drill/impact driver and framing nailer recommendation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drill/impact driver and framing nailer recommendation

I will start finishing my 1600sqft basement soon. I can image there are lots of nailing and screwing.

I need good tools to help me get the job done.

Can you guys recommend some good tools to me? I saw lots of people use cordless tools. I have a cheap one and battery die in few months in light jobs. Are good cordless tools, like Dewalt, last much longer? which one is powerful, cordless or cord one?
    Last edited by thisnewowner; 04-14-2012, 12:10 PM.

Re: drill/impact driver and framing nailer recommendation

I have only Ridgid cordless tools, because of their Limited Lifetime Service Agreement (LLSA) which you MUST properly register your purchase in order to obtain. The LLSA covers batteries and chargers, as well as other service components.

Since, as a home owner, I only use these tools on occasional projects it seems unwise to pay the extra expense for a cordless tool that will spend most of it's life sitting idle. On a project, these tools will be used extensibly, but then there will be some period of time before they will be used again. For me to have to replace a failed battery every couple of years just doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially with the rather exobitant cost of doinig so.

The Ridgid "cordless" tools that I have though, have held up supremely well and I have yet to replace any battery. My 9.6 volt Ridgid "Pivot Driver" is still going strong after several years (purchased in 2005, IIRC). Likewise my 14.4-V and 18-Volt Ni-Cad battery tools have also held up exceedingly well (drill/drivers, impact wrench, and hammer-drill, circular saw respectively. My compact 12-volt Li-Ion batteries not so well, but I haven't found it necessary to replace them still at this point.

I think most of the popular brand tools will probably meet your needs (though I am not at all a fan of Skil or Black & Decker brands), but I also believe that all batteries will need to be eventually replaced and that can be expensive. Chargers seem to be, surprisingly, a problem too. So basically, I have gone to the Ridgid brand, simply because of their LLSA program. You must understand though, that the normal Ridgid warranty is 3-years. The "LLSA" covers the tool for "Life", but proper registration is required within 90 days of purchase. That registration requires you to send in the original UPC code (cut from the product carton), a copy of the sales receipt, and all of the pertinent info, like the product model numbers and serial numbers, and your contact information. Failure to do this properly (and follow up to ensure it gets registered) and you miss out on the LLSA.

You "titled" your post with "Framing Nailer", but didn't mention it within your questions. I'm in the process of looking at Framing Nailers myself. I'm leaning toward the Ridgid brand, because I have both their Straight Finish Nailer and Brad Nailer and have found them dependable and well made.

However, I've also looked at the DeWalt and the Porter-Cable and find them both to be (at least by "heft") slightly lighter. I'm wondering how much this will matter after a couple of hours of use. I'm seriously thinking about building a major extension to my old garage, including a second floor. That will be one heckuva project for just one person (me), but I like the idea of the challenge and certainly that will more than halve the expense of the project, though considerably add to the time frame.

So, a framing nailer will be a great addition to my tool arsenal. In the past, I've relied on my "hammer", but a framing nailer would be a major productivity enhancement should I follow my desire to attack this project on my own.

I hope this is helpful,

CWS
    Last edited by CWSmith; 04-14-2012, 10:38 AM.

Comment

The "heft" of the framing nailer was a consideration when I bought mine. The price and light weight of the Porter Cable were attractive to me, and the tool has given me several years of good service so far - no rebuilding kits, no maintenance, and not a single jam. Here's something you also need to consider. Does the code in your area allow clipped-head nails? You may need to buy a round-head nailer if you live in an area that is subjected to tornadoes or hurricanes. If an inspection is a possibility, you don't want to get caught with your pants down.
      -Dan

Comment

On the Ridgid nailers, I have 3 and like them over any nailer I have used. I have 1 of the R350CHA model and two of the R350CHD models, the "D" model is quite a bit lighter than the "A" model and many HD's still have the A model on display even though it was replaced 4 years ago....

Comment

On the clipped head issue, I used the round head pasload nails that are approved for clipped head nailers, no issue at all shooting them.

Comment

what's the difference between those two impact drivers:

RIDGID Hyper-Lith X4 18-Volt 1/4 in. Cordless Impact Driver and
            RIDGID 18-Volt Drill/Impact Driver Combo 2-Piece?

compared their major numbers, they are look the same. If I buy the combo, I have two batteries. So I can continue my work if one need to recharge. Am I right?

Comment

Originally posted by thisnewowner View Post
              what's the difference between those two impact drivers:

RIDGID Hyper-Lith X4 18-Volt 1/4 in. Cordless Impact Driver and
              RIDGID 18-Volt Drill/Impact Driver Combo 2-Piece?

compared their major numbers, they are look the same. If I buy the combo, I have two batteries. So I can continue my work if one need to recharge. Am I right?
              yes, more bats the better, but the x4 gets free bat with purchase till the 24th

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                but the x4 gets free bat with purchase till the 24th
                Where did you see that information? an extra free bat?

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                  On the Ridgid nailers, I have 3 and like them over any nailer I have used. I have 1 of the R350CHA model and two of the R350CHD models, the "D" model is quite a bit lighter than the "A" model and many HD's still have the A model on display even though it was replaced 4 years ago....
                  Thanks for that info. I am thinking the display model was probably the oldest model as I don't recall seeing it change since the tool was introduced a few years ago. I'll look further into that.

I'm glad that you pointed that out because I was thinking "the lighter the better". I have been very happy with my other Ridgid nailers (the brad and straight finish) and would like to stick with that brand.

Thanks,

CWS

Comment

Search Results for free ridgid battery at The Home Depot
                    ================================================== ====
                    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

The two piece kit has the older impact that has the LED turn on and off with the trigger, of you are not squeezing it, it's not on. The x4 light comes on and stays on, no need to have trigger slightly depressed in a dark cabinet Then deal with your screw falling off the bit to see what you are doing.

The kit overall is a better deal IMO, but I already have a drill so I would buy the x4.

If you are on a budget and will only need the tools occasionally, have you considered Craigslist and eBay? You can get used tools that will die in a year at the hands of a contractor but will last you 10. Buy your nail gun, build your addition, sell it for what you paid for it, viola, free gun rental!
                      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I have a ridgid corded drill driver. I did not notice the LLSA. I am wonderring how they make money for that? Batteries are expensive.

When I use my drill driver with screw, sometimes the screw head gets worn and also the drive bit gets worn. Is the impact driver will improve this situation? For the impact driver, do I need a set of special bits for it?

Comment

Working...
                        X