Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinion Needed: Power Drill (Budget $150)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion Needed: Power Drill (Budget $150)

Hi everyone.

Wondering if I could get some opinions.

I would like to get a good power drill.
    I would be using the drill for regular household drilling, exmaple: putting up pictures, cabinets on walls, wall shelves etc.

I want something that can handle big/small jobs. Importantly, something that will last!

My budget is $150 - does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks for reading - it is appreciated.
    sleekay

Re: Opinion Needed: Power Drill (Budget $150)

I think you need to evaluate the amount of use as well,

I would say a variable speed, (at least 3/8") chuck, (I like the drill drivers with the clutch like most battery tools use)
    the problem with battery tools is that if there not used reasonably regularity the batteries discharge and are dead ever time you want to use them, and so you have to wait some time to charge the batteries to use the tool,

a corded tool works as long as you have a cord, but can set for years between uses, let a battery tool set a few years and you may not even be able to charge the batteries to make it usable,

on the corded tools about any name brand tool that is variable speed and has a chuck size your interested in, will most likely do the trick, and most likely be under the $75 figure, or less, even a lower quality corded tool will last a long time on home type chores,

I think Dewalt has a compact 18 volt dill/driver that is in the $150 range, 18-Volt 1/2 in. Compact Drill/Driver Kit-DC970K-2 at The Home Depot (I would call this a DIY tool, the batteries not not the larger batteries and the drill is light and compact, but should still last if not miss treated, (my neighbor just bought one of these and seems to be happy with it profroamce and they are farmers,

on the other hand in the corded, this is a heavy duty work it to death tool DeWALT Heavy-Duty 1/2'' VSR Pistol Grip Drill - DWD210G - DWD210G (I have a number of cored Dewalt tools and they perform well), but so do my Makita and others,
    the big problem IMO with Dewalt is the cost of there batteries, they last 2 to 3 years and then you need to replace, and if bought single there about $90, and if you get the double pack there about $120 for the set, (I do not have experience with Lithium-Ion batteries)

It is not that I do not recommend Ridgid tools I really do not know any thing about there power tools, If one gets them registered correctly they do service the batteries and tools, where other companies will have you buying new out of your pocket,

I am sure others will jump in here with some Ridgid recommendation,

my son had his Dewalt tools stolen, drill and saw, and he bought a Ryobi set 18volt and was pleased with them, as the cost of the tools and batteries were 1/2 the price, he says they are not Dewalt quality, but they are not bad tools, (made by the same company that makes the Ridgid power tools), 18-Volt One+ 3-Piece Lithium-Ion Cordless Combo Kit-P846 at The Home Depot (I think this is the set he bought),

here is a set of Ridgid, Hyper Lith Combo Kit 3-Pieces-R96863N at The Home Depot

I really think if you stick in the name brand, and get the mid or upper end of the line you will have a good tool that will last you a long time, corded or battery powered,

(really when it comes to it is a lot like getting a car, should I buy Ford or Chevy, the both make good and they have there lemons,

(in today worlds by the time one finds out a tool is a lemon or a gem, they have moved on to a new model so even If I say buy model XXXXX most likely you could not find it on the market now, I have a older Dewalt 1/2 18 volt drill that thing has been used and abused and keeps on going, I have drilled 1 1/2 holes in steel with it, (honestly) and it just will not give up, but it is showing signs of it use, so I bought a replacement similar drill, the new drill is 1/2 of the old one, it has more bells and whistles but only about 2/3 of the power and over heats easily, is the new one a good drill, yes, but it is not as good as the older one,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I would give a little thought to your exact requirements. You mentioned typical DIY projects such as hanging pictures, cabinets, and shelves. If those are your needs, along with household repairs, the drill choice will be simpler than if you plan to build a deck, drill holes in masonry, or hang a lot of drywall.

If those more demanding projects are in your plans, BHD has pretty much touched all the bases. If your demands are more basic DIY projects, such as those you mentioned, you have the freedom to drop down in price, power, and weight.

