Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I'm Really starting to wish I had never invested in Ridgid Tools

Originally posted by BareBones View Post
    When I started out I had no idea it would take that long.

In for a penny in for a pound is what I thought standing there at the counter and I planned to get satisfaction.

It took an hour and fourth five minutes to do the first exchange for one battery.

After the managers getting involved and authorizing the other exchanges it took the rest of the time to exchange the other four batteries, approx. another two hours and fourth five minutes. So he did get faster and he did explain that he had to do three separate exchanges for each battery, so there was a total of fifteen computerized exchanges he had to fill out for five batteries.
    i guess im spoiled, my service center picks up/drops off my batteries, does info over phone, (2 min deal). Then i merely call RIDGID and give new numbers.

Comment

Hi, guys - newbie here - interesting first read...
      Wow, as a new ridgid owner - bought thru Home Depot - combo pack (drill, impact & circular saw for $199 plus tax) what sold me was several other tech's told me of the LSA and having batteries replaced - I've spent more on batteries for my B&D drill than I paid for the drill, so that really got my attention, tried Kev's impact driver for driving tech screws in s0heet metal and was really impressed. But I'm not sure if I should be worried after reading this - Thanks cactusman and pesciwasp for balancing out the rant (which I would totally be doing the same thing, well except the 4.5 hr Home Depot visit) - I was hoping for more reviews like https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t41600/ . I'll cross my fingers when it comes time for my first visit to a service center. Thanks for sharing

Comment

hopefully you filled out and sent in your paperwork, making copies of everything of course.

Comment

The Chaplin will be here at 5pm Fri. Then You can tell Him all Your Lil problems !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Why would you need to register something that is not made by another company that has a LifeTime Warranty?

Think about it.

Comment

it weeds out all the ebay, swap meet and non authorized vendors. it is for the original owner. plus it's like a rebate. only a certain percentage will follow the rules and redeem the rebate. if everyone redeemed the rebates, the company would loose money.

remember the real ridgid plumbing tools we use, doesn't require a registration process.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                it weeds out all the ebay, swap meet and non authorized vendors. it is for the original owner. plus it's like a rebate. only a certain percentage will follow the rules and redeem the rebate. if everyone redeemed the rebates, the company would loose money.

remember the real ridgid plumbing tools we use, doesn't require a registration process.

rick.
                Thanks. But I have to say baloney.

Their main retailer is available in a reasonable distance to most people. Most, if not all, have a rental department.

Should be as simple as walking in there with a battery, they test it to be good or bad, and replace it if it shows to be bad.

That's it. No mail in this receipt, mail in the UPC, get this special number or card, fill it out online, call the 1-800 number. Plus, in today's time, do you know how easy it would be to just have it bar coded, serial numbered, registered right in the HD? I think it pisses as many people off jumping through the hoops more than anything. They'd probably sell just as much, or maybe more, it they had a 2 year warranty and then a reasonable battery price. People would be much more accepting and probably just buy batteries.

Those that have gotten replacements, what do you want me to say? Great! Glad it worked for you and you're happy. But it seems to be an equal amount that do just as you have and get the run around.

Maybe everyone, or a higher percentage than anticipated, are registering & they are getting into the red. Wonder if that's why some get so much aggravation and run around? If they lose money that's not the end consumer's fault in any way.

That's why I haven't bought anything in the line and won't. Cause part of me just knows I'll do everything perfect, even go further with pictures, video, documents, whatever....and I would be one of those that got the run around. Then I would get so angry that I absolutely promise you that I would send the batteries to Fred Pond's house with a full explanation. He doesn't want that and I don't either-so I stay away from something with a good potential to 'cause a problem like this.

Comment

it was just recently that h.d. rental department became a service center/ warranty replacement center for the ridgid tools. i had posted about it around a year ago when i heard about it at my local hd from the tti/ ridgid in store rep.

it seems like a good part of the problem is with the individual service centers. some people walk in and get a new battery right over the counter and others walk in and have to deliver everything in the kit and wait for months for a replacement.

i would think that at hd it would be a much simpler process and cut out all the independent service center lack of proper inventory.

but i still feel in order to prevent fraud, 1 has to properly register the tool when purchased at a hd with a receipt. go onto ebay and at any give time there are thousands of ridgid tools that would no longer qualify due to not being purchased at an authorized dealer.

look at all the craftsmen tools that are lifetime warranty with no receipt. i know someone that goes to the swap meet and buys the broken and worn out ratchets to save money and then returns them to sears. that's not what sears had originally intended when they gave a lifetime warranty for their hand tools.

ridgid has made it much more official and therefore much more involved to keep the customer honest. it's true we all have read some of the horror stories posted, but at the same time, there are just as many that don't post when they had a good experience with the exchange process.

i'm sure ridigd is looking for a way to streamline the process to make it simple for everyone. and i think that hd will provide a little more relief than an out of stock independent that probably gets pennies for the paperwork they process.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

They'd probably sell just as much, or maybe more, it they had a 2 year warranty and then a reasonable battery price. People would be much more accepting and probably just buy batteries.

