Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battery pins NI-Cad and Li-Ion 18v battery - what do they signify?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery pins NI-Cad and Li-Ion 18v battery - what do they signify?

Measured voltages on pins +, T1, T2, and - on 18v slide on batteries. Battery voltage present as expected on + and - at 19.36v on Ni-Cad and 19.10v on Li-Ion.
    On Li-Ion battery the voltages between + and T1 or T2 appears to be 19.10v.
    On the Ni-Cad battery there is 19.36v between + and T1 but no voltage from + to T2.

What are the uses and functions of these pins aside from the obvious supply of voltage for tool operation for the + and - pins?

Why no voltage for Ni-Cad to pin T2?

Re: Battery pins NI-Cad and Li-Ion 18v battery - what do they signify?

No techies here? Someone must know the internals of the batteries.

Comment

Re: Battery pins NI-Cad and Li-Ion 18v battery - what do they signify?

On the NiCd battery T-2 is not used T-1 is hooked up to a thermistor and helps tell the charger when the batteries are full. There are two main ways battery chargers measure batterie capacity i.e. 100% charge. Peek voltage which peeks and then drops slightly and temperature.

Because of my radio control airplane hobby I am pretty familiar with electronics, chargers and the different battery chemistry. I am also a regular homeowner and purchased the 18v drill 4 years ago and new. As a homeowner I only have the occasion to use my drill 4 or 5 times a year and then only for a 2 or 3 minutes at most. I am a pit pissed that my two packs are completely dead now and won't even charge. Although NiCd's do loose their charge at a rate of about 1% per day, I have never had a NiCd pack go under 0.6 volt per cell even after years of dormant storage in a drawer. These cells are either completely dead or reading a couple of millivolt. The packs are almost $80 each. those where some expensive 3 minute repairs!!!

Regards,
      Tom

Comment

Working...
      X