Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get cuts faster with a grinder?

Hello, I have been cutting this ductile iron soil pipe for awhile now and I am getting absolutely burned out. I bought the piping from someone on craigslist to sell to a metal yard so I am cutting the 20ft pipes into 3rds and loading it into my truck.

However each cut on each pipe is taking me around 15 minutes to complete, so that's 30 minutes per pipe! I rented a ratcheting soil pipe cutter but the chain snapped and didn't hurt the pipe. I have been using an angle grinder with an abrasive cut-off disc. I am using a generator and 150v grinder.
    Thanks in advanced for any tips.

Re: How to get cuts faster with a grinder?

My 14" hilti Gas saw would do a fast job. Also being a welder I have a Large grizzly
    Box band saw. You could cut a # at once ,and do a choir while it cuts automatically. Also My 14" Makita chop saw would be faster than what You have ,I believe. What is #1 Iron Bringing in Your area a ton ?
    Last edited by toolaholic; 03-18-2012, 07:59 PM.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

ductile iron is a bit*h to cut. a sledge hammer bounces off of it.

my 14'' gas cut off saw is all that will touch it.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        ductile iron is a bit*h to cut. a sledge hammer bounces off of it.

my 14'' gas cut off saw is all that will touch it.

rick.
        Many years ago I was scrapping #1 iron. to Qualify It had to beat least, thick as a pencil, no more than 18" wide
        No longer than 60" 1976 $180.00 per ton , Boston. One ton was one Mortgage payment on our New home ! Now it isn't a car payment !
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

1976 $180.00 per ton
          In 1978 we were getting $3.00/hundred or $60/ton for clean cast iron and we thought that was good.

That was the highest price paid in these parts (within 40 miles) back then. Myself and 2 other apprentices
          got permission to have all the scrap soil pipe to sell at the junk yard but we had to pick it up on our own time.
          So for the next few saturdays we worked a half day (junk yard lcosed at Noon) and piled as much as we could
          on an old chevy c10 p/u and headed off to the junk yard. 1 six pack of beer covered our unloading 'fee' for the
          day by the guy working the crane with the electro-magnet in about 90 seconds (2 picks), and if we had enough
          time we would go back and load up for a second trip. all told we hauled ~14 tons and each made about $300,
          which back then when we were making about $4/hr was a good piece of change. we were happy and the job
          got cleaned up so the GF was happy too.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
          X