X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JobMax_Worst tool I have ever wasted good money on

I will be sending my piece of junk Jobmax to to Rigid, Ohio in the hopes it ends up wasting space on some engineer"s desk. As an engineer myself, I would be ashamed to sign my name to such a worthless product like that. Why can't Rigid fix the tool random shutoff problem with cordless tools? Do the engineers need a basic course in vibration analysis? I took my Jobmax apart to find push to connect contacts on the trigger switch, piggybacked reverse switch. Found clear signs of vibration wear on the tinned wire ends. I have just less than an hour on the tool my wife bought me for my Birthday $100+. What a waste. I re-tinned and put it back together hoping it would function. Nope, same problem. Short burst of function then shutoff as soon as you get close to the work! Then frustration hit; I took the handle to the bench grinder to attempt to anger shorten the base hoping the battery would fit further into the housing. Tried slight twist to the contacts. Still doesn't work. By the looks of what I saw on dis-assembly, I am sure there is some other hidden VIBRATION induced problem internally. I have better things to do than research bad engineering. BTW: Rigid could care less when you call the service center. I will never buy another Rigid tool for the remainder of my life on Earth. All looks with cheap engineering under the hood. Hint to all the Rigid engineers: Engineering for Manufacture works when you don't compromise the quality of the product going out the door. All the DVPRs/DFMEAs/PFMEAs, in the world won't work when you don't use them properly.

Re: JobMax_Worst tool I have ever wasted good money on

unless your birthday was over 3 years ago, the tool was still under warranty without even registering it. of course with proper registration it's a lifetime agreement. i also believe that home depot would take it back in the first 30 days no questions asked.

by tinkering with it and grinding it down, you pretty much own it now. you should have come to this forum first as there is a very knowledgeable member who is a factory service person. he could have set you straight without any engineering degree.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I engineer critical aircraft engine components in my real job. When a turbine flames out at altitude, nobody is thinking of warranties. The high amount of complaints on these tools for the same fault as well as the vendors happy to sell you a new power head on ebay is testimony to this crap. I realize that a power tool is not in the same category as an aircraft engine but good grief, companies should stand up and admit when they have a dud. Have some pride in your products. Oh yeah, BTW this was for my Birthday over 3 hears ago. The times I have used this tool in the mean time was with one hand on the trigger and one hand torquing the battery to keep it running. Warranty is gone now. I am not throwing more good money after a design defect. The low hours on this unit is due to me finding alternate tools in my arsenal to get the job done because I didn't want to fight with this thing. You are right, "I own it" but will soon own a Fein. Good luck with your Rigid..

Comment

Another reason I will move on to a different manufacturer is that there will be no need to post on "help forums" and then get smarty pants replies from LA plumbers. My last post here. So long..........

Comment

Originally posted by kr1000 View Post
          Another reason I will move on to a different manufacturer is that there will be no need to post on "help forums" and then get smarty pants replies from LA plumbers. My last post here. So long..........
          i wasn't trying to give you a "smarty pants" reply. in fact just the opposite. i was trying to help you out if there was a next time.

based on the fact that i have posted well over 15,000 times and well over 1000 photos, i know i've been more than helpful to those that truly want help. you came here not for help but to vent your anger. all you've really done is show us all how non responsible you were in not taking it back or returned for repairs all of which were under warranty for the first 3 years no questions asked.

i really think the blame is on you as you had an opportunity to make it right, but you chose to be an engineer and dissect a tool. now you want to put the blame on the company you never attempted to contact in the first place.

fyi i happen to be a plumbing contractor with 37 years of experience and i know how to follow written warranty instructions. it's not rocket science

i won't even bore you with the $$$$ in tools and equipment that i own of ridgid. some even being 1 of a kind.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by kr1000 View Post

so sad. See ya bi*ch. I love people who think they are better than everyone else.

Comment

May you gat a smarty pants plumber the next time you need one.
              SSG, U.S. Army
              Retired
              K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

but I will have to admit that many times just a little more attention to detail would benefit most ever one, and in the end I really doubt if the cost to the company would be that much as they would have less product being returned and greater customer loyalty,

Had a discussion, with a guy yesterday and he made a comment that company Microsoft was King of "Good Enough", and hardly ever have the best product, but since there a giant in the industry they can do "good enough" and still sell product,

and it seemed not that long ago, companies tried to produce the "BEST" in most ever product they made, and the end results was you can go out and pick up your grandpas tools and they still function and work like the day they were made,

now it seems like if you get a few years out of a tool before it goes you feel like it was a good buy, we have been brain washed in to this throw away society of temporary short lived products, and you will need to up grade to the next model when it comes out, so why make it any better,

but even the companies that made good products many times will not service them so one is forced in to buying new and replacing some thing for a very small part or failure,

one day I was looking up a part for a Dewalt drill, and I was amazed that they have page after page after page of small print single file model numbers of drills seemed like there was 10+ pages of units listed, why change ever few days? at one time they came up with a good tool and it was the tool in the book for 20 to 30 years, now if it lasts a year many times that is remarkable,

maybe the engineers at Ridgid should set up and take note of the problem and improve on the units, they sell and do there BEST on ever tool and BE THE BEST, not just GOOD ENOUGH.

BUY OUR TOOLS THERE GOOD ENOUGH, maybe,

No it may not be rocket science, but may be an engineer that designs critical air craft components maybe could help the tool designers at Ridgid do a better job if they would take head.
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I agree with BHD... "good enough" seems to be all that the manufacturer was seeking on this one. I should point out that for a good period of time near the end of my career I helped teach "Total Quality Management" to our employees (some 1600 of them at that time). One of the credo's of TQM is to "Meet the Requirements"... sounds good, but unfortunately those "requirements" are all too often deemed as "GOOD ENOUGH", which is sort of ridiculous considering that the heavy industrial products that we built for the process gas industry cost $Millions.

