X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you use your JobMax for?

I thought I would start a thread about the various uses for the JobMax and similar tools like the original Fein MultiMaster and all the copy cat tools that have popped up in the past year or so.

Anyway, I had some pop rivets to remove and instead of drilling out the centers and cleaving the head off with a chisel I used the 12V JobMax with a metal cutting blade to cut the rivet end off flush with the metal frame and then easily and cleanly popped the remainder of the rivet out with a punch and hammer. It was much faster and did way less damage to the metal it was inserted in.

So what new or different uses have you come up with for your JobMax?
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: What do you use your JobMax for?

I have not thought of using it for removing rivets but I use mine for cutting the bottom of door jambs to install wood/laminate flooring often. I also use it to cut the nails on an electrical box when I want to put a double gang switch or receptacle. It makes it easier carrying only one tool than to carry a reciprocating saw and the job/max to cut the sheetrock.

Kevin

Comment

I own a bar and i remove hardened gum of concrete and wood flooring, much easier than normal scraper.

Comment

at first i thought they were hobby toys. but the more i use them, the more they are awesome.

controlled cuts with little to no sawdust filling the air.

from tile grout, to caulking removal to shear wall plunge cuts, it does it all.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

To remove old hard caulking around bathtubs. No more sore bleeding hands!

Comment

The Jobmax is now my go-to tool. This year alone I used it for:

Mortising for door knob-set installations (1" blade).
            Scraped out thin set for replacement of broken tiles.
            Scraped out mortar for replacement of soap dishes.
            Removed hardened caulking.
            Undercut doorjambs for flooring installation.
            Notched out baseboard to allow large cabinet to slide back flush to wall.
            Undercut window trim to install thicker sill stools.
            Shaved off glued dowels holding an unneeded shelf in place.
            Cut numerous drywall openings, particularly irregularly shaped openings.
            Removed many metal burrs from sliding glass doors, etc.
            Created easy "decorative" notches in homemade wooden patio plant stands.
            Planed off parts of numerous 1x2's and 2x2's.
            Sanded inside corners of interior of various drawers and piano benches.
            Removed grout completely and removed only surface of grout (cleaning).
            Re-grooved several flathead screw slots on old, large screws.
            "Carved" out melted candle wax from fixtures.
            Shaped up splintering in old picture frames.

Comment

I have a Fein multimaster and was doing new windows on a house I own. Some how I managed to cut one of the cripple studs too long, by about a 1/4 of an inch. There was no way to trim the long cripple with a sawzall or a skill saw. Fein to the rescue.

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                I own a bar and i remove hardened gum of concrete and wood flooring, much easier than normal scraper.
                of course i do many other little jobs with it but i thought that was most unique!!

Comment

The other evening our Kenmore water softener bit the dust..it was 1999 vintage.
                  I guess 13 years of service is good. I was going to repair it but I noticed a leak under the cam
                  assembly and decided it's time to get a new one than hunt for parts etc...

I went to Lowe's and picked up a Whirlpool softener..looking at the innards I believe the Kenmore
                  was also made by Whirlpool.

Removal and installation took about three hours total. I just put 50lbs of salt in the old softener
                  and it was rough to wrestle the unit out of position due to the added weight. I was able to salvage
                  most of the salt and used it in the new unit.

The new softener slid into position perfectly as its dimensions are very similar to the older one.

I then used my 18V JobMax to slice up the old softener into small sections for easier disposal.
                  The exterior sliced up nicely and quite fast. The fiberglass internal tank with the softener beads did take longer.

The fiberglass tank did "use up" one cutting blade
                  I used two batteries. The first 3AH Lithium-ion battery [X4] had 4 LEDs lite so it was not at full charge.
                  The second battery [X4] was "fully charged" 5 LEDs lit, and after cutting everything else it had 3 LEDs lit. So..
                  let's call it 1 and 1/3 batteries used.

Cutting the fiberglass tank did stress the JobMax a bit. The motor did get hot....not hot to the touch but
                  more than warm. The JobMax stopped! After blowing the motor with cold compressed air it came back to life and
                  I continued the cut. NO DAMAGE was done to the JobMax! The tool is perfect!

I learned the chineese motor is really not that robust and you just have to work in short periods and
                  never force the tool or the cut.

The tool never faltered and was very comfortable to hold and it was easy to direct the cut.

Cactus Man
                  Last edited by cactusman; 09-08-2012, 12:31 PM.

Comment

I removec a single new work box and installed a double old work box so Icould add a second switch at this location. I used the JobMax with a wood+metal blade to cut the sheetrock with no mess and to cut the nails on the old box. I slipped the blade in between the stud and the box and was able to cut the nail flush with the stud. Worked great.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

last week i picked up a second dremel multimax kit for 39.00 at osh. it was priced on special for 50% off of 99.99 and then i had a 20% coupon. the blades alone are worth that.

who's going to be the first forum member to cut a cast off with it

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Wow. Great deal. And I thought I got a good one recently buying a Fein for $120.00.

Comment

Well Rick. You get the gold star as ALL the oscillating multi-tools out there
                          emulate the Stryker saw.
                          This saw is used in surgery as a bone cutting saw, in the emergency department to remove
                          plaster casts, and in the autopsy room..well to cut stuff.....

Do a Google search on Stryker saw for more information
                          The Stryker saw and it's blades are very very expensive around two thousand dollars plus and without blades!
                          So..when Ridgid has it's JobMax at $100.00+/- we are really getting a pretty good deal!

I realize Fein claims the patent for the original oscillating saw for contractors.
                          Now that the patent is over? we now have almost over 30 different brands from
                          known brand names to unknown labels.

Cactus Man
                          Last edited by cactusman; 09-09-2012, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X