well, they tend to self erase after time passes.
            We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
              [ Registering for the LSA online require you to mail in the "original" receipt. So if I mailed it in and is not accepted, I would have lost my receipt in the event I need it for warranty purposes.
              The lsa requires you to mail a "copy" of the original recpt. with an arrow pointing to item. I copy recpt and bar code, then staple to orig recpt.[/QUOTE]

I found conflicting information on the process when registering my latest tool. The registration form says one thing (mail a copy) and the LSA website says another (mail original). Its possibly I have these mixed up though. I mailed the originals hoping to not delay the process by sending only a copy. Lets hope I dont need the original receipt for anything now.

Comment

Miamicuse,

I can certainly see the confusion here and at this point I really do think you should be able to get things straightened out; hopefully, to your advantage.

Here is what I would do... I'd call Ridgid Customer Service (about the original mailing you made, with the receipt and the UPC... find out the status of that! Then I'd also explain exactly what occured with the failure of that particular combo, it's return, and how the Home Depot (or was it actually a Ridgid Rep?) associate replaced the tools with another.

If the Customer Service folks have processed the original stuff and it has been logged as having the LLSA, they (Ridgid CS) should be able to simply update the records with the new "replacements" serial numbers and you'll be set for life! (Really, this is no different than what we do when we have a battery replaced under the LLSA.)

If as you say, you're still at six months on your pin nailer, I think I'd also see what can be done with that. The "receipt" however is the key and maybe again, Ridgid CS may offer you some advice on that.

My approach to CS has always been friendly and gentlemanly, as I'm sure your handling of such situations is too... I've always found Ridgid CS to be very helpful and friendly to deal with. Some other companies that I have experienced in this kind of thing are not always helpful, so any approach is always one of cautionary behaviour by me.

Regarding specifically your loss of the receipt: At one time you could call the Atlanta HQ for Home Depot and they would refer you to a person who could actually duplicate a lost or faded receipt for you. But for that they need the exact date of transaction, the item number/price, and the specific store number where the purchase was made. I found this out back in 2008 when I noticed my receipts starting to fade and several forum members were posting about this rather alarming problem. I actually talked to lady in Atlanta who had responsibility for the transaction data which is electronically recorded from all stores in the HD empire.

As she pointed out, most people have other records of their purchases, either in their check or credit card records. So in the majority of cases, the exact price and date can be verified by the purchaser. All HD stores have an identifying number which is on any purchase receipt from that store.

I pass this along so that you can hopefully acquire a new print of these tool purchases.

I am hopeful that this information may be helpful to you,

CWS

Comment

Thanks CWSmith and others. I just wanted to provide an update to my situation.

As suggested, I called Ridgid customer service and explained my situation. They said I still have my 3 year warranty regardless of the LSA, and should be able to exchange for new batteries at a local service center. After I explained the scenerio with my tool exchange at the Home Depot and the fact that I registered for LSA on the old tools which I later swapped out, they had to transfer me to "someone who enters those codes". After the transfer, and repeated my story, I was told to send a letter to explain it in writing, and a determination would be made.

Bear in mind, that I can still get my batteries serviced with just my receipts without the LSA at the present time. So I went to a local tool center, and was told that "without LSA and confirmation we can't help you." and even showing my receipts didn't matter.

Then I called back Ridgid customer service and was told to go to a local Home Depot because that HD now has a tool rental desk that will exchange my batteries on the spot. I called that HD Tool Rental and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Meanwhile, going back to my Ridgid tool registration online, I found that my status for those tools have reset to "Lifetime Service Agreement" from "Three Year Eligibility". This is strange, as I have not yet sent in my letter. Does it mean after I spoke to them they changed it for me without seeing my letter? Or is there a glitch? I wonder if I should send in a letter now?

I then called Ridgid and said HD Tool Rental has no idea about the battery replacement when I called. I was told they should and all I need is to go over there.

So I went. I went to the Tool Rental desk. Spoke to Jose. Jose has no idea. He asked Mike the manager, Mike said "oh no, we rent tools, go talk to special services". I went to talk to special services, Maria there looked at me like I am from Mars when I said I am there to exchange new batteries covered by my Ridgid warranty. Maria said I need Hector to come. They paged Hector. After 10 minutes Hector came and after I explained, he said he will have Kevin take care of me. Now here is where may be my patience paid off. They paged Kevin, and 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 25 minutes, repeatedly Kevin is no where to be found. I asked if "Lifetime Service Agreement" means I wait by the counter my entire Lifetime? But they can see I was getting agitated. Finally Kevin from Hardware came, he was busy with a customer. I explained the situation, and Kevin said I can drop off the batteries, and they will send it to a local tool center to have it taken care of. I said I was at a local tool center two days ago, Ridgid told me to come here because you can exchange it on the spot. Kevin said theoretically this is true, but they are not yet set up for that, as Ridgid has not yet stock them with replacement tools. He was sorry he couldn't help me, but suggested that I try a local tool center for quicker service.

At that point I told Kevin that I spent 3 days running around trying to get my batteries serviced, and if I put a price on my time I would have been better off buying a new set of drills and just forget about this. Kevin then said "WAIT" and he came back after two minutes with two new batteries from their battery rack. He used a pair of scissors to cut open those two batteries and gave them to me, then he stuffed my old worn batteries into those plastic packages and took them to the service desk and told them to return them to Ridgid.

So now I have two new batteries. It says Hyper on it, is it better than the original compact lithium ion?

So...what do I do with these batteries? Can I register them for LSA? I have no receipt, it was again "exchanged" without any paper records. Do I tell Ridgid these are gifts from HD?

Comment

that last post read like a Keystone Cops comedy of errors. can't wait to see how the OP gets it sorted out.
                    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by miamicuse View Post
                      So now I have two new batteries. It says Hyper on it, is it better than the original compact lithium ion?

So...what do I do with these batteries? Can I register them for LSA? I have no receipt, it was again "exchanged" without any paper records. Do I tell Ridgid these are gifts from HD?
                      You are SOL for the LSA on those batteries IMO. The LSA and any 3 year warranty exchange is only good for the same exact style of battery. You did get better batteries, but once again you'll be on the phone for 100 years with Ridgid trying to sort that one out.

Comment

I called up Ridgid service and explained to them the situation and they did help me added those two Home Depot "gift" batteries into my LSA product list.

So I guess I am good with those new batteries.

What is the difference between what I had before and the Hyper ones I got? A newer revision? Will these batteries last longer with each charge?

The ones I had I can't even use the one handed sawzall to cut one piece of 2x4 with it fully charged!

Comment

Wow, I am pleasantly surprised that worked out for you.

Did your old batteries ever work right? If so, you will find the performance of the new batteries better in every way comparing new to new, especially for cold weather use. I'll take the new style battery over the old one every day of the week.

Comment

Man, Do not worry about Registration. Ridgid Life Time Warranty is a big joke anyway. I returned my batteries and charger back to Certified Ridgid Retailer on 02/25/2012. I did not have replacements back yet. Even more: Bergen County Motor Tool Co. happily told me they have no idea what is going on. Melony from Ridgid customer Service told me - replacements will be (probably) in next 2-3 weeks (may be not, ha-ha). This company needs to learn how to take care about customers. Man, let's try Dewalt for now.

Comment

Working...
                            X