X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4120 Miter Saw capacities

Ok, can someone who actually owns one of these or has access to one give me a strait answer:

Can it, or can it not, do a 45-degree miter on a 4x4 (3-1/2" x 3-1/2" actual)???

The owners manual only quotes the "flat" capacity at 45: "x6 nominal". I thought it odd that other 12" non-sliding saws claim 4x4 capacity at 45 degree miter so I'm puzzled why this model wouldn't.

I called Rigid but after talking to two people, the second of which had to check with a third, the answer was a rather non-committal "you should be able to do that...."

So which is it?

Re: R4120 Miter Saw capacities

Cutting Capacity with Miter at 45°/Bevel 0°:

Maximum nominal lumber sizes: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2 x 6

The above is from the Owners Manual so the answer to your question is no, it can't cut a 45° miter on a 4x4. It can however cut a 4x4 with miter at 0°/bevel 0°.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Do you have an R4120? I know the manual says 2x6 at 45deg miter, but thats not a complete spec since it obviously could handle thicker than that. Question is, how thick? 3-1/2"? Just shy of that maybe?

And if it really cant miter of 4x4, why would phone support suggest it "should"?
      Last edited by Sunsanvil; 05-02-2012, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Nope, don't own the R4120 nor would I recommend it but that's another discussion altogether. You are correct that the R4120 can handle thicker lumber than 2x but not at a 45° miter. Think about it, when sawing through a 4x4 at 0° miter/0° bevel the saw blade only has to travel both vertically and horizontally through 3½" of stock. Consequently each degree of miter or bevel above 0°'s increases the amount of stock that must be sawn through which decreases the capacity that the blade can saw through.
        Last edited by BadgerDave; 05-03-2012, 09:28 AM.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
          Nope, don't own the R4120 nor would I recommend it
          Do tell?

Think about it, when sawing through a 4x4 at 0° miter/0° bevel the saw blade only has to travel both vertically and horizontally through 3½" of stock. Consequently each degree of miter or bevel above 0°'s increases the amount of stock that must be sawn through which decreases the capacity that the blade can saw through.
          Bevel: vertical capacity decreases. Miter: only horizontal capacity should decrease. The question is, what is the clearance of the arbor/gearbox when the saw is fully depressed? If its less the 3-1/2", then it cant miter a 4x4 (and consequently that would mean when cross cutting a 4x4 the material is "behind" the arbor).

The real question is why could Ridgid themselves not answer this with any certainty.

Comment

Working...
          X