No announcement yet.

R2600 ROS Brake Issue

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2600 ROS Brake Issue

The disc on my R2600 sander began spinning freely, so, after reading posts in this forum, I ordered and replaced the brake skirt. With the new skirt the disc would barely turn--the brake was working too well! Then after 5-10 minutes of sanding it was spinning freely again. Fortunately I had ordered two of the brake skirts, so thinking it might be a problem with the braking surface on the pad, I switched to the PSA pad that came with my sander and installed my other new brake skirt. After less than an hour of sanding, it was again spinning freely and chewing up my project.

Any idea what's causing my sander to eat up brake skirts?
    Last edited by ebaer; 05-04-2012, 12:32 AM.

Re: R2600 ROS Brake Issue

Wild guess, you're applying too much downward pressure when sanding. The weight of the sander is sufficient with your hand/arm acting as only a guide mechanism for the sander.
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Today I installed another new brake skirt and was very careful to sand with no downward pressure except the weight of the sander. I got through about 2 square feet of sanding before the brake was worn out--no more than five minutes. When I install a new brake skirt, it seems like the disc is too tight, but after a few minutes of sanding it's too loose.

What else could be causing this problem?
      Last edited by ebaer; 05-04-2012, 11:22 PM.

Welcome to the Ridgid forum.

Describe if you will, what exactly is happening with this "brake skirt" issue. I really don't know what the issue is here, the expectation of what should or shouldn't happen when the "integrated brake pad" isn't working properly... or if it IS working properly. According to the manual:

The integrated brake pad prevents pad “overspin,” which
        helps eliminate sanding scratches when you apply the
        sander to, or remove it from, a work surface."

My R2600 is the first model, which I purchased back in 2003 and it has performed very well for my often use. The only thing I've had to replace is the hook & loop pad in these many years of use. BUT, that's not saying that the "brake pad" is functioning the way it should or the way you think it should... fact is, I just have never thought about it, and so perhaps don't know one way or the other.

When I first start the unit, it starts of slowly and builds to speed. If pressure is applied, even just from the weight of the sander, the pad spins up. If I turn it upside down, the pad spins ever so slowly (no weight) and I can actually put my hand on the pad and stop it's rotation. But, if I apply pressure the pad will spin. I presume (perhaps wrongly so) that that is what it is supposed to do, and thus such action/design function would keep the pad from spinning under torque from the motor and thus possibly gouging/scratching the surface on first contact. Such a design (as I see it anyway) would be working properly as I describe. The "brake" seems to me to be more an action of pressure on the pad that engages the drive from the motor.

I must say that I may well be misunderstanding of this function and how my R2600 is currently working... but I haven't noticed a difference from when it was first used. In any case, I'd like to know what you think should be happening here and what the "brake" should be doing from your (or any veteran owner) perspective. As you have describe, it makes me think that the difference between the initial starte with a brand new brake and one just several minutes old, is a matter of "wear-in" and not perhaps a matter of actual breakage.

So this begs me to ask, When disassembled, how do the old and the new parts differ? Are you seeing something worn, broken, warped, or what? As described, there should be something that would make the new part and the old part showing something that would make the difference in the performance that you are witnessing.

Lastly, I think you should call Customer Support and ask for a Technical Support person with which you might discuss this issue. But, I really would like your (or any one elses) view on how this "brake" is supposed to function... I may well be embarrassed by my lack of observance of this issue and may well just be blindly happy in that my ROS still appears to working the way it should.

Sincerely, your opinion would be greatly appreciated, Thanks,

When I first install a new brake skirt, the sanding pad has a noticeable amount of friction preventing it from turning when attempting to rotate it by hand (with the power off). If I start the sander and look at the pad (before placing it on the work) I can see it rotating slowly as it also vibrates. The same is true when I place it on the work. It rotates slowly as it vibrates.

After sanding for 5-10 minutes with minimal downward pressure I notice a change in how the brake operates.

