Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgids lost tools

Sorry, but RIDGID is not making any cordless jigsaw models at this time
    No, there are no known plans at this time for a 18V cordless angle grinder.
    Howdy Ridgid! Any news on a radio/charger that might be in the works? Unfortunately no, there are no known plans for one at this time.

Quotes from the face book rep. This crap drives me crazy! The cheapest crappiest companies all the way to the best have these tools and more. I know... but we need one more tile saw, 5 isnt enough, 4 or so generators, a roofing cutter? Who on this forum has been begging for a roofing cutter? Frankie arms and others have been begging for an impact wrench and angle grinder for like 8 years!! No instead ryobi, milwaukee, dewalt, craftsman, PORTER CABLE (ARE YOU SERIOUS!!), makita, metabo, and MENARDS GENERIC BRAND PRO SOURCE HAVE ONE!!! What a joke!

Re: Ridgids lost tools

I accept that Ridgid has a marketing department, and that "demand studies" are probably implemented, and that someone has decided that Ridgid doesn't need to offer these tools.

But I'd like to use this thread to implement my own demand study -starting with myself.

I own and use a cordless jigsaw every week I'm on the job. I own and use a cordless angle grinder every week I'm on the job. If I could get an Am/Fm charger-radio, I would use it every DAY I'm on the job.

When Ridgid doesn't offer the tool I need, I buy it from another company. But the message is, I do buy it because I do need it. Ridgid's decision not to provide me with the tool does not keep me from giving someone else my money. My tools are not optional for me.

-Dan

Comment

AMEN! I am getting frustrated with them, there really is no excuse to why these and other important cordless tools are not available.

Oh, and if the "beast" tile saw was in stores, I might have bought one by now, but since I can't get my hands on it to check it out... I'm not buying. Regardless of the reviews, I want to try it out before I buy.

Comment

I recently bought my like new 18v Jigsaw for $50. The guy made me take the cordless hand plane, 12V impact driver, circular saw and the large bag too.

Maybe I should find somebody to make an injection mold and pay to have a few hundred of my Ridgid to Ryobi battery adapters made. If I need a cordless tool, now I just go buy a Ryobi and use my adapter.
        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I keep waiting for the 18v angle grinder myself. I've searched these forums 10 times in 2 years looking for some sign that they're adding an angle grinder.
          I might also add that i want an 18v cordless bandsaw!! Both tools i would buy in an instant.

The new nailer is interesting and i hope a prelude to a bunch of new 18v tools from ridgid.
          I love the LSA!

Comment

The new nailer is interesting and i hope a prelude to a bunch of new 18v tools from ridgid.
            I love the LSA![/QUOTE]

what new nailer?

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
              I love the LSA!
              what new nailer?[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly...

Comment

Saturday I was in home depot and both ryobi and milwaukee had live demonstrations. The milwaukee rep was using his cordless hammerdrill to make swiss cheese out of a good sized log. No ridgid domonstrations, but if there were I would ask the rep if they offered all the tools we mentioned? Come on Ridgid, any longer and I'll be too old and worn out to need these tools! I refuse to accept it is a wise business decision to offer cordless tools with a great LSA and not include popular tools offered by most other manufacturers!

Comment

Here is an interesting follow up to the thread and my mission to get a ridgid 18v angle grinder!

I sent this to Home depot after the following was sent to me by ridgid:

to research and developement or whoever might be interested. I made a suggestion to RIDGID that they should make a 18v angle grinder. So can we get the Home Depot to request it? Just saying i want a ridgid 18v angle grinder!!

Here is there response:

CUSTOMER SERVICE - ALL CORRESPONDENCE
                  SUBJECT: Email: 18v angle grinder
                  DATE SENT: 07.10.12
                  DATE OF REPLY: 07.10.12
                  COLLAPSE MESSAGE
                  Sent by Customer Service 01:42PM on July 10, 2012:

If requested by Home Depot, the engineers would work on creating an 18v angle grinder.

