X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact Driver and Drill Combo

I purchased the RIDGID 18-Volt Drill/Impact Driver Combo 2-Piece Model # R96862SB a few weeks ago and while the impact driver seem to be doing it's job, I am not too happy with the drill. I have another Ridgid drill before and this one just doesn't seem to have the same power. Today I put a 3/8" auger bit in it to drill a hole in a piece of 2x4 and half way in it locks and made this ERRRRRR sound when my old Ridgid drill could do this without any problem. It also does not have a built in light. On top of that I paid $199 for it.

18-Volt Drill/Impact Driver Combo 2-Piece-R96862SB at The Home Depot

Last week I noticed Home Depot has the new X4 Drill Driver combo out for $179. By simply looking at specs (torque and RPM) they seem to be better than the kit I got.

RIDGID 18-Volt X4 Hyper Lithium Ion 2-Pieces Cordless Combo Kit - Model # R9600

18-Volt X4 Hyper Lithium Ion 2-Pieces Cordless Combo Kit --R9600 at The Home Depot

So I have been thinking about returning mine and pick up the new X4 combo kit.

However, I ran across this newer deal from Bosch.

Bosch 18-Volt Lithium Ion 2-Tool Combo Kit Model # CLPK24-180

18-Volt Lithium Ion 2-Tool Combo Kit-CLPK24-180 at The Home Depot

Now I was told by using a "BOSCH" promo code the price drops to $165, and you get TWO free batteries, so this combo drill driver is $165 with FOUR batteries total.

http://www.boschbestbuilt.com/rebate...rebateform.pdf

Any thoughts? Is the Bosch kit a better quality product?

Re: Impact Driver and Drill Combo

bosch are supposed to be better products. that deal on the bosch combo sounds good, except for the LSA ridgid provides. after 3 years, you're repairing the bosch. the ridgid, with proper registration, will be repaired for free, provided you can find a reputable authorized ridgid repair shop in your area.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I have a few other 18v Ridgid tools so the LSA batteries are attractive.

However, the Bosch comes with FOUR batteries. I am curious about their specifications that says " the DDB180 utilizes an 18-volt Lithium Ion battery, which provides 35% more runtime and two times the recharge cycles of its competitors."

I saw somewhere the Ridgid batteries would be dead after 300 charge cycles. If the Bosch ones are two times the recharge cycles, does it mean 600 cycles?

So if I take two Ridgid batteries it would be 300 * 2 = 600 total charge cycles.

Where as the four Bosch batteries would be 600 * 4 = 2400 total charge cycles?

Does this make any sense?

Comment

who cares. if your ridgid tools are LSA registered, when they stop charging, ridgid will replace them for free. let's see any other battery outlast that.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Bosch drills (and other tools) are of excellent quality. My drills (three) and batteries are going on many years of service. LSA's are great if the product is not so good?

Big G

Comment

Originally posted by Big G View Post
            Bosch drills (and other tools) are of excellent quality. My drills (three) and batteries are going on many years of service. LSA's are great if the product is not so good?

Big G
            all batteries die and lose power over the years, no matter what brand or how good they are. Thie lsa lets you get new ones! It rules.

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
              all batteries die and lose power over the years, no matter what brand or how good they are. Thie lsa lets you get new ones! It rules.
              True, but without a competitive line of tools the lsa is not enough to convince customers needing more than what Ridgid offers. I think that for every additional tool offered by Ridgid sales would go us substantionally. If Ridgid was to offer a decent cutoff/grinder and heavy duty impact wrench I wouldn't be surprised if their sales doubled. Why go to milwaukee, bosch or DeWalt for the tools I mentioned if you can get them from Ridgid and a LSA to boot?

Comment

Originally posted by miamicuse View Post

So if I take two Ridgid batteries it would be 300 * 2 = 600 total charge cycles.

Where as the four Bosch batteries would be 600 * 4 = 2400 total charge cycles?

Does this make any sense?
                That is incorrect. The cells the TTI uses for the RD hyper lithium and Milwaukee red lithium will get you the most charges in at industry at 4,000 cycles. Bosch, (unless they have new technology) will get you about 2,000 charges.

Comment

I have this Bosch combo and recommend it. With the current $40 off $200 promo (when sold by Amazon) and the battery promo, you will be way ahead for $203.00. Keep in mind that with the battery promo, they are the BAT609 slim packs which are 1.3 ah batteries. They still have great run time, but no charge indicator. The new "HC" slim pack batteries are 1.5ah and have a charge indicator (fuel gauge). Bosch also makes a cordless jig saw, grinder, planer (out this summer), a very strong circular saw, band saw, 16ga. nail gun, die grinder, square drive impact drivers (3/8 and 1/2 inch), and two sizes of rotary hammer drills.

As a weekend DIYer/woodworker, I will probably never break a Bosch tool. Nor will I have to wait for any of the the above listed tools to "hopefully" be released. I registered for Bosch ProVantage to extend the warranty to 3yrs for the tools and 2yrs for the batteries.

I would avoid the Bosch combo you listed above. That drill is basically a copy of the Bosch 12v drill with an 18v battery.
                  Last edited by erngum; 05-28-2012, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Anybody know if I can return my set even if I don't have the receipt? I used a home depot card, I would assume they keep that info

Comment

Originally posted by MrPoke View Post
                      That is incorrect. The cells the TTI uses for the RD hyper lithium and Milwaukee red lithium will get you the most charges in at industry at 4,000 cycles. Bosch, (unless they have new technology) will get you about 2,000 charges.

If you believe that I have some ocean front property in Arizona for you....cheap. Why do they make 3 levels of product at TTi if it all uses the same technology?

Comment

They don't all use the same technology.
                        TTI uses the same supplier for lithium ion cells which it developed with their supplier. The cost of the cells is a bit higher than your standard lithium ion cell and therefore are not used in the Ryobi line.
                        These cells are used in the RIDGID line as well as the Milwaukee line, thus why you have similar claims of increased run time, recharges, and increased torque in the red lithium and hyper lithium batteries.
                        The difference between the RIDGID and milwaukee batteries is nothing more than the electronics inside. Milwaukee has a better electronics system than the RIDGID.
                        Feel free to take the batteries apart and you'll see that the cells are the same in RIDGID and Milwaukee.

My knowledge stems from years of experience in the power tool industry.

Comment

Couple comments on this R9600 set I just purchased:

One of the batteries would not accept a charge right off the bat. I returned set.
                          After charging second set, the LED light on the impact drill would not go out. I returned the unit only and swapped it out for new one.

Despite these initial problems, I really like the size and power of these drills, and especially like the LSA warranty!

P.S. The batteries are made by Samsung.

Comment

Trapperdog- Our product team would like to get some additional information from you about the issues you encountered so that we can have engineering investigate. Can you private message me with some contact information if you would be willing to share the details with us? Thanks for your help and business.

Comment

Working...
                            X