X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jobmax purchase: Corded or Cordless?

Price not being an issue, is the cordless version of the tool "just as good" as the corded version? What's the average run-time of the 12V unit?

Re: Jobmax purchase: Corded or Cordless?

the cordless is great for small things, using the multitool cutting head for a couple door jambs here and there or cutting out boxes in drywall or backs of cabinets is ok. The cordless impact/screwdriver/ratchet all are pretty sweet for tight spaces. I use the ratchet driver for working on my vehicles and other small stuff, sure beats banging up knuckles in tight places. The corded version does that and more, if you dont mind finding the outlet to plug it in. Cool thing is, you could buy all the attachments, and they work on both bases, so you can have the best of both worlds if needed. I have both and they both serve their purposes. I havent tried the jigsaw head or the upcoming reciprocating saw unit either. I want a rotory tool head, but there is no hint of that soon.

Comment

I've had my cordless job-max for two or three years now, having purchased it not long after its introduction. While I like the way it works, I have to admit that this is one of my least-satisfactory tools from Ridgid. It eats batteries!!! My JobMax came with only one 12-volt, but fortunately I have two other Li-Ion batteries from my Ridgid compact drill-driver. Even for small jobs like cutting old window and door trim, I have to make sure all three batteries are freshly charged in order to complete the job.

Otherwise, this tool goes into that "start-stop...wait, start-stop" fitfullness that so many posters have complained about and blamed the switch for. My experience is that it's NOT the switch at all, but the batteries. You can then take the same "failing" battery and use it on my drill for several minutes without failure. It's just that the load from the JobMax takes the maximum amount of amperage to perform.

I would purchase the corded unit without hesitation, but have to give a very definite "thumbs-down" to the cordless!

CWS

Comment

I like cordless as much as the next guy, But there is nothing like the RAW power of 110v Vs batteries.......

I would vote for the corded
        Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
        New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
          I've had my cordless job-max for two or three years now, having purchased it not long after its introduction. While I like the way it works, I have to admit that this is one of my least-satisfactory tools from Ridgid. It eats batteries!!! My JobMax came with only one 12-volt, but fortunately I have two other Li-Ion batteries from my Ridgid compact drill-driver. Even for small jobs like cutting old window and door trim, I have to make sure all three batteries are freshly charged in order to complete the job.

Otherwise, this tool goes into that "start-stop...wait, start-stop" fitfullness that so many posters have complained about and blamed the switch for. My experience is that it's NOT the switch at all, but the batteries. You can then take the same "failing" battery and use it on my drill for several minutes without failure. It's just that the load from the JobMax takes the maximum amount of amperage to perform.

I would purchase the corded unit without hesitation, but have to give a very definite "thumbs-down" to the cordless!

CWS
          ^^^
          This has been my exact same experience.
          I bought the corded and retired the 12v base. It's a battery killer.

Comment

I completely agree with all of the previous comments, but I'd like to add one other option to the corded version. I use several of the JobMax heads with my Ryobi 18V multi-tool. The 18V lithium batteries give me considerable run time. Having said that, I still prefer the corded tool for prolonged work such as scraping and grout removal. Like Alphacowboy, I find the 12V JobMax useful for small, quick, minimum-demand jobs. I consider it a "hobby" tool, whereas my corded JobMax and my Ryobi 18V are tools I regularly use on the job.
            -Dan

Comment

The cordless I've found to be fine battery wise with everything but the multi-tool head. And the newer replacement ridgid sent me for the handle issue seems to have fixed the on-off problem I had with the first unit I bought.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                The cordless I've found to be fine battery wise with everything but the multi-tool head. And the newer replacement ridgid sent me for the handle issue seems to have fixed the on-off problem I had with the first unit I bought.

i agree, also thought i heard 18 volt RIDGID JOBMAX on the way

Comment

Any self-respecting RIDGID tool fanatic would buy both and not whine about any problems.
                  They would love them for the orange, and not worry about the price or performance.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bob d. View Post
                    any self-respecting ridgid tool fanatic would buy both and not whine about any problems.
                    They would love them for the orange, and not worry about the price or performance.
                    lol

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      Any self-respecting RIDGID tool fanatic would buy both and not whine about any problems.
                      Truth is
                      Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                      New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

I have the corded model Jobmax. I also have three heads so I can quickly change
                        from cutting to sanding to scraping.

When I originally reviewed using this tool I was not too concerned about not have a
                        lock on feature....but there are times I wish the tool had one!

Considering how many multitool types are out there today I'd say the Jobmax corded
                        model is close to the top of the line...obviously the Fein is still number one.

I also would be interested in an 18v model as I have only Ridgid 18v tools and I
                        do not want to invest in other battery styles.

Cactus Man

Comment

Working...
                        X