X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3612 tilt trouble

Hello, I just picked up what appears to be a pristine TS3612 10" table saw from the original owner. Very nice saw.
    I began cleaning under the table area, including all the screw threads. After cleaning all the saw dust and threads, I lubed all the carriage bearing surfaces and screw threads.
    Now I'm checking the angle gauge and find the blade will only tilt to around 30 degrees and then the tilt screw gets stiff to turn. I haven't tried forcing it any further until I find a problem.
    This saw is immaculate, with no buildup that I can see. The carriage moves smoothly with no force required up to the 30 degree mark. This is with the throat plate removed, so it's not the blade restricting movement. It gets nowhere near the stop screw.

The PO has installed a Biesemeyer fence and a Fast Trak miter gauge, along with a nice paddle switch.
    Looks like a great tool.
    Any suggestions on the blade tilt problem from the collective??

Re: TS3612 tilt trouble

you've probably already done this, but it happened to me once on my 2412. is the bevel lock sufficiently loose? also, check that the screws that hold the bevel rod retaining cover inside the cabinet are not clamped down too tight. that bevel rod actually pivots slightly as the arbor carriage is bevelled, and if the plate within the saw cabinet that holds it to the wall of the cabinet is too tight, it can restrict the movement of the bevel rod and the bevelling operations.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
      you've probably already done this, but it happened to me once on my 2412. is the bevel lock sufficiently loose? also, check that the screws that hold the bevel rod retaining cover inside the cabinet are not clamped down too tight. that bevel rod actually pivots slightly as the arbor carriage is bevelled, and if the plate within the saw cabinet that holds it to the wall of the cabinet is too tight, it can restrict the movement of the bevel rod and the bevelling operations.
      I'll check that. The carriage is so smooth all the way up to that point that it is almost some kind of obstruction I'm not seeing, but I need to start somewhere. Thanks.

Comment

if you can't determie the cause of the restricted movement with the saw in it's operating position, don't be nervous about removing the fence rails and wings, removing the saw from the leg stand and placing it upside down. the mechanisms that manuver the bevel and raise/lower operations are really simple. you could probably see the cause of the problem quickly. i did that to an emerson built c-man i re-habbed (same basic saw as yours) and it was well worth the effort in maxing out the performance of the saw. good luck.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Never owned a 3612, but if its like the 3650, check the handle on the blade lock under the table. You can reposition the lever handle so it does not contact the underside of the table. When I first got my 3650, this happened to me (encountered resistance at about 35 deg), and what i found was what I describe above. You should be able to find a position where you can lock the blade adjustment tight but still loosen enough to tilt the blade. If the lever starts out at 9 o'clock when tight, rotating ccw about 60 deg gives enough freedom to tilt.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
          X