• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resharpening planer knives

Anyone used a sharpener like this?

G2790 Universal Knife Grinder

Using a planer blade sharpener

"When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Re: Resharpening planer knives

My son has one of those grinders. I have used it several times for my planer and jointer blades. Works great!

Comment

At $259 I would need to buy a bunch of blades before I would break even.
      I guess if you were going through a couple sets of blades a year on
      a jointer and a planer then it might pay off. Or if you had someone
      close by that you could share the cost and use with that could work too.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

My son had his own business--did a lot of kitchen and bath remodels--and used both pieces of equipment a lot, so it paid for him.

Comment

I do not have that model but have a similar item, and it works well,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I bought one several years ago and found that 3450 rpm is too fast. Works great for large blades like the ones on a tree chipper but fine blades like chisels and planes heat so fast it is very difficult to keep them from burning. You really need a dresser for the wheel, keeping the stone clean is key to lower heat sharpening. Anyone know if the silicone carbide stones would run cooler than the aluminum oxide?

Comment

Working...
            X