Not such a great deal after all...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not such a great deal after all...

2009 I purchased the Ridgid 12v Lion mini drill. Worked great for about a year, then I started having issues charging the battery. It would get charged, but I would have to remove the and reinsert the battery into the charger a few times to get it going.

I have read what an ordeal it is to get the batteries replaced under warranty, so I was putting off the inevitable.

Last spring I could no longer the the batteries to charge at all, but since I had just purchased a Ridgid 18v Lion, I put it off again!

Well, I have finally dropped the drill, batteries and charger off at an authorized repair center (read: run down small engine repair garage). 6 week turn around time. Absurd. I just hope that it is actually 6 weeks and not 6 months. Now I'm worried about my 18v system.

Anyone else wonder if it is worth the hassle?

Re: Not such a great deal after all...

You're kidding right? You procrastinate almost an entire year before bringing your drill in for service and now you female dog about the turnaround time?
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Yeah, well as I indicated that I held off because of this very issue. Regardless, the replacement process is still crap. And people who defend it are part of the problem.

Comment

Somebody put a gun to your head and made you leave it at a "run down small engine repair garage"? Why on God's earth didn't you CALL a few ASCs to check on battery availability & turn time?
        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

What makes you think that I didn't do exactly that? Of course I did... and this was the closest option (at 40 miles away). And no, somebody didn't put a gun to my head and make me purchase a Ridgid product either, before cleverly ask that question next.

No, the correct answer would be that Ridgid handle these repairs in-house and accept the responsibility of supporting their product.

Comment

SirFatty: "Regardless, the replacement process is still crap. And people who defend it are part of the problem."

A search of this forum's posts will unearth a number of experiences that differ from yours. I posted an account of my own experience in January. The whole ordeal took about 5 minutes, once I was inside the repair facility. Actually, my issue was also with the little 12V drill's battery. So I (and others) may reasonably defend the replacement process, without being concerned about being part of the problem - because there was no problem for us. It's unfortunate that your experience hasn't been as pleasant, but it points to the fact that all of Ridgid's repair facilities apparently aren't created equal. I can see how that could wind up being a factor in your decision to purchase Ridgid tools. I'm so impressed with "my" service center, that I wouldn't hesitate to continue buying Ridgid's products.
            -Dan

Comment

Originally posted by SirFatty View Post

Well, I have finally dropped the drill, batteries and charger off at an authorized repair center (read: run down small engine repair garage). 6 week turn around time. Absurd. I just hope that it is actually 6 weeks and not 6 months. Now I'm worried about my 18v system.

Anyone else wonder if it is worth the hassle?
              Gwinnett Mower?

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantaDan View Post
                SirFatty: "Regardless, the replacement process is still crap. And people who defend it are part of the problem."

A search of this forum's posts will unearth a number of experiences that differ from yours. I posted an account of my own experience in January. The whole ordeal took about 5 minutes, once I was inside the repair facility. Actually, my issue was also with the little 12V drill's battery. So I (and others) may reasonably defend the replacement process, without being concerned about being part of the problem - because there was no problem for us. It's unfortunate that your experience hasn't been as pleasant, but it points to the fact that all of Ridgid's repair facilities apparently aren't created equal. I can see how that could wind up being a factor in your decision to purchase Ridgid tools. I'm so impressed with "my" service center, that I wouldn't hesitate to continue buying Ridgid's products.
                -Dan
                +1 for me, but took like 10 minutes to get 2 batteries echanged even with a little talking and inspecting my charger and tools.

Comment

What the service center looks like shouldn't be an issue... except perhaps whether they have the "pockets" to maintain inventory. At one time my "local" was barely more than a shanty shed, but I got good service and turn-around on two tools in about four weeks... waiting for parts. But, I had also put off taking my tools to service for almost a year, so "time" can't be of the essence when it's on "them" but no big thing when it's on "me".

But, taking our procrastination out of the picture and asking if "six weeks" is a reasonable time for turn-around, I guess you might have a reason to question that. However, you have to understand that the "ASC" is an independant operator. His time and his inventory are in all likely hood "out of his wallet". I am not sure what encentives, financial and inventory support, may be supplied by "Ridgid", but I'm guessing it is minimal. Perhaps most places that have "ASC" status may be well-established buisinesses; but, many are not and are simply guys like you or I who have hopes of establishing Ridgid tool service in addition to whatever they might already do. To that end, they may (and probably don't) not have invested in vast inventories of parts for tools that they may not ever see.

CWS

Comment

Working...
                  X