Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table saw

Who manufactures the Ridgid table saw?
    I have done so much with so little for so long, I can do almost anything with nothing now!!!!!!!

Re: Table saw

Originally posted by dirtywhiteboy View Post
    Which one?
    Some were made by Emerson. Some (most) are made in China under contract to TTI.
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

To answer that question requires the asking of another, clarifying question.

Are you asking about the current line of saws or those from some time in the past?

As was said Emerson made them for a number of years but in 2003 I believe it was manufacture
      was handed over to TTI when they bought the marketing rights to the RIDGID name for the line
      of stationary woodworking and hand held power tools .

RIDGID's plumbing tools continue to be made here in the US by the same people who have produced
      the often copied but never equaled line of plumbing tools for the mechanical trades for decades.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

If you are asking about current models, then the only saw that I "think" is made by TTI is the wheeled, foldable portable model. The larger shop-style model is very similar to one of the Craftsman and I think one other brand. Likewise the smaller, lift and carry benchtop-like saw is also available wearing the Craftsman brand. This latter little unit has come and gone (although slightly changed) a couple of times now under the "Ridgid" name, although I think it has been a mainstary from Craftsman.

The question on both the largest and the smallest units, is whether TTI makes them for both the "Ridgid" name as well as the "Craftsman" and perhaps others... or whether TTI is perhaps buying from another maker who makes them for "Ridgid" and "Craftsman". Unfortunately I don't know the answer to that.

The whole world of power tools has grown more complex and somewhat confusing with regard to who makes what and what is the country of origin. Brandnames are often sourced from a single manufacturer and the same particular design my well fly "brand-names" and proprietary color schemes, yet may all come off a single assembly line in some far away country... mostly in Taiwan and mainland China. It can be quite confusing, even if you try to follow the market closely, as I think I do.

For example, the issue of "Emerson" products. At one time, perhaps back in the early 90's and/or before, the stationary power tool line was made by Emerson Electric, here in America. But then Emerson contracted most, if not all, over time, to a Asia-based companies... mainly in Taiwan. So, even my pre-2003 old gray-color style "Ridgid" drill press was NOT made here in the U.S. In 2003, Techtronics International (TTI) purchased the rights to build and market using the "Ridgid" brand name (under license) all of these original Emerson designed stationary power tools... AND, they also introduced an ever-growing line of hand-held power tools using the "Ridgid" name. But, in Europe and the rest of the world, these hand-held tools use the "AEG" brand name.

"Ryobi" is actually a Japanese company, known well for its power tools (in Japan), and it's world-wide high-end commercial printing equipment and high-tech aluminum casting capabilities. However, TTI manufactures a completely differnt line of power tools using the "Ryobi" brand-name (again under license). They are significantly different than the Japanese-made Ryobi, which I believe is only marketed in Japan.

TTI also owns and manufacturers Milwaukee, Homelite, Hoover, Dirtdevil, and a few other brands and it does so in facilities in several countries including China and the U.S.

If you think that is confusing, you don't even want to look at Black and Decker who has an even longer list of name brands and origins.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

As I've said in the past, I feel it's a moot point, where quality is concerned, where a product is or isn't made. Much more important is the specifications that the product is made too. My Emerson badged Ridgid 3612 is IMO one of the highest quality contractor style table saws ever offered by any company. It's powered by a Made In USA Emerson motor however I can't say for sure where the rest of the components come from but I believe most are not domestic. The sticker on my saw, which is pre-TTI, does not say Made In USA but instead says Built In USA. I don't know what the official difference between "Made" and "Built" is but I'm sure there probably is one.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Sure would have been easier to give a model #...they've made like 11 models.

Full size stationary contractor saws:
            The TS2412/2424/3612 were made by Emerson. The TS3650/3660 were made by TTI. The R4511 was made by Steel City/Orion. The current R4512 is made by Dayton.

I'm not certain, but I think the portable jobsite saws were all made by TTI. (TS2400/2410, current R4510 and R4516)

Comment

I know that the R4512 tablesaw is manufactured by Dayton

Comment

Thanks for the info, I was wondering about the 4510?
                I have done so much with so little for so long, I can do almost anything with nothing now!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the info, I was wondering about the 4510?
                  The R4510 and R4516-1 are made by TTI/Ryobi....

Comment

The 4510 is probably made in Taiwan, but I do not know the exact company. I say Taiwan, because the company's big, 12-inch, 1290 series sliding compound miter saw is made there (the country of origin is listed inside of the saw's drive-belt cover) and the plastic motor case of the 1290 looks identical to the motor case on the 4510. I own both, and they sit together in my small shop.

Both are very fine saws, by the way, and that counts more than who made them.

Howard Ferstler

Comment

Working...
                    X