X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 1550 Drill Press Replacement Parts

I'm trying to get part number 828880, a replacement spring/coil mechanism for my Ridgid Drill Press. Every place that I've contacted is backordered.

1. Have other people had this problem?
    2. Where have you purchased replacement parts?
    3. Do you know the best place to purchase this replacement part?
    4. How does Ridgid sell "Professional" Drill Press that takes an estimated month to put back into working order?

This part is in such high demand that the country seems to be sold out.

The light bulb never worked, the safety switch was broken on the day I bought it, and I am NOW regretting the decision to purchase this thing more than any other time.

Nice Product, boys.

Re: Ridgid 1550 Drill Press Replacement Parts

Why didn't you take it back for an exchange or refund? You had a 90-day "Satisfaction Guarantee" to do so.

Personally, your's is the very first complaint that I have read regarding the overall quality of the Ridgid 1550. Some people don't like the collar-like stop mechanism and would prefer the ancient simplicity of a "stop-rod", but I've come to like it quite well and have had no problems with it.

About the only concern that I have read was the friction fit of the taper mounting of the chuck, and a few years ago there was some jamming of the chuck reported, but even that was short-lived.

I've had my 15501 since 2003 and have used it far more than I had ever imagined. To date I've had no problems and everything is working great. Before I bought mine, and on occasion since I made this purchase, I have looked at a number of other Drill Presses and have found the "fit and finish" on the Ridgid 1550 to be as good, if not better, than most other brands, even some which costs considerably more. While the 1550 is not as big and as powerful as some, it has served me quite well and I have never had be less than worthy of any task I've given it.

Regarding other Ridgid tools that I own, I've only had to replace a couple of parts and those were purchased through M and D Mower. Here is a link to their page for that particular component, which you may note it says "available"... cost is $19.02: 828880 - 828880 RYOBI-RIDGID TOOLS PART 828880 - IC SPRING ASM - TTI-828880 - RYOBI/RIDGID TOOLS

The home page for M and D Mower is : Lawnmower parts. Parts for Generators, Pressure Washers, Power Tools, Chainsaws, Trimmers, Leaf Blowers, Snow Blowers, ATVs

You didn't say when you purchased this, so you might still be within the 3-year warranty period (or you may have registered it for the LLSA). Check the Ridgid support page for your nearest authorized service center.

CWS
    Last edited by CWSmith; 08-01-2012, 06:25 PM.

Comment

The reason I didn't bring the press back initially is because it wasn't a big deal and not worth the effort. It was still disappointing.

I am not complaining about the quality of the machine. If I'm complaining, it's because I can't replace a part in a timely fashion. Two different things.

I bought the drill press 1.5-2 years ago. Whether or not the machine is still under warranty is irrelevant. It won't speed things up. It won't make the $20 part appear in this country. It won't get the drill press back to work.

My issue is not that the spring broke. My issue is that a piece broke on a "professional" machine and the part is not in stock at the first 15 places I checked (including three authorized service centers). I was told that it would take two days for the distributor (Gartner, Gardner, whoever) to give me an estimate of when the part could be delivered. This wasn't disappointing, it was regrettable.

For the record, I've been very happy with it...until now.

Thank you for the link. You gave me what I was hoping to get.
      Last edited by CTMatt; 08-02-2012, 09:51 AM.

Comment

CTMatt,

I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment and especially the frustration that you have because of it. Generally speaking, I would not think this part is something that any "Service Center" would have in stock. It is, as far as I know, something that probably is rarely required and in your case, just probably a defective part to begin with. While forum postings are not a reliable source for establishing a problem trend, yours is the first report regarding this component, that I have read.

For independantly-owned Service Centers, there is probably a "recommended parts" inventory that it suggested for them to purchase... and I doubt that a rarely needed/called for component would be on the "recommended" list. This may also explain why your calls for this part are so frustrating to you.

However, your assumption that a "professional" label on a product somehow deems it to be absolutely unbreakable and error free is somewhat naive, IMO. Almost everything breaks and nothing is perfect, but that said, I think manufacturing...any country's manufacturing is good to the point where longevity is prevalent in the majority. If not, they are soon out of the business. "Ridgid" and "TTI" are both fairly reputable global businesses; not without flaws, but still highly efficient companies with decades of good reputation on most all of their products and services. But again, nothing is perfect.