Sent by Michael 03:40AM on July 10, 2012:
                  If you can make a roofing cutter why can't you make an 18v angle grinder?
                  michael
                  harris
                  US

Comment

Originally posted by md1harris View Post
                    Here is an interesting follow up to the thread and my mission to get a ridgid 18v angle grinder!

I sent this to Home depot after the following was sent to me by ridgid:

to research and developement or whoever might be interested. I made a suggestion to RIDGID that they should make a 18v angle grinder. So can we get the Home Depot to request it? Just saying i want a ridgid 18v angle grinder!!

Here is there response:

CUSTOMER SERVICE - ALL CORRESPONDENCE
                    DATE SENT: 07.10.12
                    DATE OF REPLY: 07.10.12
                    COLLAPSE MESSAGE
                    Sent by Customer Service 01:42PM on July 10, 2012:

If requested by Home Depot, the engineers would work on creating an 18v angle grinder.

Sent by Michael 03:40AM on July 10, 2012:
                    If you can make a roofing cutter why can't you make an 18v angle grinder?
                    michael
                    harris
                    US
                    I refuse to believe that response was anything but a complete lie! Ridgid does not need a request by Home Depot to offer the most popular cordless tools we the consumers use and Ryobi and others already make. I think it is an insult to our intelligence to suggest that they don't know such tools as a grinder or heavy duty impact wrench would compliment their amazing battery and LSA. I was at home depot today and there was a huge Ryobi display with every tool they offer and that six battery charger to boot. If that display was representative of Ridgid I would have spent a few hundred dollars. You know what they say about excuses! We need a full line of cordless tools that take the Ridgid batteries and we don't need home depot to request them for us! Come on Ridgid, connect the dots and get those tools made already.

Comment

The "Ridgid" brand is somewhat funny, IMO. First, I think we have to understand that whether it is Ryobi, Ridgid, or Milwaukee... the profit goes to the parent company and the marketing/retailer. TTI is the parent company and Home Depot is the exclusive retailer for Ryobi and Ridgid.

So, it probably doesn't make a big difference to TTI whether a particular tool gets manufactured under the "Ridgid" brand name. If they have a tool under Ryobi or Milwaukee, then they have market penetration for that particular tool. AND, they don't have to be concerned with the burden of the LLSA.

We also have to remember that Home Depot sets the "market"... if they don't want a particular model or tool type, then TTI isn't going to make it under the Ridgid name. We have no idea of the politics that influences Home Depot management and what brands and tools of particular type Home Depot wants to carry. It may well be a deal with other companies.... there are always "backroom" deals going on with what other brands may want or not want and I'm sure there is some influence there. Home Depot has to balance their limited shelf space and keep all the manufacturer's happy in the process.

So, don't think for a moment that a "cordless" jig saw under the Ridgid brand name is a simple matter of someone at Ridgid just deciding they need to be in that segment... there's a lot more in play.

CWS

Comment

CWS, your post laid out some of the things in play, but I'm still at a loss. Why would TTI, or home depot market a cordless line with the "best" lithium battery and attractive LSA, only to hamstring themselves by severely limiting the tools offered? I have to believe that as the exclusive retailer of Ridgid, home depot would want to get the best return on their investment. Why waste any shelf or floor space on the Ridgid line when you have competing brands offering many different tools a few feet away? If TTI and home depot are in the business of profiting from their exclusivity, then wouldn't it make sense to out sell Milwaukee, and DeWalt? The Ryobi grinder and 1/2inch heavy duty impact wrench are not of the same specs and quality of DeWalt, so why not offer comparable tools under the Ridgid label and clean up? Every single Ridgid kit that home depot sells opens the door for future sales from an expanded line, but only if those tools are available. I have yet to see the down side of offering tool for tool against DeWalt and increasing sales if you are in business to sell your product. Ryobi has the low end cornered and home depot is the exclusive retailer of the Ridgid line that does not challenge the other brands.
                        How does that benefit home depot??? that's like owning an exclusive car dealership for a brand that only offers a one color two door model, no wagons, vans, SUV's or trucks. Sounds like a real strange business model! Frank
                        Last edited by Frankiarmz; 07-11-2012, 11:33 PM.

