X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Brushes

Mow town USA tells me there is currently a nationwide backorder for part number 827811. These are carbon brushes that fit Ridgid planers.

I guess this says a lot about the quality of the motor. As for me, my planer was used for only about 3 hours before the brushes started arching.

It does not pay to purchase cheap tools.

Re: Motor Brushes

Originally posted by rpondanround View Post
    Mow town USA tells me there is currently a nationwide backorder for part number 827811. These are carbon brushes that fit Ridgid planers.

I guess this says a lot about the quality of the motor. As for me, my planer was used for only about 3 hours before the brushes started arching.

It does not pay to purchase cheap tools.

Are you talking about the thickness planer, and if so, what model? Also, what does the availability of the brushes have to do with the "quality of the motor"?

Are you sure they brushes are "arcing" or are you just seeing sparks and have you pulled the brushes to exam them? New motors often show "spark" as the brushes may not yet be worn in. That doesn't mean anything is defective or cheap, it simply means that the brushes haven't fully seated against the armature yet and thus "sparks" may be evident before full contact has been achieved during the wear-in process.

Finally, I wouldn't exactly call either the Ridgid Thickness Planer or the Planer/Jointer a "cheap tool", they both have stellar reputations. They also have a very competitive warranty and even a 90-day Satisfaction Guarantee. Hopefully with "only about 3 hours" on the tool, you should still be well within the 90-day "Satisfaction" period and can return it to Home Depot for replacement or refund. If beyond that, you are still under warranty. Providing you haven't procrastinated, as is too often evident, you can also register for the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement.... which one of the higher priced competitors offer that?

Hopefully the "arching" as you call it is not really the problem that you suppose. Otherwise, follow up on the warranty... brushes should be covered, IIRC.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Erepacementparts.com has them it looks like to me 16 in stock as i write this.
      Brush and Spring (Sold Individually) [827811] - $4.80 at eReplacementParts.com

but i agree with CSWmith, new brushes come with square sides and have to run on a cylinder ( the armature ) so there is a wear in period for them to match up completly.

hope this helps

Comment

Purchased brushes yesterday from a local repair shop. Neither brush would fit in the rear brush holder, resulting in the requirement to hand sand one of the brushes to fit the holder. I am not the only one having this problem. I guess this says more about the quality of the motor. Even with the new brushes, arching is still visible. If the brushes are not a problem, why is Ridgid Parts out of stock and on nation wide backorder as per Mow Town?

I purchased this TP13002 planer about 2 years ago and as a hobby woodworker I have used it less than 5 hours total; and as for the warranty after owing the planer for 2 years, I am sure the warranty would not cover replacement since it would be considered "normal wear".

New brushes come pre-rounded to fit the armature so arching is not caused by new brushes.

Comment

actually, if you registered for the LSA it would be covered. It specifically calls out motor brushes in the LSA covered section.

Comment

most all brush motors have a little arcing at the brushes any way, take most any power drill and darken the room and look down in if you can see the brush area and pull the trigger, you will see some sparking, I have yet not to see a Bush motor that does not have some arcing even those who are on slip rings instead of a commutator will still arc on occasion, it is an imperfect connection at that point, and according to this video some of the arcing is not at the brushes but at the gaps between the comm bars.

were the brushs wore out? or was there jsut some sparking?
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

You certainly do not have to be in a dark room to see the arching coming from my motor. The arching seen in the video is very small and does not come close to the blue arching that has always appeared in my motor.

Comment

Well I guess I have to ask about the condition of the existing brushes.... are they worn down to the springs, cracked, chipped or what?

The point is what difference does the "arching" as you call it, make to the performance of the planer? Are you finding poor performance and have you inspected the armature and found pitting or anything?

I still think that with a universal motor there will be a certain degree of "sparking" noticed and that will be more evident on a new motor/set of brushes than on a motor where time has worn-in the brush to the point where it better fits the contour of the armature. Under normal operating conditions, I guess I wouldn't see or notice such "sparks", unless I got my face right down there and looked into the motor housing. (Why would I do that, unless my motor was unusually noisey or wasn't performing well enough?)

Thinking about "universal" motors in my shop, about the only thing really noticeable is the hand-held drills that I use... the newer, less used (maybe an hour or so) drills definitely show a lot of sparks. My 35-yr old Craftsman shows absolutely none, even with the lights off. But frankly, I have to turn the lights off to see my three or four year old Ridgid units "spark", and then it's almost a micro-sized hint of a spark. Looking at my three sanders, there is nothing noticeable at all, and certainly even with my Ryobi BT3100 and Ridgid router, I'm not about to even get down there and take a look... who cares, as they are both working perfectly!

So, I guess I am asking what is the point you are concerned about, unless you are not getting the performance?

CWS
                Last edited by CWSmith; 03-31-2012, 12:34 PM.

Comment

As I said, I only got about 5 hours on the machine before I had to replace the brushes. The brushes are now new and have the same amount of arching as they did when the machine was new. So, I guess I will have to replace the brushes every 5 hours of usage. The brushes seem very soft, and as stated above I had to sand one of them just to make it fit in the rear brush holder. Neither brush would fit in the rear holder, so one had to be sanded just a bit, (reducing its thickness) just to get it in the holder.

Comment

I am glad your up and going, and hope this set of brushes
                    live long and prosper

Part of the reason I am surprised, as I have many tools and some are even my dads, from the time I was kid, and I am not sure I have ever replaced a set of bushes in a motor, I have taken them out and inspected them, but I think maybe only on one tool, and most of my tools are well used with many times many many hours on them,
                    Last edited by BHD; 03-31-2012, 02:55 PM.
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by rpondanround View Post
                      As I said, I only got about 5 hours on the machine before I had to replace the brushes. The brushes are now new and have the same amount of arching as they did when the machine was new. So, I guess I will have to replace the brushes every 5 hours of usage. The brushes seem very soft, and as stated above I had to sand one of them just to make it fit in the rear brush holder. Neither brush would fit in the rear holder, so one had to be sanded just a bit, (reducing its thickness) just to get it in the holder.

You still are NOT telling us why you felt you "had to replace the brushes" ??? Just because they are showing sparks in NOT a reason to replace them.

Did they wear down to the springs, did they break..... WHAT made you feel they needed replacement?

If they did wear down within five hours, then perhaps there is something significantly wrong with the armature and the tool needs to go in to the service shop. But again, seeing "sparks" is NOT a reason to replace the brushes!

CWS

Comment

Excessive arcing (not ARCHING) along with accelerated brush wear are possible signs of a raised commutator bar (defective or overheated armature). If so, new brushes, even every five hours, is not a solution. Take it to an ASC and have the armature inspected.
                        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Working...
                        X