Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me chose my pressure washer...

Hi guys,
    First time poster here, but been reading for a bit.

Here my situation.
    Just blew the Honda engine in my last power washer, so decided after many positive reviews to purchase a Ridgid PW.
    Now, the only ones available at the home depot around here (Ottawa Can.) are model RD80702 for 699$ or the model RD80704 for 729$.
    It would be a no brain-er to get the most powerful one, *(which happens to be cheaper by 30$) but I read some bad feedback on it.
    Most bad reviews are mentioning the EFI not being the best option for a PW.

So do I:
    Get the lower power PW and 30$ more, and hopes it lives up to the hype or get the 3300 psi 3.0GPM one and hope it doesn't live to it's bad name?

I'll be using the PW for cleaning the deck,boats,cars and the backhoe mostly, and I'm a "better more than less power" person, so which one would you recommend and why?

Thanks!

Re: Help me chose my pressure washer...

Avoid the EFI. I've worked on many dozens of them and the owners are seldom happy campers. If you think you need the extra 300 PSI, try to locate the RD80706 at nearby Home Depots. It's basically the RD80702 but with a carburetor (vs. EFI) and has the idle-down feature.
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

I don't know why I can't get the RD80706 model, only the 2 mentioned above are available.(called 5 stores this morning concerning any other model from Ridgid, no luck..) I know they have them in the US.
      Thanks for the help..

Comment

Here, the RD80702 and 80706 are both advertised at $699 (US) and the RD80704 at $599 (US) and I've seen the 80704 in-store priced at $579 (US) and reconditioned/returned units for considerably less.
        I have no earthly clue why the CA price is so much higher on the RD80704.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
          Here, the RD80702 and 80706 are both advertised at $699 (US) and the RD80704 at $599 (US) and I've seen the 80704 in-store priced at $579 (US) and reconditioned/returned units for considerably less.
          I have no earthly clue why the CA price is so much higher on the RD80704.
          Cuz we bend down and take it, that's why!
          Reg. price on the 3300psi is 989$! so 699$ is looking pretty cheap right now and so is that 729$ one for that matter.

Called them back up, 3 stores said they had them at other locations, but called them up, and none have them...
          One is still looking for model 80706 as he's saying he should have 3 in stock but can't locate them. (will call me back)
          Will keep you posted. (fingers crossed!)

Comment

Originally posted by Speedjunky View Post
            ... should have 3 in stock but can't locate them. (will call me back)
            Hope it's different in Canada... because down here, when a HD associate says "I'll call you back" it translates to "Bugger off now... I've wasted enough time on you, inferior being".

Hope you find one. The 80706 is a pretty nice machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
              Hope it's different in Canada... because down here, when a HD associate says "I'll call you back" it translates to "Bugger off now... I've wasted enough time on you, inferior being".
              Yeap, that's pretty much what it translates here as well.
              I called them back though, wasn't going to let them off so easily.
              All stores near by had the EFI model, I did manage to find a non EFI but another 100 miles away.
              Tried to get them to deliver it to the closest store to me (100 miles still) but they wouldn't consider it seeing it's a clearance item.

I might settle for the 3000psi one, since it's closer, but let's see how I feel about it when I'm driving down. That's a 200 mile drive difference for the 3300 one, and about 80$ gas on top of that.

Comment

Well went the extra mile, in this case the extra 200 and bought the 80706 model.
                Took about 15 min. to assemble it (hardest was putting the clip for the wheel on the motor side, to much technology on a clip if you ask me) once oil and gas was in, took 2 pulls to get it started.
                Much stronger than the 2700psi Honda PW it replaces.
                Loving it!
                Thanks for steering me in the right direction Doctordeere!
                Last edited by Speedjunky; 04-25-2012, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedjunky View Post
                  Loving it!
                  COOL! Enjoy!

Comment

why so much dislike for the EFI? just curious, I am actually looking to replace my Ryobi washer that grenaded the pump (luckly engine is still perfect and I have another use for it anyway) I am torn on what model to get. I dont use it that often but occasionally do power wash a house once and awhile for painting but mainly to clean the mower, vehicles and tools IE wetsaw. I was thinking about the 80701 but am thinking maybe I should bump up to the 80702 or 80706.

I had the Ryobi RY80030 3000PSI @ 2.6GPM washer before, and it seemed to fit my needs, but obviously i would like bigger if its worth going up the extra couple hundred?

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                      why so much dislike for the EFI?
                      No dislike. It's a good engine, but would be better suited in a different application where the load on the engine is more constant. A pressure washer consistently goes from no load to full load whenever it's in use, and the EFI typically stumbles and often stalls when asked to perform under those conditions. Put that engine behind a 3500 watt generator and it would work fine. On a pressure washer? Not so much.

The early versions (units with a DOM of 2009) also had power coil issues and fuel pump fitting issues that were corrected in year two of production.

Comment

Working...
                      X