Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

R4512 fence issues. Am I asking too much?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4512 fence issues. Am I asking too much?

I used a dial indicator to confirm my issues with this fence.

In my opinion, the ‘wiggle’ in this fence is definitely a problem. Depending on where the fence wiggle is when you lock it down, determines how parallel the fence is to the miter slots and blade.
    Last night I used a dial indicator to test this theory. I locked down the fence multiple times, using the dial indicator in the miter slot to test how parallel the fence was to the miter slot. I could never get a consistent reading. The fence would be plus or minus .010/inch at any given try.
    For example, I would move the fence right and then left, lock it down, and then zero out the dial indicator at the end of the fence near the handle. Then I would slide the dial indicator in the miter slot, to the other end of the fence and take a reading. Sometimes it would be -.002 inch. Sometimes it would be +.010 inch. Sometimes it would be +.008 inch. Sometimes it would be -.009 inch. Etc…. I spent a few hours fighting this thing, trying to adjust the fence using the 4 screws on the front. These readings were the best I could get it adjusted to. This thing is just not accurately squared when locked down.

From what I have been hearing, this fence should lock down into the same position every time you crank the handle down. Clearly, this is not the case with my fence.

Do I need warranty service on this fence, or am I just expecting too much out of it?

Has anyone else used a dial indicator to align their 4512 stock fence?

Re: R4512 fence issues. Am I asking too much?

I think you're expecting too much out of it. It needs to be able to move, so it can't be super tight tolerance. Maybe there is a better process of locking down the fence that will help square it up better every time? I know on my cheap table saw I have to push the part of the fence that keeps it square tight up to the rail so it squares off before I lock it down.

Comment

Working...
    X