When I remove the sander from the work, the sanding pad spins faster and faster until it is spinning at what I believe to be the same speed as the rotation of the motor.

When I place it back on the work it takes a little while before the circular rotation slows to normal speed. It is during this time that the sander creates a gouge in the workpiece from the rotary action of the sanding disc.

When I turn off the power to the sander and turn the pad by hand, there is almost no friction being provided by the brake skirt.

When I disassemble the sander to examine the brake skirt, I notice that the tabs that rub against the smooth plastic on the top side of the sanding pad have been worn down to less than half their original height so they no longer contact the top of the pad with sufficient friction to cause it to rotate slower.

I've replaced both the pad and the skirt and the problem continues.

I think there must be some other problem with the sander that is contributing to this issue, and am hoping someone on this forum can provide additional suggestions of things to check.

Thanks for the explanation. As described I can now see your concern and what appears to be happening here. I'm away from my shop for a few days, but I will check out my old R2600. But, as you say, if it is wear then I doubt that mine is any better than yours and perhaps I just have not paid attention to it; and, I must admit for the kind of work that I have been doing, scratching wouldn't be particularly noticeable... I'm almost exclusively working with pine and oak which receives the finish afterwards. Any sanding to the finish, I do by hand.

In any case, I'll check it out. But I do think your best avenue is to call Ridgid Technical Support actually TTI Group NA) and talk to one of the technicians there. I've found them to most always be helpful.

Kindest regards,

I own 2 r2601 sanders and they both broke on the same day. Similar to your issue, they began spinning freely and were leaving marks on my wood floor. I found this forum and decided to purchase a replacement brake skirt. Also, similar to your situation, once I installed the new skirt, the wheel could hardly turn. Ridgid service provided no help. Fortunately, I figured out the issue after I visited a homedepot and covertly disassembled one of the display r2601 sanders to did a “stare and compare”. What is causing your sander to chew up brake skirts in that a part called the "bearing cap" has slipped. This is the metal piece with the 4 threaded holes that the hook and loop wheel attaches to. Here is a photo.

I pushed the bearing back into the cap by using a screwdriver and a hammer. Photo:

After the fix:

Here is a picture of my two sanders. The one with the brake skirt removed has had its bearing re-positioned correctly. The sander with the brake skirt still needs to be fixed.

What caused this cap to slip is that I have applied too much downward force while sanding. I hope this helps.

Well I thought my last post would fix my sanders Now the brake applies no pressure and the wheel spins way too quickly. I suspect that the bearing must be perfectly situated in the bearing cap to apply the correct amount of pressure to the wheel. Poor engnineering if you ask me. Here was my ultimate fix to the issue:

We'll see how this works. It was $10 more than the Ridgid, but it feels a little more heavy duty.

I came up with a similar solution. Problem solved! (No thanks to Ridgid.)
                  Attached Files

I realize this is an old post, but since the solution to this problem isn't easily found with a web search, I'll add my experiences here.

My experience was identical to the original poster's -- my Ridgid R2601 would destroy brake skirts in a matter of minutes.

The issue was that the bearing was seized. See the first image in ldtwbd's post. I removed the bearing from the bearing cap, carefully worked the seal off (I used the point of a razor blade). Then I blew out the inside of the bearing with my air compressor, shot some carburetor cleaner into it, and it started spinning freely again. I blew it out a bit more and lubricated it with a couple of drops of sewing machine oil. Then I replaced the seal, re-assembled everything (with a new brake skirt) and it is as good as new. Judging from how easy it was to get the seal on and off, it appears that it is just a poorly constructed bearing and allows debris to get inside.

Of course, since you'll need a new brake skirt anyway, you may just want to order a replacement bearing instead of trying to revive your old one. They're around six dollars.

My R2600 in spinning in reverse. I've installed new bearings, new backer pad, new brake skirt. This has been a great sander for several years. There's no local LSA place. in Greensboro,NC. If I have to send the sander to Hillsville, VA., I'm guessing it will months to get it back if it ever is returned.