X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battttery warranty

I had to replace both the batteries on my drill. I the drill purchased 3 years 2 months ago. 3 year warranty. Any way the new issued batteries Are. under 3 years old. Anyone know if they would still be covered?

Re: battttery warranty

Did you get the batteries replaced under the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement, which you have hopefully registered into, or were they replaced under the 3-year warranty? (The LLSA required proper registration, by sending in the UPC and a copy of the original receipt within 90-days of the original tool purchase.)

If they were replaced under the LLSA, then you need to call Ridgid Customer Service and provide them the new serial number information so they can change your LLSA records. In which case, the replacement batteries would then be covered "for life".

If however, you do not have the LLSA and the batteries were replaced under the 3-year warranty... then those batteries, should have whatever warranty was provided with them. Purchasing new batteries individually (those that do not come with a tool) are not elegible for LLSA registration and thus have whatever warranty is provided on the package.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

MY 3 years was up a couple monthes ago. Not sure what the first replacement have for a wrranty. Life time came out about a year after I bought mine. Might as well buy a new tool for the price of 2 batt. My old Ni Cad from Sears lasted 10 years. I was under the impression the Lith last longer.

Comment

Lith-ion batteries are very unstable and not as good as regular NICAD tools. If your lith-ion battery goes bad you have to buy a new one. That is expensive. When a lith-ion battery dies it is usually the circuit board that is bad and can not be replaced. If you have a NICAD battery and it goes bad you can have the battery rebuilt and keep your existing tool and charger. www. voltmanbatteries.com can rebuild them. They also sell lots of other types of batteries. Fast shipping!

Comment

Well surprise surprise. Home Depot replaced my 18v lith batt. Said they all have a life time warranty. Who am I to argue??

Could not get the commuter to work. ( they never exchanged one before) . I still need to take my sales slip up for some #s but I came home with a new battery any way. I love that service. I hope it works for the next time.

Comment

Elkman,

One of the things I learned early in life... "If it sounds too good to be true, IT PROBABLY ISN'T!"

Back when Home Depot first established a store in our area I was impressed by it's assortment of power tools. But a major turn-off was the idiocy of far too many of the "orange apron's". I overheard the tool manager telling a customer that "Ridgid" was owned by Home Depot, "that's why they are orange". He went on to further tell the customer that all tools sold by Home Depot were "covered for LIFE"....."just bring them back and I'll replace them for free".

And at that point I interupted, asking "Who do we see if you're not here?" His reply was sort of a stammering, "Oh, you could probably just take it to the service desk."

At that, I asked how was it that the warranties on all the boxes were something different for each brand and "Did Home Depot have thier lifetime warranty in writing somewhere?"

Of course there was no answer to that and the "apron" just told us that it was common knowledge. A quick check with the service desk and then with the store manager proved that wasn't true.... Home Depot does not warrant anything, but it does have a 90-day return policy (providing the product packaging is intact) and it does have a 30-day price guarantee.

The point is that "warrantee" and "replacement" policy statements by Home Depot sales associates is too often foolishly overstated, to the point where it's just a down-right lie. Whether this is done out of ignorance or just deceitfulness is anybody's guess, but the results are the same when it comes to a customer's frustrating disappointment.

If you don't have it in writing, then it is not valid. The warranty and registration requirements of any product is usually stated on the box or in the accompanying literature. If the buyer has doubts, then it is their responsibility to get that straightened out with the manufacturer's Customer Service and/or Warranty department. NEVER let the a verbal statement from a sales associate guide you in the possibilities of some future claim. In all likelyhood, that person will probably no longer be an employee and nobody will remember who they were! From a legal point of view, most company's will disavow any responsibility to verbal statements made.

CWS

Comment

CWS makes an interesting point about Home Depot employees. Some of them make judgement calls that are outside of their authority, and even seem to run contrary to common sense or established policies.

I'm ashamed to admit that I've taken advantage of their cluelessness on many occasions. One particular employee is especially misinformed, and I usually go straight to him when I have an issue. Recently I took a very old Ryobi cordless jigsaw to him and explained that the saw had a design flaw that caused the blade to sit at an angle. This was true and I had seen numerous complaints about the saw online.

He told me that Ryobi's policy was to swap out any tools that had design flaws, and replace them with the most current version of the tool. And that's what he did. No paperwork, no research, no phone calls. This is not Ryobi's policy, and even if it were, some kind of paperwork would have to be initiated.

An employee in another store has somehow decided that he has the authority to swap out 10" and 12" circular blades without paperwork. The blade just has to no longer be useable.

An employee in a third store feels that he can mark down the price on any clearance item, to anything he wants.

So the bottom line is that I visit all 3 of these employees, as my "needs" dictate. But as CWS said, I would never purchase an item based on anything these employees tell me. If I don't see the the protection in writing, then I'm probably unprotected.

Dan

Comment

Working...
              X