On a consumer scale, "Good Enough" simply works and unfortunately too many of us have little expectation and are willing to accept the kind of performance that leaves many of us as frustrated as KR100 appears to be.

On a personal note, my frustration with the JobMax is pretty much the same as KR1000's. This tool is simply below the standards of what I have come to expect from Ridgid/TTI. It's probably just the simple application of the 12-volt Li-ion battery, which doesn't seem to perform at all well with this tool. However, it doesn't strike me as being a electrical contact problem as KR1000's analysis points to. My experience is more like the battery simply does not have the power/amperage to drive the tool unless it is absolutely fresh. For example, I have three of these batteries (two from my 12-V compact drill/driver). If I freshly charge all three batteries, I can get a few minutes of run time out of each of them, before the JobMax goes into it's stop and start fits.

While such "fits" certainly appear to be almost an electrical "short" or "disconnect", a fresh battery will immediately cause the tool to run properly for minutes longer... until it's charge also drops off sharply. Then the "fits" begin again. Unfortunately none of the three batteries have enough power to drive the JobMax for any adequate length of time by themselves and for me, it takes all three to make a cut more than a very few inches in pine.

I'm sure the corded model works much better and if I had my preferences, I'd love to see Ridgid to simply admit to thier mistaken design with this cordless tool and offer a trade-in of the power handle for a corded one. (HEY RIDGID.... DID YOU HEAR ME?)

Fortunately, the JobMax is the only Ridgid tool that I own that I have NOT been satisfied with.

CWS

Comment

luckily i dont have any of those same problems

Comment

KR1000: "companies should stand up and admit when they have a dud"

Apparently one man's "dud" is another man's goto tool. I use my JobMax at least twice a week and I haven't experienced the problem that KR1000 complains about. Like every single tool I own, there are changes I would make to the JobMax's design. CWS mentioned one of those changes. It seems likely that KR1000 may have purchased a lemon and then "engineered" himself a non-returnable, larger lemon.

-Dan

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                        so sad. See ya bi*ch. I love people who think they are better than everyone else.
                        Ditto. And he got what he wanted. The only engineer on the planet who can design a tool the right way to work on it...himself.

And even that self-proclaimed genius couldn't make it work. So Plan B, go to the grinder and modify it because in five minutes
                        he can see what the problem is that a team of people couldn't in 6 months

Typical engineer mentality, and I see plenty of them where I work.

Another reason I will move on to a different manufacturer is that there will be
                        no need to post on "help forums" and then get smarty pants replies from LA
                        plumbers.
                        well just because its made by Fein doesn't mean cr@p. I have a MultiMaster and I had a problem
                        with the power switch on it. Got basically ZERO help on the phone from their support people or in
                        person from the Fein Area Rep. So go ahead and pay three times the price of the JobMax and get
                        the same level of support. And now that Fein has competition (since their patent protection is gone)
                        they make less profit so probably have even less to spend on support.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

"good enough" seems to be all that the manufacturer was seeking on this
                          one.

WE, joe consumer, are at fault here too. We all want the least expensive tool but the highest quality. You can't and never could have it both ways.
                          If we don't buy the better quality and all flock to the lower price level tool lines, then that is waht is profitable to the manufacturer and the stockholders say make more of those cheapie tools, that's what's selling.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          ---------
                          ---------

Comment

Perhaps I'm wrong... (happens on occasion ) on this one. From a "quality" point of view I find nothing whatsoever wrong with the mechanics, motor, and the performance... When it's working! Problem for me is simply there doesn't appear to be enough "juice" to keep this thing running for any length of time.

When it was brand new I performed very well, but after a year of age not so much, because of the start/stop fits it has. (Understand that I have only used this tool about five or six times for small deeds (great for cutting back old trim and especially for cutting through plaster to fit new electrical boxes). So, if I think I need it for this kind of project, I fully charge all three batteries so that I can get the job done. That's why I bought the JobMax, as it fits nicely for these kinds of challenges. I certainly wouldn't use it for cutting a 2 x 4 (as it was demo'd with)... that's just a ridiculouse application I think... but, good for a demonstration!

Thing of it is, I can take all three of the "failing" batteries and use them on my drill/driver with good performance... they just don't drive the JobMax though. I could of course send them off to the nearest service center (via UPS), but since they test and charge well I am presuming that they are okay, and like I said, they work well with the drill.

In any case, the $100 expense (or whatever it was) doesn't bother me. It's the idea that the tool isn't dependable or at least is dependable only for short term with three freshly charged batteries. I'm wondering if any other manufacturer makes this tool as a cordless... everything I've seen so far is corded, but I admit not to really doing any research in that area.

Regarding this guy's complaint, I guess I can fault him for his somewhat "overboard" declaration against Ridgid, but considering I haven't had particularly stellar performance on this tool, my critisism of him is somewhat dampened. Dependance and expectation is all too often overly high, but sometimes just the frustration of not having a tool work is enough to make us unreasonable... especially if we are over zealous and start making claims of our own expertise in such matters. All I know is that this is the only Ridgid tool that I have that I'm not particularly happy with. But, I don't think I can engineer it any better, unless I come up with a plug-in to replace the battery module! (And of course if I do that, then I'm liable to discover how wrong I was about the battery and that it may well be the contacts ... I think I just don't need to go there. )

CWS
                            Last edited by CWSmith; 03-26-2012, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Maybe the problem has to do with the discharge rate when used with the jobmax. Maybe the tool just draws more juice than those little batteries can deliver, and they trip out on high discharge rate or temp.
                              ---------------
                              ---------------
                              ---------
                              ---------

Comment

Working...
                              X