Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3000 psi Power Washer RD80746/RD80947 Hose Defects

Hello
    I bought this unit in March and the Ridgid/oem hose has cracked/split twice now each time after using the washer maybe 6 times or so. Ridgid is going to send another one but the unit is out of service for 2 weeks until the replacement hose comes. Anyone had a similar problem or come up with a longer-term solution? Home Depot gave me a replacement hose called Power Care (the one rated to 3600 psi) but connector does not fit right and so it leaks. Going to try Lowes. I cannot keep running off to the local service center 15 miles away to keep picking up new hoses.

Re: 3000 psi Power Washer RD80746/RD80947 Hose Defects

Originally posted by baq View Post
    Hello
    I bought this unit in March...
    Really? Bought it new? They quit making that unit around three years ago.
    I've worked on hundreds of them. A hose failing due to a defect is extremely rare. If you've had TWO fail, either something is wrong with the unit causing the hose to fail, or something is wrong with how you're using it.
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

>> Bought it new? They quit making that unit around three years ago.

Our local HD's were still selling out old inventory as of few months ago so it's plausible the OP also purchased new since HD replaced parts as well

Comment

Thanks. I double checked the model number and the second number is correct. This is the serial number 71053843. So the unit comes with a 3 yr warranty and I bought an additional 3 yr Home Depot warranty. Since you have worked on hundreds of them how reliable are they? But the hoses are just remarkably awful/fragile.

Comment

Since you have worked on hundreds of them how reliable are they?
          Very reliable... if you're an occasional Johnny Homeowner - type user and you take proper care of it. It's not a commercial grade unit by a long shot.
          Never, ever use bleach or high-alkaline detergents in the soap injector. It will damage the pump, and it won't be repaired under either of your warranties. Best thing is to never use the injector... get a pump-up sprayer for your detergent application. If you do use the injection, properly flush the soap injector after each use. Buy (and use) Pump Saver.

Comment

This is the serial number 71053843.
            No, the serial number will begin with "AL", "AM" or "AN" depending on the year it was made. The first three numbers after the letters will be somewhere between 001 and 365.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
              Very reliable... if you're an occasional Johnny Homeowner - type user and you take proper care of it. It's not a commercial grade unit by a long shot.
              Never, ever use bleach or high-alkaline detergents in the soap injector. It will damage the pump, and it won't be repaired under either of your warranties. Best thing is to never use the injector... get a pump-up sprayer for your detergent application. If you do use the injection, properly flush the soap injector after each use. Buy (and use) Pump Saver.
              Using bleach and/or similar cleaners is totally fine with downstream injection. You're starting to sound like a manufacturer... You just need to flush the system really good with fresh water after each use. I've been doing this for about 10 years now on 2 different PWs without a single issue. My typical concoction is 16 oz. of outdoor bleach and 16 oz. of Simple Green diluted with 3/4 gallon of water. That is fed through the chemical injection system and diluted to about 10:1. When I first started pressure washing I tried the off-the-shelf cleaners and they are a damn joke. I also tried industrial strength "purple" degreaser with great results, but it can be harsh on some surfaces such as aluminum siding. The bleach/Simple Green works great on ANY surface and is quite safe.

Main thing with pressure washers is how they're treated during use and maintained for storage. Honestly I can't understand why people have so many problems with new or like-new machines. Seems like a lack of mechanical knowledge more than any other factor.

After each use I use compressed air and blow all water out of the hose(s), wand, etc. I also detach the hoses from the pump and pull the engine over a few times (in OFF position) to get rid of any water trapped in the pump. If I won't be using it for at least a few weeks I add Pump Saver. Every 2-3 times using it I lightly grease all o-rings, threaded fittings, hose ends, etc. Also, check that all nozzles are clean/free of obstruction and oil turbo nozzles often to ensure proper operation. One last thing I suggest is to add a good filter for incoming water and don't rely on those cheesy rubber seals with a coarse screen made into them. Get something like this... Aluminium Water Filter Aluminium Filter [] - £14.39 : Pressure Washers, All Sorts of Pressure Washers

A little bit of maintenance will go a long way and I've never had a single failure/issue after hundreds of hours of use.

Comment

Working...
              X