X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardner, Inc. Sending Out Used Parts As New

I recently needed to order a new outfeed table for my Rigid JP0610 jointer so I went to the Rigid site (where I have bought other, smaller, parts for the same jointer.) Once I found the part I needed I was directed to the Gardner, Inc. site where I completed my order (as I have done before.)

I received the part today and knew there was going to be a problem as soon as the driver stepped off the truck. The box was damaged on one end and then heavily (and I mean HEAVILY) taped to keep the part in the box. I made the driver wait while I opened it and found that the cast iron outfeed table had been bubble-wrapped once and there was no other packing in the box - which was about two inches too short to begin with. The blade end of the table was where the box damage was and I found a corner that had a small chip missing. When I looked further, there was a dime size chip out of the face of the table near the blade edge and a few other damage marks that I could see on the face without unwrapping the whole thing. I looked at the area around the dovetail ways and found a considerable amount of rust and wear; they hadn't even gone to the trouble of removing the gib screws from the previous installation. It was very obvious that this part was taken off an old machine. No where on either the Rigid site or in any of the documents I received from Gardner was there an indication that I was buying a used part. There was no cosmoline or other protectant that you would normally find on new cast iron parts anywhere on this piece.

I will be contacting both Gardner and Rigid on Monday but wanted to post a "buyer beware" notice here so that someone else doesn't get stuck. I'm done with Rigid and will part the rest of the jointer out. I'll be buying from Grizzly, a company I now from previous experience I can trust.

Re: Gardner, Inc. Sending Out Used Parts As New

I feel for your situation but on the other hand I also don't feel that postings like yours don't hold much water either. Posting a rant type thread like this one BEFORE you have even contacted Ridgid or Gardner to inquire about a possible solution is jumping the gun at best and irresponsible at worst. My guess is that once you call and explain what happened they will make it right but if they don't then rant away. Why in the world would you accept delivery of this shipment anyways? The driver was still there when you found the damage wasn't he/she?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      I feel for your situation but on the other hand I also don't feel that postings like yours don't hold much water either. Posting a rant type thread like this one BEFORE you have even contacted Ridgid or Gardner to inquire about a possible solution is jumping the gun at best and irresponsible at worst. My guess is that once you call and explain what happened they will make it right but if they don't then rant away. Why in the world would you accept delivery of this shipment anyways? The driver was still there when you found the damage wasn't he/she?
      First off, this wasn't a rant. It was intended to let people know that the parts supplier that Ridgid directed me to (in other words, Ridgid's supplier) is selling obviously used parts as new. If this item were no longer stocked and the only source was a used part, then I would fully expect the transaction to be identified as such. No where did I say in my post that either company has done or not done anything at this point because I can't even contact them until Monday. This kind of thing happens more and more every day and it would've been nice to be able to find this type of information before I wasted time and money with Gardner. And, by extension, Ridgid is just as responsible for allowing new parts to be sold as used on their behalf.

And no, I did not accept delivery of the part. I did take plenty of photos before the driver took it back so there will be no disputing the condition of the part when I received it. I had intended to mention that I refused to accept the package in my original post, but I see that I did not.

Comment

Gardner is a huge distributor for many OEMs and thousands of repair facilities. I have dealt with Gardner for many years and have never received a used part. What has happened here, I can almost 100% guarantee, is that a dealer returned that part to Gardner either as a stock return or a warranty part RGA and it ended up being shipped to you by mistake. Mistake... not some sort of corporate conspiracy aimed exclusively at you. I'm confident that you have made at least one mistake in your time despite the tone of your post.

Now remove your tinfoil hat and have a nice nap or a shot of brown liquor, whatever soothes you. Then call Gardner and explain the situation (without being an asshat) and await your new part.
        Last edited by Doctordeere; 07-01-2012, 08:54 AM.
        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

mkel,

I'm afraid I have to agree with BadgerDave and DoctorDeere, until you have made contact with Gardner, you really don't have any idea of what was behind this mistake. If Gardner doesn't satisfy you, then certainly Ridgid needs to be notified. But either way, I also think that you are jumping the gun a bit.

Parts operations are a huge piece of business and if you've ever seen one of these operations in action you would realize the complexity of it. All kinds of people work there and handle hundreds (if not thousands) of transactions every week. Warehousing is a massive task and occasionally mistakes can happen.

Shipping itself may be a cause of the poor condition of the boxing, and possibly even some of the damage... but that doesn't anwer the many other telltale signs of "used" that you have noted.

So while I can understand your frustration and concern here, as well as your willing advisement to the forum, I think you will get this straightened out with Gardner. I do agree with you that Gardner should not be selling "used" parts, unless it posted such... but in most all cases, such parts from any company would be "reconditioned" and not at all in the condition of the item you received. Don't forget, Gardner may well be receiving "returned" and or "damaged" parts, much like "core" parts in the automotive parts business. I don't actually know that, but it could be an "explanation" of how such a part to be mistakenly handled and possibly reshipped.

(When I bought my first computer, it was damaged and replaced under warranty.... three times, with each replacement being "used", poorly packed, jumbled up in the carton, dog-eared manuals, missing parts, and even coffee stains! (I was quite IRATE, but come to find out, their receiving and shipping were in the same room and "returns" simply got confused with "new" computers direct from the factory floor.... point is, human error is all to prevalent sometimes!)

