Ridgid Battery Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid Battery Problem

I've got about two dozen items registered into the LLSA and I've spoken with Ridgid Customer Service probably close to a dozen times over since my first purchase in 2003. I have never, ever talked to anyone "overseas"! All of them have been very courteous and located in the Anderson, South Carolina area. In fact, all of my contacts with Ridgid and Ryobi have been very courteous.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
      That's right the batteries are interchangeable! So are the heavy duty 1/2 inch impacts and grinders
      lol

Comment

I am now of the opinion that if you got forced out of Ridgid your life will become less stressful. I got the 24 volt kit some time ago and for the first year or so it was awesome. However I think with their lifetime warranty they have cut every corner they could to save money. The batteries I get under warranty now tend to last maybe a month or 2 if that before their lifespan becomes useless. Even the brand new ones have very short lifespans although they love to tell you they need to be "cycled" a few times before they realize their full potential. I think that is a delaying tactic now. When I go in to collect me new warranty battery, I simply drop off another one now. That way I at least have a couple to keep me going, kind of. I could use about 10 or 12 batteries now where once I only needed 2. I built my entire garage with 2 batteries in a drill, circ saw and sawsall. I cant go an hour now with 3.

You can very easily find tons of contractors and forum posts about these crap batteries. Needing your charger at arms length doesnt make it a cordless tool, it makes it a pain in the arse. You also look like a doofus with a ridgid tool that dies every 5 minutes.

Hear me Ridgid? Do you hear anyone? I guess it is Home Depot is trashing your name? I have held my breath a long time waiting for whatever it takes to make my kit functional again. Or a complete new kit if that is what it takes. Tools seem fine but the batteries really have to go.

Comment

have you taken in your tool and charger to verify they are not shorting/ killing your batteries.

i find it hard to believe that every new battery is junk. how many chargers do you have? try sending in just 1 at a time if need be.

we just had a regular forum member with a competitors cordless drill and after cleaning out all the fine sawdust and freeing up the brushes, the drill runs full power and flawlessly. might be a similar issue?

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Well I did register my LLSA and received a verification letter about six months later. Now they say the very tools listed in the verification letter are not covered.
            The customer service rep was understandable but got rather rude when I told them that I had the verification letter and could not understand why they would
            send me the letter if I had no tools registered under the LLSA they stoped just short of calling me a liar. Not very impressed!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron1212 View Post
              Well I did register my LLSA and received a verification letter about six months later. Now they say the very tools listed in the verification letter are not covered.
              The customer service rep was understandable but got rather rude when I told them that I had the verification letter and could not understand why they would
              send me the letter if I had no tools registered under the LLSA they stoped just short of calling me a liar. Not very impressed!
              Seems to me that all you would have had to do is email or fax a copy of that letter to the attn. of the service rep you were talking to on the phone and your account would have been cleaned up almost immediately.
              ================================================== ====
              ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I hope so as I have faxed them. Also tried to Email the service rep I talked to several times came back undeliverable. I am very sure eventually they will honor the LLSA. I
                have verification in writing kind of hard to wiggle out of. My concern is how many others may not have gotten a letter or misplaced it also the fact of how much time do
                you waste over a $ 200 drill almost seems to me their trying to make it just difficult enough one might just give up. If I could have cleared it up with a phone call I would
                have nothing but good to say.I have a fax verification to but whats to stop them from saying they didnt receive the fax either? But i will let you know what happens,but how long
                will it take?

Comment

I just bought my first Rigid combo. The battery instruction say to store batter in half charged mode. Li tho battery's are designed to run and then al the sudden quit when the battery is low. They have like a circuit board in them that has a breaker like function that shuts it of. I had a craftman drill with 2 battery's. charger was plugged during a lightning stom and was zapped. I didn't know it was till i plugged a battery in it and smoked the little board in side the battery casing. Band-aided the charger to work again and by passed the board in battery. started working again, but you had to manually remove the battery in a hr or 2 or it would just keep charging.

Comment

Rarely come here and have been reading about the new requirement to re-register. Lo and behold my service center just called and I am starting to go thru this. A phone call and Ridgid will NOW email a notification. Good friggin timing.

As for the drill, it just went in for repair, again. Just had trigger repaired and now the motor apparently died. And guess what. They dont make 24V tools and the parts arent available so they are sending me a new 18V drill, charger, and I HOPE 2 BIG batteries. Not baby ones or they will have entirely missed the point of buying 2 large batteries in the first place. Lets see if they follow through. I find myself in the position of hoping all my tools die now so I can get new batteries, which is all I ever wanted anyways. Tools seem fine. I wonder if the 18V outlast the 24V .....

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    have you taken in your tool and charger to verify they are not shorting/ killing your batteries.

i find it hard to believe that every new battery is junk. how many chargers do you have? try sending in just 1 at a time if need be.

we just had a regular forum member with a competitors cordless drill and after cleaning out all the fine sawdust and freeing up the brushes, the drill runs full power and flawlessly. might be a similar issue?

rick.

Comment

JC I see that you are an unemployed electrician and that has given you alot of time to complain, although not enough time to read user manuals and LSA agreements or log on to the Ridgid web site and follow the instructions for obtaining support for battery replacement under the LSA which is diffferent form your self described "batteries for life".
                      Badger has provided the help you need to get batteries replaced, therefor I'm not going to go there. If you take the time to read your user manual, you will find that one of the features of LI batts is that they produce full power until the moment they are discharged and will quit completely. That is considered a benefit over the old NI Cad batts which start runnning slower and with less power as they discharge.
                      And, by the way all LI batts function in such a manner, not only Ridgids. I see you also complain about the registration procedure for Ridgids LSA. I suggest you go to another tool company that offers such a benefit and see if you like their procedure better. You will find that list easy, as there are no other companies that offer a Lfetime service agreement.
                      Good luck-Ray
                      Originally posted by jc-co View Post
                      My 2nd battery suffers the exact same thing. 1 day it worked fine, the next it wouldnt run under any load. Where on earth do they hide how to get it replaced? You'd think since it was purchased at Home Despair [Depot], you ought to be able to simply return it to any HD & get your replacement. Too easy.
                      That's why I barely chose Ridgid over the many other brands available.
                      In general, I hate when the batteries suddenly decide to quit running, without warning. That must be why the latest batteries have a "fuel gauge" on them. A good idea perhaps, but the batteries shouldn't suddenly turn off, when there is plenty of power left. You should be able to feel when the tool is running out of juice. Mine seem to be running along just fine with no decrease in power, then begins that annoying cutting out.
                      Of course it usually happens when your on top of a ladder, or away from another battery.
                      Navigating the Ridgid website, is something else. Then to need a "Lifetime" replacement, is full of red tape & not easy to find or do.
                      It simply shouldn't be so difficult to navigate or get a replacement on batteries that have obvious design or quality flaws.
                      Can anyone tell me if HD can simply resolve. My nearest HD, is more than a hour away, & I suppose if HD can replace, it probably has to be the one where the purchase was made?
                      Where is the list of designated service centers on the website?
                      Last edited by roadrashray; 11-25-2012, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X