You could of course contact Ridgid Customer Support by telephone, and see if someone there can help you. But I am sure that short of them having it in stock, you are probably going to have to wait a few days. But, how is this different than any other product we consumers might buy?

CWS

Comment

Naive?

I haven't expressed frustration in the part breaking. I've expressed regret in being unable to replace it in a timely fashion.

"Professional" tools will, like all, break. However, they should be able to be put back into service quickly. What else could "professional" possibly mean?

I did contact Ridgid customer service and they sent me to Gardner, or Gartner, whoever they are.
          Last edited by CTMatt; 08-03-2012, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Just for the record, M &D Mower was also out of stock. It took 4 days to get this information.

Comment

CTMatt,

Well, I do understand your concern... it would seem that somebody should have this part, somewhere. Is anyone offering you a reason or a timeframe for getting you the part?; and or and excuse as to why they don't have this?

This particular tool and model has been around for some time; mine was purchased in 2003 and is the old Ridgid paint scheme of gray with red/orange trim (before the TTI announcement in late 2003 and the "orange" paint scheme). I believe this particular model has been around since 2000, if not before. Certainly there must be some stock somewhere.

You could call Ridgid Customer Service again and tell them that you can't find the part anywhere.... they should be able to contact manufacturing to see what is going on. Regardless though, all this spring assembly does is return the quill, does it not? So the drill press should still be useable, if I am not mistaken.

Very concerning that you haven't had any success with this,

CWS

Comment

I had a similar problem with a Dayton drill press sold by Grainger. Parts are no longer available thru Grainger. I spent quite some time but finally found an exact twin to my drill press sold by Grizzly. I called and ordered the parts and within 4 weeks (some were on backorder) I had a completely restored drill press. I suggest that you spend some time looking at other "brands" until you find one that is a twin to your Ridgid. Heck, even try Grizzly, they have lots of parts. One more thing, don't limit yourself to a 15" drill press when searching for parts. Mine actually came from a different size machine but, they matched perfectly.

Comment

I agree with you Museum Guy,

BUT, this is a current, in-production machine! Unless there has been a rash of failures, there is really no excuse whatsoever as to why this part should not be readily available from the key parts suppliers that contract with Ridgid and TTI. I can understand why some independant service centers may not have it in stock, but for what possible reason should a customer NOT be able to procure the item from Ridgid's own parts contractor?

HEY, how about someone from Ridgid answering this question... anybody out there?

CWS

Comment

I've cranked the nuts down tight enough that I'm able to use it...Pull it down, push it up.

I'll check other manufacturers.

Comment

Did you try this place Parts I can't tell if it's in stock or not. Good luck

Comment

For the record: I ordered this part from three different places one month ago...nothing.

Comment

This part is supposed to arrive tomorrow, 9/18. That's a total of 43 days to replace a part (that is manufactured to be replaced) for a tool that is advertised to be (and is) in a professional environment.

Comment

This is, to say the least, a bit concerning. While I'm very happy with my R15501, I find it disturbing that TTI has mis-managed their parts operations to the extent that a customer (amateur or professional) has to "call around" and still wait for over a month and a half to get a part. I can only imagine what the Service Centers are going through... no wonder so many people ***** so much about Ridgid.

Worse still is the fact that here on the Ridgid company forum, NOT A SINGLE Ridge support person jumped in here to assist. What has this become, just a place for customers's to hang out? At one time, Josh, Brandman, and others would have at least offered some direction or advice on the matter. No offense meant to any of them, but it seems there's no one with the time or desire to do that anymore.

CWS

Comment

I gotta admit that the powers that be over at TTI are geniuses. They strike a deal with Ridge Tool/Emerson to put the RIDGID Trademark on a bunch of tools that they want to produce and sell. Good deal for us say Ridge/Emerson, we get a check every now and then with very little overhead outlay and no labor issues to deal with. TTI then proceeds to make product with the RIDGID name all over it but that's all they do, make product! TTI pretty much offers way below average service after the sale when it comes to parts and service. And, the LLSA Program is a laugh. The real sad part is it's the RIDGID name that constantly takes the hit while TTI, the real offender, comes out looking clean. He!!, most people have never even heard of TTI! Yup,......those TTI folks really are geniuses.
                              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Working...
                              X