I hope this helps, and good luck on your new table,

CWS

Comment

Years ago I ordered a part for a pressure-washer. The part I received was bent, rusty, and clearly had been used. I called and complained that I should have been notified in advance if they were selling me a used part. The rep. very politely said, "We can notify you in advance if we're selling you a used part, but we cannot notify you in advance if we're about to make a mistake."
            -Dan

Comment

Well, to all those who replied that I was premature in posting, here's what happened when I contacted Gardner:

Yesterday (Sunday) I sent an email to their customer service email address, along with pictures to support what I was saying. The email has gone unanswered at this point (and regardless of what those holier than me think, if you're going to do business and have an email address for people, then someone should be checking that address and it shouldn't take more than one business day to answer them.)

My first call to Gardner this morning resulted in my call being directed to the person who handles "shipping problems." That person is on vacation until July 9th - which apparently the customer service person did not know. So instead of having someone else pick up this person's calls while he is out, the only option was to leave a message and hope that he got around to returning my call before the middle of the month. I chose not to do that and called back to customer service and again explained what happened, including the vacation issue. This time I was told that I would be put in touch with a supervisor and placed on hold. About 5 minutes later, the customer service rep told me the supervisor was in a meeting, but had told the rep that Gardner "just sends out what the manufacturer sends us." No effort was made to take my contact information so the supervisor could speak with me directly. I was also told that I would have to wait until the package was returned by FedEx for my card to be credited and that it was up to me to call them back to follow up "in about a week." Gardner may be a "big" operation and I may just be a single consumer, but this stands as a perfect example of poor customer service practice. Maybe there are so many complaints like this that they have become detached and don't really care. Their commercial customers probably provide them more than enough business that they can ignore complaints from individual consumers. And even if, by some stretch of the imagination, the part manufacturer, TTI, Inc. incorrectly sent them a returned part - or one of their commercial customers did, that should never have been in the same warehouse as new parts being sold to consumers. At the very least, the person pulling the part should have recognized it wasn't packaged like a new part and pulled it from the inventory - even if they were blind and didn't see the obvious defects in the part. You won't convince me that someone working in a parts distribution center can't distinguish a new part from a used part.

Based on the non-response by Gardner, I contact Ridgid Tools directly. The person I spoke to was very cordial and took down my information. She told me that the complaint would be forwarded to a supervisor who would look into it. About 15 minutes after I got off the phone, I received an email from a representative of the part manufacturer, TTI, Inc., asking me to send them copies of the photos I took. About 15 minutes after I sent the email, I received a second email asking for my shipping address and indicating that the would be sending me the part free of charge, along with a set of replacement blades. There was still no explanation of what might have happened and their response was totally unexpected.

Now obviously, TTI, Inc. wasn't even a direct player in this transaction and rightly the resolution should have come from Gardner. But as I've indicated, no one at Gardner was even interested in taking down any information, let alone deal with the issue. For those that think I jumped the gun in posting here on a Ridgid Tools forum, then you've been proven wrong by the lack of response from Gardner. If a company like Gardner has an operation where obviously used parts are intermingled with new then consumers need to be made aware of the incidents that result. Armed with that knowledge, if you chose to go ahead with a transaction then you've done so at your own risk. And, if you did make a mistake, have enough interest in your customers to deal with the issue directly and not with some flippant comment through an intermediary.

Comment

I would say it was premature only in the fact that you had not contacted them yet. As far as the used part, I'm going to guess you've never worked in retail or in a parts store. Unfortunately there are dishonest douche bags amongst us. They return their old parts in new boxes, taped up and even shrink wrapped up as to look new. Sometimes the company doesn't double check the carton for the correct parts as it appears to be unopened, and if they open it, its now considered used and they can't sell it as new and they took the word of the customer returning it that they didn't open it... Seen it before, had it happen to me (wrong product in a sealed box)

Comment

mkel, looks like someone from ridgid took the proper approach and forwarded your complaint and concerns. it's also a pretty good bet, they've seen this post and were already on it. although they might not respond directly to this post, believe me they are aware of your post.

now for my not so fun story. how would you like to go to the supply house and purchase a toilet for a job. go all the way to the customers house, remove the old toilet and find the new one that you just took out of the box was used and repacked in the box and taped back up. it gets worse.

the toilet was originally sold to a plumber friend of mine and returned with the wax still on it. don't know if i was more pissed at the supply house or my friend for sending it back used

glad you got it taken care of. but in all honesty, a couple of calls to both gardner and ridgid should have been able to accomplish the same results.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

mkel,

I am very happy to hear of Ridgid and TTI's quick response to your phone call. It is nice to know that they are "attending to business".

The Gardner story is concerning and I totally agree with your accessment of their business. I would be disturbed, to say the least! That is absolutely NO WAY to conduct business and I am hoping that TTI brings this to their management's attention quickly. There are few things that make me angry more than incompetance and it is apparent by your experience that Gardner really "fell down" on your job.

While I am quite understanding of business, it is frustrating when "vacation" is the excuse for not covering a key position. Apparently Gardner needs some correction.

I'm glad that your problem has been resolved,

CWS

Comment

Working...
                    X