X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jointer JP06101 outfeed/infeed tables not coplanar

I have been using my JP06101 for a couple years now and was trying to edge joint a 4' board. The result was a convex "belly" edge. I grabbed my Veritas straight-edge and began checking my infeed/outfeed table alignment. Unfortunately, the tip of the infeed table is lower and not coplanar than the surface at the blade. A "picture" to clarify...

I'm following the suggested procedure by the Wood Whisperer here.

I have been unsuccessful in figuring out how to adjust the tilt in either direction (X axis, Z axis). Anybody have suggestions?
    Last edited by zombeerose; 05-21-2012, 02:36 PM.

Re: Jointer JP06101 outfeed/infeed tables not coplanar

I have been using my JP06101 for a couple years now and was trying to edge joint a 4’ board. The result was a convex “belly” edge. I grabbed my Veritas straight-edge and began checking my infeed/outfeed table alignment. Unfortunately, the tip of the infeed table is lower and not coplanar than the surface at the blade. A “picture” to clarify…

Image on lumberjocks

I’m following the suggested procedure by the Wood Whisperer here.

I have been unsuccessful in figuring out how to adjust the tilt in either direction (X axis, Z axis). Anybody have suggestions?
    Last edited by zombeerose; 05-21-2012, 02:40 PM.

Comment

First I want to say that Ridgid technical support has been very friendly and helpful. However, I am choosing to forgo sending my tool to Ridgid because, based on my discussions, this amount of variance is apparently considered acceptable. The support personnel were unable to find any engineering specs but one of the senior technicians stated that not only was this acceptable, but if I did send in my jointer, the tables may return in worse shape. I will pursue my only methods for improving the alignment … or I will be selling a slightly-used jointer soon.

Comment

zombeerose,

I have yet to get my jointer even out of the box (no room yet), so I can't offer advice on what is or isn't exceptable. Perhaps some "numbers" would be helpful from you or from some of the veteran owners here. How much is it "out"?

Personally, an answer like the one you received makes me wince a bit. I do suppose that you discussed some kind of tolerance or numerical dimension that is evidenced in your measurement. While I might understand that the technician may not have the numbers close at hand (but come on, really?), I certainly would think that they should know what is or isn't and acceptable variance and if it is out of the limits of adjustments.

To be further told that service may render the situation "worse" though, seems absolutely deplorable to me. If Ridgid Technical Support doesn't have any confidence in it's service operations than somebody in top management ought to be snapping to attention and looking into the situation. I can't think of a better way to drive customers to the competition than to tell them that they'd be better off NOT seeking service!!!!

CWS

Comment

Working...
        X