mounting my drill press

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mounting my drill press

I have a relatively small space for my woodshop, and am looking for ways to make my tools more mobile. I was wondering whether it make sense to construct a low, wheeled platform on which to place my drill press (15", DP1500) -- I would use thick MDF and heavy duty locking wheels. But is the drill press too top heavy and would this therefore compromise the safety/stability of the unit? Any other ideas/experiences for mounting this kind of equipment?

Re: mounting my drill press

I've also considered a mobile base for my DP1550, but after examining a couple of mobile bases, I decided to just place the tool in a permanent location. It just seems too top heavy to risk moving around, especially when my concrete floor does have a slight slope and I'd be facing "leveling" for any new position.

Ii ended up using "Dri-Core" 2 x 2 panels on my basement shop floor, as it's much easier on the legs. I simply took one of those panels and bolted the DP base to it and I positioned it so that I have adequate infeed and out feed across the DP table. (I do a lot of pin hole drilling on bookcases, so the like with the saw, having adequate space on either side is a necessity.

My shop is rather small at 11 x 23 divided into two rooms with a 48" doorway joining them. I keep my RAS and DP opposite each other in the first room and have them positioned at angles that allow the "feed" to pass through the doorway. Both of these tools are in fixed positions. My tablesaw, router table, tool chest and woodworking bench are in the other room. The bench is stationary, but the other items are all mobile. I move the table saw and router table into a position that allows feed through the doorway as required. Otherwise they go back against the wall to get them out of the way.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Thanks much. Indeed it does, so maybe I'll just make a temporary mobile base for when I have to switch things around.

Comment

Mounting Your drill press ? No Lady s ?
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
        X