X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid 13" thickness planer stops

Was planing some red oak today when the planer stopped dead, check the overload protector and it was in the normal position, checked the brushes, cleaned the planer very well, etc. It started again and when planing it stopped again. While it was running did see a lot of sparking in the motor, had not noticed that before. Didi not use it for a while and it started again then stopped, has not started since then. So what next?

Re: Rigid 13" thickness planer stops

Holy crap. How much were taking off the board?

You better find an authorized repair center and bring it there. The LLSA should cover you, so make sure you bring your paper work and LLSA number.

Comment

Taking off 1/64". Thought I'd have to take it to a service center.

Comment

Kenzen,

Welcome to the Ridgid forum!

You didn't mention the model (thought that doesn't really matter) or how old your planer might be (that might matter). Certainly, 1/64th should not be any kind of a problem for this planer.

But, I'm wondering what the condition of the motor brushes might be? The stop/start behaviour and the before unseen sparking hints to me that they may have worn down. This of course should only be a probability if the unit has some significant time on it. If that is the case, check the brushes (planer unplugged of course!) The brushes are easily replaceable, as I recall.

If the brushes are NOT the problem or if the unit is relatively new and you decide that the brushes are premature (if it IS the brushes), then your best avenue is to call your nearest Ridgid Service Center and schedule to get this to them for thier inspection and repair. The warranty is normally three years and if you were smart enough to register for the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement, then you should have no worries at all.

Best of luck to you, and keep us informed as to your findings. Once again, welcome to the Ridgid forum,

CWS

Comment

The planer should, of course, have no problem taking 1/64th. Let us know how it goes at the repair centre.

I didn't notice it was your first posting! Welcome to the forum!

Comment

re: RIDGID PLANER STOPS
            ANY INFO REGARDING PROCEDURAL STEPS IN REPLACING THE DRIVE BELT ON THE R4330 PLANER?

Comment

djboehme,

I haven't had to do that particular belt replacement, however when replacing a belt on another tool, I just called Customer Service, asked for Technical Support and they E-mailed me a procedure.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Thank you cwsmith....as you suggested, I called tech support. TS informed me that there was no written procedure but suggested that I heat the drive belt with a hair dryer and roll the belt on. Took a little more than 'rolling' the belt on, but with the aid of a screwdriver (gentlty so as not to damage the large pulley) to help stretch the belt it finaly slipped on. Also note you must remove the top plate, side plate (pulley side) and the small pulley dust cover to have enough access to perform this task. I hope this helps anyone who needs to change out their drive belt in the future.

Thanks again for the tip cwsmith,

DJBoehme

Comment

dj,

Thanks for posting the advice given to you by Ridgid Tech Support... hopefully it will help anyone facing the problem in the future. I've made note of it, just in case I'm one of those.

Glad things have worked out for you and we were all able to help.

Once again, welcome to the Ridgid forum. I've been here for a few years now and find lots of good advice and information here. Hopefully you will tool

Best regards,

CWS

Comment

Working...
                  X