Ill do ya one better, they already have a 3 year warranty where you can walk in without a recpt, and by the date code on the battery, they can tell if it falls within the 3 years, and they will replace it.
                    Oh and they are competitively priced with other manufacturers!

Comment

I don't know if others have gotten this email, so just in case some didn't get this, I'll pass this along:

Dear RIDGID Customer,

Thank you for your continued support as a loyal RIDGID power tool customer. In return, we as a team here at RIDGID’s warranty department are proud to support you with the Lifetime Service Agreement. In a continued effort to make sure your next service experience goes smoothly, we are bringing all registration accounts up to date.

Any replacement tool, battery, charger or serialized component that requires a full replacement under the Lifetime Service Agreement must be re-registered within 90 days of replacement to maintain Lifetime Service Agreement status. Any component not re-registered within 90 days of replacement will not maintain Lifetime Service Agreement status. These components not re-registered within 90 days will maintain the remainder of the 3-year limited warranty starting from the date of purchase or the date of manufacture on the originally purchased equipment. Please call RIDGID at 1-866-539-1710 to re-register your replacement components. Proof of replacement required.

As a courtesy for the next 90 days, you may call RIDGID and re-register any serialized component(s) you have ever previously had replaced under Lifetime Service Agreement status. Your replacement request will be grandfathered in and approved.

Note that after this 90 day period, all further components replaced under the Lifetime Service Agreement must be re-registered within 90 days of replacement, per the instructions above.

As always, please make sure your contact info and product info is always up to date. If you have any questions of concerns about the Lifetime Service Agreement, please visit our website at http://register.RIDGIDpower.com, or give us a call at 1-866-539-1710.

Best Regards,

RIDGID Warranty Department

Ron

Comment

I also received the above letter from Ridgid this morning in my E-mail

Cactus Man

Comment

I just got the letter too. Glad I did because I had 2 batteries replaced at the newly opened Home Dept Rental desk nearby. They did make me bring all the tools in. My biggest concern was the Rental Desk would not give me a receipt listing all the tools I had left there. I went back to the Store Info desk that originally checked me in, and the lady hand wrote out a list of the tools I brought in. HD needs to get this procedure straightened out.

They called me to pickup the new batteries in a couple days. Yes it was some hassle, but much better than driving 10 miles further to the other service center.

I am a DIY guy, not a pro, so it worked out OK for me and I am still happy to have my Ridgid tools. I got tired of Craftsman batteries dieing in 2-3 years and buying a new drill because it was cheaper than buying batteries. One more battery replacement and I figure I break even compared to Sears tools, but maybe not Ryobi.

Anyway, the HD desk told me they would register my new batteries. After a month they had not. So I just got off the phone with Ridgid to register them, a couple months after they were replaced. Glad I didn't wait 90 days. But the Ridgid phone rep did not even ask when the batteries were replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by lreops View Post
                            I don't know if others have gotten this email, so just in case some didn't get this, I'll pass this along:

Dear RIDGID Customer,

Thank you for your continued support as a loyal RIDGID power tool customer. In return, we as a team here at RIDGID’s warranty department are proud to support you with the Lifetime Service Agreement. In a continued effort to make sure your next service experience goes smoothly, we are bringing all registration accounts up to date.

Any replacement tool, battery, charger or serialized component that requires a full replacement under the Lifetime Service Agreement must be re-registered within 90 days of replacement to maintain Lifetime Service Agreement status. Any component not re-registered within 90 days of replacement will not maintain Lifetime Service Agreement status. These components not re-registered within 90 days will maintain the remainder of the 3-year limited warranty starting from the date of purchase or the date of manufacture on the originally purchased equipment. Please call RIDGID at 1-866-539-1710 to re-register your replacement components. Proof of replacement required.

As a courtesy for the next 90 days, you may call RIDGID and re-register any serialized component(s) you have ever previously had replaced under Lifetime Service Agreement status. Your replacement request will be grandfathered in and approved.

Note that after this 90 day period, all further components replaced under the Lifetime Service Agreement must be re-registered within 90 days of replacement, per the instructions above.

As always, please make sure your contact info and product info is always up to date. If you have any questions of concerns about the Lifetime Service Agreement, please visit our website at http://register.RIDGIDpower.com, or give us a call at 1-866-539-1710.

Best Regards,

RIDGID Warranty Department

Ron

M'fers! "Not only have I given you a chore to do on a product that I'm "warrantying" for your lifetime, which you may or may not get-I'm now gonna' require you to DO IT AGAIN or VOID it!"

Keep it. Those that are happy with it, good.

Comment

I bought a couple of ridged power tools, the ones I liked. I don't care about the life time service agreement, too many hoops to jump through. I am not prone to stick with one brand for cordless tools, I buy what suits my needs regardless of brands. Ridged will never get my business based soley on they're life time service agreement.

Comment

Working...
                              X