Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What cells can be used in NICD battery for Bosch GSR 9.6V

Hi,

My Bosch GSR Battery is dead, it has been for years.
    I tried freezing it and at the moment prefer to avoid trying to zap it.
    I opened the battery case and wish to simply replace the cells for new ones.

Can I use any kind of NICD cells producing together 9.6V, as long as they fit in the case?
    Does it matter how many batteries I use?
    Can I use any amperage?
    Can I use any voltage?
    Can I use non-NICD batteries?
    What are the pros and cons of each option?

Thanks,
    Guy
    Last edited by gpazi; 04-14-2012, 01:07 AM. Reason: silly question

Re: What cells can be used in NICD battery for Bosch GSR 9.6V

Send it in and have it rebuit.

voltmanbatteries Home Page
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Dear TOD,
      Thank you for your response.

I am aware of this option.
      I am still requesting an answer to my questions.

Kind regards,
      Guy

Comment

Can I use any kind of NICD cells producing together 9.6V, as long as they fit in the case?

YES... as long as they add up to the total voltage required. Remember, regular non-rechargeable batteries provide about 1.5 volts (per cell), but rechargeable batteries like Ni-Cads usually provide only 1.2 volts. When you're adding up the voltage, keep that in mind.

Does it matter how many batteries I use?

Only from the perspective that they first fit in the case, and second, that they add up to the proper voltage. For example, it should take eight 1.2-Volt cells wired in series to make 9.6 volts. If those are all C-sized (quite a sizeable "lump" of batteries) and you can't find those, then you could use 8 groups of "AA" or smaller batteries if wired properly. Like for example, you could wire two AA"s or three AAA's together in parallel to produce just one of eight assemblies, each putting out only 1.2 Volts... and then you would wire these "assemblies" together with each other in "series" to come up with the total 9.6 Volts.

The number or size of the batteries doesn't matter as long as you reach the 9.6 Volt total that is required. What might matter is the amp capacity of each cell though.... as you ask in your next question.

Can I use any amperage? (do I sum up their amperage to get the total? or linking few together gives the same amperage as of a single cell?)

Basically, YES. The amperage question needs to consider the load that the motor will require under load. If the amperage of each cell is very low, the current draw might well overload them and cause them to drain more rapidly than the originals. However, taken into consideration the age of the existing unit, it would be likely that current batteries of that size are more capable because of technological advances.

Can I use any voltage? (this I know I need to sum up)

Absolutely... as long as they add up to the required voltage.

Can I use non-NICD batteries?

YES, with regard to the motor requirements. Motors don't care where the voltage and amperage come from, and the type of power supply or battery doesn't matter as long as it's DC current, the proper voltage, and has adequate amperage. BUT, you NiCad charger is most likely only designed to charge "Ni-Cads". Trying to charge a "Li-Ion" battery with a "NiCad ONLY" charger can be dangerous!

What are the pros and cons of each option?

NiCads work best for high-amperage draw tools... at least that has been my experience. Li-Ion batteries will hold a much bigger charge, are lighter in weight, and have a much longer charge shelf life; but, they are much more expensive, and they don't like cold weather. Most important is that they require a charger specifically designed for Li-Ion chemistry and are a fire hazard if the wrong charger is used.

NiMhd batteries are generally not used of tools, that I am aware of anyway. I believe that they are not designed for high current applications like tools. (At least I don't recall seeing such an application.) NiMhd batteries also require a charger designed for that type of battery.

I hope this helps,

CWS
        Last edited by CWSmith; 04-13-2012, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Dear CWSmith,
          Thank you so much for your elaborated response.

Just to make one thing clear, is it advised to use batteries with highest amperage possible for longer use? is there a limit from safety or compatibility reasons?

Kind regards,
          Guy
          Last edited by gpazi; 04-14-2012, 01:08 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Guy, not always the case but most higher amp rated batteries have less rated recharging cycles from what I have found. Easy way to find the correct size cell is simply to measure the diameter and length of the existing cell and search for those dimensions.

Comment

Thank you Alphacowboy,

So I should not go for the highest amperage possible.
              But I guess there is some maneuver, so I can go for something a bit higher than my original cells, taking into consideration the reduce in recharging cycles.

About cell measurements - is a cell of the same size and voltage always produces the same amperage?

Kind regards,
              Guy
              Last edited by gpazi; 04-14-2012, 01:09 AM. Reason: silly question

Comment

The highest amperage you are going to find in a NICD battery is 2.6 amp hours. If you got creative you could make a 5.2ah pack by running an additional set of cells in parallel, but it won't fit your case.
                We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I love Bosch tools. However, in your situation, have you thought of buying a new a new tool since it has been dead for years!

'Ridgid' forum?
                  G.

Comment

Dear masterbeavis,

I was not clear with my question. I meant to ask if there's a limit from safety or compatibility reasons. I have edited my post.

Kind regards,
                    Guy

Comment

Dear Big G.

I bought this tool about 7 years ago. I have two batteries, one of which died after short time.
                      The tool works like a charm with the other one so I wasn't bothered with that. But I just started working heavily with it and realized the importance of having a spare battery charging while working with the other.

Kind regards,
                      Guy

Comment

Originally posted by gpazi View Post
                        Dear CWSmith,
                        Thank you so much for your elaborated response.

Just to make one thing clear, is it advised to use batteries with highest amperage possible for longer use? is there a limit from safety or compatibility reasons?

Kind regards,
                        Guy
                        Consider the other responses to this question of course. I think there is simply a practical limit as to what can be achieved in a compact battery and IMHO, I think that within those parameters there is a pretty good safety margin. About the only safety issue, beyond any mentioned in the product manual, would be a concern for doing something "crazy".

We Americans are well known for our innovative spirit and it is not beyond someone's idea of "MORE POWER", to start wiring something together that goes well beyond any educated reason. Point is, that if you stick to convention batteries that would fit within your case I think you will be within safety limit. Go beyond that and you need to start asking more questions about your intentions.

So with that in mind, a larger amp capacity will give you more time before recharge is needed. Basically your tool draws amps at the required voltage. The more amp capacity, the longer the time of operation. But, also the longer the time for re-charging, as the charger also has it's limitations in amperage supplied to the charge cycle. As was alluded too (by Alphacowboy, I believe), a rapid charge of these larger batteries may well shorten its lifespan, comparitively.

CWS

Comment

Thanks again CWS,
                          I got all my answers now

We Israelis are also known for our innovative spirit, but in this case I just want to fix the battery and get a bit more power if possible, not planning anything crazy :-)

Kind regards,
                          Guy

Comment

Working...
                          X