Comment

ok maybe all you say is true. But it doesnt make it better for us the consumer. I think they should tell us why they wont make the tools we want, then what will we ***** about?!

Comment

Well, I don't know that anything is true... as I stated, it was just my opinion or thoughts on the subject as watching Ridgid tools and Home Depot's attitudes and actions since 2003. It is also partially based on my more than 40 years in technical and marketing support in another industrial manufacturing company.

One of the things that I find interesting is that we are so adamant about our Ridgid tool purchases. It's probably just me, but I don't think I've ever been upset because I couldn't buy a particular tool under the brand name that I wished. Sure, I may certainly wish I could get that from Ridgid (or whatever), but I don't think it matters as long as I can fulfill my need somewhere else.

Fortunate or unfortunate, depending on your view, I think we have to recognize that we live in a global society. Brand names are rarely what they seem to be anymore, as many have long ago been bought out, merged, licensed, or in someway acquired for use on a rather broad and all too foggy global manufacturing scheme. In many cases we simply don't know what is going on or where it comes from, whether it is actually built or assembled and who is making the profit from it. Likewise, we don't know what the internal workings are in one of these vast conglomerates.... do "divisions" within a company divide up the market, share who gets what and where, or somehow divide the issue of a new tool in sort of a "you got the last one, so this one is ours!" kind of thing. (I've seen that go on in my company... but worse, before such child-like decisions were made, they actually used to compete with each other... which is just stupid!)

TTI has several divisions or brand names, including Ryobi, Milwaukee, and AEG (as well as Homelite, Hoover, Dirt Devil, & VAX)... "Ridgid" is NOT a TTI company, but a brand name that is used on thier manufactured products under a license agreement with Emerson Electric). It has never been really clear with me how far either TTI or Emerson Electric wants to go with that license, given especially to Home Depots exclusivity with the TTI manufactured product. Emerson's "Ridgid" branded products, like it's pumbing and electrical tools, are NOT tied to that exclusivity agreement, although the Emerson "Ridgid" vacs seems to be.

I guess the point is how upset should we be if our wishes for a "Ridgid" product don't get fulfilled, especially if you get it under the Milwaukee or Ryobi name, or one of the many competitors. I guess it's sort of like really wanting a "Ford" but they can't give you the exact feature and color of the Chevy that you looked at yesterday!

CWS
                            Last edited by CWSmith; 07-13-2012, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Let's look at this challenge from a different direction....

THE BATTERY!

Most all of us would really prefer battery powered tools that all use the same style battery.
                              Thus we only require one type of charger, one style battery etc.
                              When you have Dewalt, Ridgid, Ryobi, Porter Cable, Rockwell battery powered tools in your
                              work truck you must carry an awful lot of other stuff, such as all the different battery chargers
                              and spare batteries.

It would be SO convenient to have all those tools yet require a single charger and battery design!

When one brand VS another brand in tool selection and quality...we become very frustrated!

Remember there is a difference between a $200.00 drill and a Harbor Freight $19.00 drill.

It used to be the various brand names served a specific market. Today they are almost all made
                              by the same assembly line and only the body colors change.

I chose the Ridgid 18v battery powered tools and have tried my best to stay with only Ridgid.
                              It is indeed very frustrating that Home Depot is so HO-HUM about their licensed brand....
                              It's almost as if they prefer Ryobi as their anchor....I suspect profit margins play a roll here!

I have watched those here that have come up with "battery adapters" so we can use a Dewalt battery in a Ridgid tool etc.

Now if only TTI can come up with such an adapter life would be so much easier...BUT
                              this will effect the profit margin for the various battery powered brands as then they will no
                              longer have a propitiatory item unique to their brand forcing you purchase their stuff....

This is also very common within other products such as ink cartridges for printers, LCD TVs etc.

Cactus Man

Comment

Working...
                              X