X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advantage of Aluminum wiring vs Copper wiring in power tools

I have noticed that some products; bench grinders and drill presses have started using aluminum wiring in their motors instead of copper. Is there an advantage to having aluminum wiring? Or should I avoid products with this type of motor?

Thank you

Re: Advantage of Aluminum wiring vs Copper wiring in power tools

my guess is it is a cost cutting issue by the manufacture,

price some copper wire and then some aluminum wire.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I agree, it's all about cutting cost and they don't care about performance. I replaced much of the old aluminum wiring in my first home. My understanding is that it does not perform as well or is as safe as copper. I have also noticed that the guage of wire and quality of switches on most appliances and motors is very poor. They are making these things so they just barely operate. My $400.00 pool pump has a rocker switch that belongs on an easy bake oven, had to be replaced after two seasons. My 4 month old toaster oven already needs replacing. Sorry to complain but I just don't think we are getting value for our money. How many times must we replace the same item? Seems that years ago things held up longer?

Comment

Yesterday's aluminum wiring is not today's AA-8000 aluminum wiring. Aluminum wiring is now manufactured with a thin oxide coating that prevents corrosion. The "creepage" issue is no longer a problem today. Earlier aluminum wiring was utility-grade aluminum and was typically terminated with steel screws. Today's AA-8000 wiring (terminated with brass) specs head on with copper. Because aluminum wiring can meet standards set for copper in the past, it's currently part of the specs for hospitals, malls, prisons, and schools all over North America. Today, the primary problem is getting contractors/installers to follow the guidelines for proper connections. There have been any number of studies done that compare the performance of copper wiring with aluminum wiring - with proper installations. The product changed because it had to. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any real comparisons between motors using copper or aluminum.

I'm not a cheerleader for aluminum, and I'm not out to change the minds of any old-school electricians. I just wanted to point out that AA-8000 aluminum is NOT your father's aluminum.

Comment

Thanks for the info on the 'new' aluminum wire and cable. But the winding inside a motor and the wire or cable used to distribute power are different applications as I see it. How does the new aluminum compare to copper in motor windings and transformers?
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

How does the NEW ALUMINUM handle heat ??? Bet it isn't used in 3 phase motors !
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I do believe it is a cost cutting measure,

but the insulation most likely would break down before the wire it self regardless if it Aluminum or copper, for most instances I doubt if the consumer will see any difference in the operation of the machine,

I do not know currently but in the 70's and the 80's I was told many of the home shop welders (AC) were aluminum wound wire, and it was suggested it buying one make sure it was copper wound, but I never heard of any complaints

If you look up articles written on the subject it will discuss the efficiency of copper over aluminum in conductivity and so on, and AL needing larger wire size and so on,
              but if one considers the time in which most power tools operate on a continuous bases, the run time is small, and the "efficiency cost" would be very small, for the average user, and like said the largest problems were connections, (in a factory the connections can be controlled),
              my guess for the largest part to the end user there would be little if any difference in reliability or use.

say for instance you have a bench grinder, and it is aluminum wound, as long as it turns on and runs, and one can grind some thing on it, and it has the rated power, do you care?

very interesting read on the subject and on transformers and other commercial uses,
              http://www.geindustrial.com/Newslett..._vs_Copper.pdf

here is where you can get your three phase aluminum wore wound motors, MS Series Aluminum Wire Three Phase Electric Motor - China Aluminum Frame Motor,High Quality Motor,Copper Wire Motor in Electric Motor

interesting article on the subject, Enameled Aluminum Wire Technology Breakthrough
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I have to agree with BHD - that the use of aluminum wiring is generally a cost-cutting measure. But there is one other legitimate reason for using aluminum, and that is weight. That's why commercial airliners have been using aluminum wiring. Even if you factor in a size increase from 6 ga. copper to 4 ga. aluminum, a 100 foot run of aluminum would weigh 3.8 pounds versus 11.1 pounds for copper. All that adds up on an aircraft.

But I'm sure that motor windings present an entirely different set of "challenges" for aluminum, and I'm totally in the dark about that. My gut tells me copper is better for continuous use, as BHD pointed out. Of course, many tools (for me) are intermittent use only, so maybe aluminum would perform well at a lower cost and lighter weight?

Comment

For the same horsepower 1phase to 3phase, the 3 phase will run much cooler. But i'll bet you're right simply because three phase equipment is marketed to industry/manufacturing who expect their motors to run sometimes 24/7 under fluctuating loads. Throwing aluminum at the home user is a way to save a buck .

Comment

Working...
                  X