X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power tool to do wood grinding

I am installing plywood in the basement. Sometimes I cut a little less than in few places with my circular saw and it is to tight to put it in. I need a power tool to cut or grind 1/4" or so from the board. I have a grinder and I though I can buy a disc for wood to cut or grind but I was told there is no such disc for wood and grinder is for metal or stone only.

Then, what i can used for wood to remove that little extra?

Re: power tool to do wood grinding

I use the flap style sanding pads for a grinder with good results on wood. the 60 grit will eat wood pretty quickly. Sometiles they will gum up with burnt wood, but you can clean it off pretty easy just by hitting some metal with it.

Comment

not really understanding what your wanting to trim or grind,

I would think one could re-cut with the skil saw, or one can (not really a recommended procedure), but hold the guard open and use the teeth on the blade to grind the wood.

the do make cutters that will fit 4" grinders for carving wood, most use a section of chain saw, Lancelot 14T Carving Blade
      King Arthur's Tools 47822 4" Lancelot 22-Tooth Wood Carving Cutter Tool for Angle Grinders with 7/8" Shaft

there are some others out there, but the cost is not affordable for the average person, over $100 up to 1000 for the cutters,

if you would chose to use the chain saw tooth carving wheel USE A GUARD.

they also do make hoof trimming disks, that are designed for buffers, NOT GRINDERS, but if one has a buffer (low speed grinder) it may be an option, just do a goggle search for hoof trimming disk, they are more of a rotary rasp,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
        ... flap style sanding pads for a grinder...
        Yep. I keep a drawer full of 'em.
        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

A router, a flute bit, a straight edge, and a couple of clamps.

Comment

It all depends on "how much" wood you need to remove. Personally, that's what a good hand plane is for, it's safer and you can just make a couple of quick passes and be done with it. If it was more than and 1/4-inch, maybe I'd just take an ever so slight pass with the circular saw again. But a router, especially a trim router would be an excellent choice, IF it's more of a trimming that an sander could handle efficiently. Like I said, it just depends on how much more you need to remove.

CWS

Comment

You are scaring me big time!

You are a "handyman" yet you ask about using an unsafe method to trim
              excess!!!!

How about measuring twice and cutting once?

Perhaps you should purchase a Ridgid JOBMAX and use that to trim the
              plywood

Or use a belt sander!!

I'll bet you're using dry wall screws to secure the plywood !!!

I may sound condescending and crass, but the bottom line is you should know how to
              safely use tools and how to measure and properly cut material!!! especially if you call yourself
              a Handyman!

Cactus Man

Comment

Yup!
                What Cactus said....................... Unbelievable. (At least he doesn't have a table saw, I hope!)

Big G

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                  You are scaring me big time!

You are a "handyman" yet you ask about using an unsafe method to trim
                  excess!!!!

How about measuring twice and cutting once?

Perhaps you should purchase a Ridgid JOBMAX and use that to trim the
                  plywood

Or use a belt sander!!

I'll bet you're using dry wall screws to secure the plywood !!!

I may sound condescending and crass, but the bottom line is you should know how to
                  safely use tools and how to measure and properly cut material!!! especially if you call yourself
                  a Handyman!

Cactus Man
                  I would also add that one needs to understand and watch which side of the line they are cutting allowing for kerf width for accurate cuts.

Just my 2ยข

Ron

Comment

I've used the grinder to cope wood to uneven surfaces, works quite well mind you.

Comment

Attachment

Perhaps one of the few gems from HF might solve your problem quick and inexpensively. The HF multi tool can trim any plywood "high spots" for your project.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Kutzall makes a great attachment for grinders
                        Basically a grinding wheel for non-metallic materials
                        comes in 36 grit and one that they just call 'very course'
                        Here is a Link to their site - video here as well

Comment

Originally posted by thisnewowner View Post
                          I am installing plywood in the basement. Sometimes I cut a little less than in few places with my circular saw and it is to tight to put it in.

thisnewowner,

I just re-read your post and wonder if you are talking about "ripping" using your circular saw and on occasion you're drifting a bit over the mating line? If that is the case, then I really think a handplane would do the trick for you... but that would probably cost you more to buy than a trim router, at least for a good quality one.

But, if a drifting "rip" is what is giving you the challenge, let me suggest that you use a "factory edge" as a guide for your circular saw. What I mean is simply taking a piece of ply (nice straight edge, usually cut at the factory) that is the full length or longer than your cut needs, and clamp it in place at exactly the distance from the back edge of your saw's base plate and the inside edge of the blade. With the factory-edge board clamped in place, you can run your circular saw and have a perfect cut with no drift at all and thus no high spots that make the "mating" fit sloppy.

For the ply that you have already cut, use the same "factory-edge" spaced in such a manner as to allow your trim router to run entire length and take out any of these uneven edges.

I would absolutely stay away from any "grinder" type tools. At the speed of a typical grinder, they are hard to control for any really precision work like required for mating the edges. That, and the fact that they can grab and jump on you would not only put you in danger, but would also risk really messing up the edge that you are trying to straighten.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Working...
                          X