Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Is there phone warranty support for simple part replacements? r2901 router part Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there phone warranty support for simple part replacements? r2901 router part

I have a new r2901 router that has been used about 10 times, and the upper lip of the collet sheared off, The nut uses this lip to pull the collet out so without this lip getting the pit out is a pain in the ***. I can order a replacement part, but $35 for just the collet on a $200 router is insane markup. Besides it has the LSA warranty. The website doesnt indicate any way to call and get a warranty replacement, seems to indicate that I need to send in the router to a repair facility.. Again kind of annoying when a simple part needs to be replaced.

Any tips on how or where to contact for such a simple service request.

Thanks

Re: Is there phone warranty support for simple part replacements? r2901 router part

Originally posted by solock View Post
    ... seems to indicate that I need to send in the router to a repair facility.
    That is correct.
    All evaluations & repairs must be done by an ASC if you expect warranty coverage.

From the warranty statement:

HOW TO OBTAIN SERVICE
    To obtain service for this RIDGID® tool you must return it; freight prepaid, or take it in to an authorized service center for RIDGID® branded hand held and stationary power tools.
    Last edited by Doctordeere; 03-03-2012, 12:39 PM.
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Re: Is there phone warranty support for simple part replacements? r2901 router part

I agree with Doctordeere,

From everything that I know and have read, you need to send this to an "authorized" Ridgid Service Center. But hey, you can always give Ridgid Customer Service a call to see if you might be an exception. Beyond that, simply locate the nearest service center, give them a call, ask about the best way to ship it to them... which would probably be UPS. AFAIK, they pay for the return shipment.... that has been my experience.

Like any part, whether from Ridgid or anywhere else, there is always a "handling" cost as well as a shipping cost on sending you a part. You can't order a simple screw without it costing you a premium well above the cost of the part.

CWS

Comment

Thanks for the bummer information, I will call monday, and I hope its not true. Spend 35 for a part, spend 20 dollars to ship it, or drive 45 miles to a repair facility.

Kind of makes the lifetime warranty pretty damn hollow if that is the only options. I hate the parts markup being so obscene. If they were more reasonable I wouldnt even waste the time on the warranty.

Ill reply back once I see what ridgid says.

Comment

Originally posted by solock View Post
          Kind of makes the lifetime warranty pretty damn hollow if that is the only options.
          No it doesn't. It only seems that way because it ain't working out in your favor at the moment.

Comment

I had to drive about 50 miles each way 6-8 weeks ago to get to a service center, i thought that was a pretty good deal to walk out with 2 new batteries.
            I don't think you can call up Ford and say my U-joint is going out will you send me a new one under warranty? From where my parents live its atleast 30 miles to the nearest new car dealer of any make and there hasnt ever been any "warranty" parts given without the vehicle there one way or another.

Comment

Gooda or Brie?
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Solock,

There's probably other sources for Ridgid tool parts and you can always check there. M and D Mower (Ridgid Power Tool Parts and Ridgid Parts Diagrams) carry parts for many, if not all Ridgid-brand power tools and if you do a "Google" on "Ridgid Tool Parts" you'll get several hits.

These are 3rd party suppliers and not related to Ridgid for warranty/LLSA issues. They simply give you an alternative source for buying parts! You'll also find that all parts have additional "shipping and handling" costs added.

That is the fact of life in any business. You have to realize that the manufacturer has a cost that must be met with the making of the part. Whatever warehouse and order point that has these parts must add a cost to warehouse and care for them. People who take your order, and the people who have to go down the parts bins and find the particular part, and people who have to carry it to the shipping desk, and people who then have to box and label it for shipping, and then the pickup carrier, the distribution center, possibly the freight shipper (long-haul truck, railroad, or aircraft), and then the final delivery carrier ALL HAVE TO BE PAID!

Maybe if you lived right next to the parts manufacturer and you could just climb over the fence, you might be able to get it cheaper! But wait, how much time would it take for you to case the joint, find the part, and get back over the fence without getting caught?

Hmmmm, $35 doesn't sound like a bad price for shipping and handling after all. Maybe you could just make that call to the Ridgid authorized Service Center and then either UPS or mail the item to them, that might be even cheaper.

CWS
                Last edited by CWSmith; 03-04-2012, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                  Gooda or Brie?
                  Limburger.

Comment

Your talking about the collet nut and sleeve correct? If so, its only 17 bucks at ereplacementparts.com

1/2 " Collet Assy [201389001] - $17.30 at eReplacementParts.com

BTW, the Milwaukee collet works as well, as I have used them with my Ridgid router.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
                      Limburger.
                      A much better choice.

Comment

FYI Ridgid will replace small parts that are meant to be user replacable within the standard warranty, so since this is within the original 3 year warranty they will do it through the mail without requiring the router to be sent in.

Comment

Thanks for the update, glad it has worked out well for you.

Comment

Did they happen to mention what they consider a "user replacable" part? I know it would be different for each tool but there must be some type of guide lines for doing this. Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Comment

Working...
                            X