BHD mentioned Ryobi, and that's the drill I suggest to my serious DIY friends/neighbors. But at the risk of public humiliation, I'm going to suggest that you look at Ridgid's little 12V drill if you think you're a more "casual" DIY'er. Like most of the forum members, I have a dozen drills ranging from 10 amp D-handles all the way down to relatively small impact drivers. I use them all in my work, but my in-home DIY drill is my 12V Ridgid.

I use it for all of the projects that you mentioned, as well as almost all of the carpentry projects in and around my home. The reasons are its small size and weight, and the power is adequate for the work I've described. In fact, I did a personal test of the tool when I first bought it. Using a 1/4" bit, I was able to drill 84 holes all the way through a pressure-treated 2x4 before I noticed a decrease in the drill's performance. At that moment, I became a believer.

So ditto to everything BHD said, especially his comments about Ryobi for the DIY'er. But stop by a Home Depot and check out the little 12V Ridgid. It really surprised me.

(The humiliation can begin now)

-Dan

Comment

honestly, i use my cordless impact driver more than my drill now. the 1/4'' collet chuck will accept the newer 1/4'' hex drive drill bits and then you could even buy the 1/4'' hex chuck. the impact action works much better for driving than a drill with clutch.

yesterday i even used it to tap 3/8'' x 24tpi threads into square tubing. of course this is with a 1/4'' hex x 3/8'' drive socket adapter and using a 3/8'' drive tapping socket. but just about all smaller wood and metal bits are now coming with 1/4'' hex drive. even used my ridgid right angle 1/4'' impact driver to tighten the 3/8'' hex bolts with a 9/16'' socket x 1/4'' hex magnetic socket.

even large holes can be safely drilled with a 1/2'' drive electric impact and impact chuck. it's noisy, but save and will not twist your arms, wrist when drilling large diameter holes with self feed bits. not that you were planning on doing this, but for others that drill large 2 9/16''- 4 5/8'' holes for plumbing pipes.

if you go cordless, get the lithium ion batteries as they will hold a charge longer than the rest while stored.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          honestly, i use my cordless impact driver more than my drill now. the 1/4'' collet chuck will accept the newer 1/4'' hex drive drill bits and then you could even buy the 1/4'' hex chuck. the impact action works much better for driving than a drill with clutch.

yesterday i even used it to tap 3/8'' x 24tpi threads into square tubing. of course this is with a 1/4'' hex x 3/8'' drive socket adapter and using a 3/8'' drive tapping socket. but just about all smaller wood and metal bits are now coming with 1/4'' hex drive. even used my ridgid right angle 1/4'' impact driver to tighten the 3/8'' hex bolts with a 9/16'' socket x 1/4'' hex magnetic socket.

even large holes can be safely drilled with a 1/2'' drive electric impact and impact chuck. it's noisy, but save and will not twist your arms, wrist when drilling large diameter holes with self feed bits. not that you were planning on doing this, but for others that drill large 2 9/16''- 4 5/8'' holes for plumbing pipes.

if you go cordless, get the lithium ion batteries as they will hold a charge longer than the rest while stored.

rick.

Rick, impact drivers are great, but I can't stand the noise.
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Size matters!

Go to Home Depot and handle the myriad of 3/8 corded drills.

You will find weight, balance, trigger location, etc will vary from model to model.

The usage advice you received here from the others is right on.

This may be overkill for a weekend warrior/homeowner..I have a 3/8 corded variable speed DeWalt drill,
            a corded 1/2" Porter Cable hammer drill, 18V Ridgid impact driver and 1/2" hammer drill.

This past year I used the 18V Ridgid impact driver 90%, the 18V hammer drill 5%, the corded 3/8 drill 2.5%,
            and the corded hammer drill 2.5%

Oh and if color matters you have red, orange, yellow, gray, lime green, and many other color themes

Cactus Man

Comment

sleekay, chances are your most recent post is not showing due to a link you attached.

repost without a link, or wait till mark approves it.

what did you end up getting?

rick.
              Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 09-02-2012, 10:09 AM.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
              X