Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Compatability for Circular Saw

Hi,
    I am hoping some of you experts can help me.

I would like to add a circular saw and recip. saw to my collection of Ridgid.

I have 2 different batteries and am wondering if they will work with the newest X4 circular saw or the X3.

Batteries are:
    18V NiCad - 130252004
    24V Lithium - 130377001 or E183634?

Anyone out there have advice?
    Will I have to try and track down an older model?

Thanks.

Re: Battery Compatability for Circular Saw

I only have the somewhat older 18-Volt R8452 circular saw (6.5 inch) which came with the NiCad batteries. From previous posts, I am of the understanding that later 18-Volt as well as the current 18-volt lithiums will fit it. From an electrical point-of-view, the motor doesn't care what the source of the power is as long as it is 18 Volts. However, you need to be aware that Lithium-Ion batteries cannot be charged on the older NiCad chargers... to attempt so is very dangerous!

My understanding is that Ridgid has designed the mating surfaces of the batteries and the tools to only accept what is electrically compatible...in other words even the newer chemistries should fit an older tool (and vice-versa) IF it is the same voltage. Charger compatibility is, as far as I know, the responsibility of the user and it is important to know that you in fact have a Li-Ion charger for Li-Ion batteries.

I can't speak to the 24-Volt battery question, but I believe the same issues are addressed... 24 Volt fit only 24-Volt tools and you need the correct charger for the battery chemistry.

Hopefully other members who have actually experienced this issue will jump in here and either confirm or correct my understanding.

Welcome to the Ridgid forum and I hope this is helpful,

CWS

Comment

The MaxSelect series of tools (18v/24v) will accept all battery types (18v nicad, 18v Li-ion, 24v). Obviously they will run better with the 24v batteries on then the 18v however. You would need your dedicated 24v charger for the 24v batteries, but the newer 18v Li-ion charger will charge both chemistries of 18v batteries. Do NOT use the older nicad charger with the newer Li-ion batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by scannerbob View Post
        The MaxSelect series of tools (18v/24v) will accept all battery types (18v nicad, 18v Li-ion, 24v). Obviously they will run better with the 24v batteries on then the 18v however. You would need your dedicated 24v charger for the 24v batteries, but the newer 18v Li-ion charger will charge both chemistries of 18v batteries. Do NOT use the older nicad charger with the newer Li-ion batteries.

also 24 volt batteries do not fit 18 volt tools

Comment

Working...
        X