Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Battery Problem

Hello,

I really enjoy my ridgid tools...got them on clearance at HD for $62.
    I have the R860071 18V fuego compact drill & the 18V one-handed recip saw.

I usually only use one of the batteries for casual DIY stuff around the house.
    When my main battery is depleted, I charge it and use the spare in the meantime.
    I then charge the spare and store it. Sometimes the spare doesn't get used in a month or two but is always stored at full charge.

About a week ago I was cutting up some wood with the recip saw and my main battery got depleted so I charged it up and went to get my spare.

The spare did not function at all. After the main battery was done charging, I used it to continue working while putting the non-function spare to charge. The charger did not indicate a defective flashing status on my spare. It only charges the spare for 2-5 mins and then the lights say that the charge is full. But the battery doesn't function.

Will I be able to obtain warranty service for a battery which the charger doesn't recognize as defective?

The battery is not placed somewhere where heat or cold affect it. The manual said it may be deeply discharged and that I should charge it for an hour. I tried that and no luck. Any ideas?

I plan on taking it to a Home Depot with a tool rental center for service.

Re: Ridgid Battery Problem

Last night I left the spare battery in the charger to see if it would do anything and it did run briefly but then turned off. I'm thinking of leaving the spare in there the whole day maybe it will do it some good. It is working sporadically now as I left it there to charge again before leaving to school. Now that I got home it ran for about 30 seconds and then died. The charger still doesn't indicate that it is malfunctioning.

Comment

Luis337, read the section in your Owners Manual dealing with the 3 Year Warranty. It will explain exactly what you have to do to obtain warranty repair/replacement. A battery that will not hold a charge within the first 3 years is IMO definitely a warranty issue or your issue may also be with the charger. Either way, your issue should be covered under the warranty.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

If you sent your warranty in you should have a life time battery replacement, but you have to take it to a location that is designated as a RIDGID battery service center. I've done this at Vacworld in Grand Rapids before and had my battery replaced with no questions asked.

Comment

My 2nd battery suffers the exact same thing. 1 day it worked fine, the next it wouldnt run under any load. Where on earth do they hide how to get it replaced? You'd think since it was purchased at Home Despair [Depot], you ought to be able to simply return it to any HD & get your replacement. Too easy.
          That's why I barely chose Ridgid over the many other brands available.
          In general, I hate when the batteries suddenly decide to quit running, without warning. That must be why the latest batteries have a "fuel gauge" on them. A good idea perhaps, but the batteries shouldn't suddenly turn off, when there is plenty of power left. You should be able to feel when the tool is running out of juice. Mine seem to be running along just fine with no decrease in power, then begins that annoying cutting out.
          Of course it usually happens when your on top of a ladder, or away from another battery.
          Navigating the Ridgid website, is something else. Then to need a "Lifetime" replacement, is full of red tape & not easy to find or do.
          It simply shouldn't be so difficult to navigate or get a replacement on batteries that have obvious design or quality flaws.
          Can anyone tell me if HD can simply resolve. My nearest HD, is more than a hour away, & I suppose if HD can replace, it probably has to be the one where the purchase was made?
          Where is the list of designated service centers on the website?

Comment

jc-co, its not difficult at all to find the nearest Service Center. Go to www.ridgid.com or simply click on the big black RIDGID in the upper LH corner at the top of this page. The screen that will then come up is Ridgid's Home Page. Once there, click on the word Support at the top of that page. There at the upper portion of the page will be the words Service Centers, click on that. You should be able to take it from there.

EDIT: One more thing, if you have a HD near you that has a tool rental department you should be able to bring in your bad battery into them for a testing and exchange if necessary. I would also suggest that you bring along the charger and the tool for testing also. Some places even require that you do that.
            Last edited by BadgerDave; 10-08-2012, 03:52 PM.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Here's a note for anyone who needs Ridgid replacement batteries that are not in warranty;
              Most Ridgid tools use the same batteries as Ryobi tools. The Ryobi replacement may be easier to get and less expensive.

Comment

I have had nothing but problems with the LSA. All the correct paper work was mailed, the online registration was filled, and still no response from them. I call 8 months later only to be told the paper work had never been received. Then I decided to phone and spoke with an agent who could barely speak english. She suggested to send in a letter of consideration. Fortunately I had made copies of all my reciepts, sku, s/n etc. I sent the letter by registered mail and it was received. Three months later I received a letter saying I didn't qualify. Once again I called and spoke to an agent who could barely speak english and pronounce words. She actually had to spell them out for me. Needles to say, I am done with their LSA. Good luck to those who plan on purchasing tools and activating the LSA. I have no real issues with the drills, but with the customer (non) service centre. It really stinks.

Comment

[QUOTE=tr33man;384120]I have had nothing but problems with the LSA. All the correct paper work was mailed, the online registration was filled, and still no response from them. I call 8 months later only to be told the paper work had never been received. Then I decided to phone and spoke with an agent who could barely speak english. She suggested to send in a letter of consideration. Fortunately I had made copies of all my reciepts, sku, s/n etc. I sent the letter by registered mail and it was received. Three months later I received a letter saying I didn't qualify. Once again I called and spoke to an agent who could barely speak english and pronounce words. She actually had to spell them out for me. Needles to say, I am done with their LSA. Good luck to those who plan on purchasing tools and activating the LSA. I have no real issues with the drills, but with the customer (non) service centre. It really stinks.

are you trying to say their cust service is over seas? I have never called and got anyone who barely speaks English. Also never had an issue with lsa at all. Used about 5 times, taken care of quickly, and any cust service issue was handled immediately. Stop trying to scare people.

Comment

Originally posted by EdinTexas View Post
                    Here's a note for anyone who needs Ridgid replacement batteries that are not in warranty;
                    Most Ridgid tools use the same batteries as Ryobi tools. The Ryobi replacement may be easier to get and less expensive.
                    What?

Comment

"What?" +1

None of my Ridgid and Ryobi batteries are interchangeable, regardless of voltage or style. That's really the only reason I'm maintaining 2 systems. If Ridgid ever starts offering the 18V tools that have been requested on this forum, I'll be able to move to Ridgid exclusively.
                      -Dan

Comment

i think all these problems with customer service are pure and utter BS. I have called and spoken to a few reps and they are Americans with thick southern accents. As for understanding them never an issue. Battery replacements is so easy my 2 yr old son could arrange to do it for me if he could drive and see over the counter. I go to the service center in West End Ottawa a few minutes from work, I walk intot he store/repair place and no it is not a HD store but a private shop who repairs various makes of power tools.

He asks for my client number, calls it up on his computer, makes sure I own the items I want serviced and has the batteries ina few days for me. Last time he had them in stock and I had the new batteries in minutes.

Just do your paperwork file it with the warranty office, do the on line work and you are done. Heck the customer rep even helped me with lost paper work after 6 months because they saw every other tool I had was on the list and I told them a couple tools on the list were not mine. No problems, no issues, and very happy with my tools and my service center

Comment

[QUOTE=tr33man;384120]I have had nothing but problems with the LSA. All the correct paper work was mailed, the online registration was filled, and still no response from them. I call 8 months later only to be told the paper work had never been received. Then I decided to phone and spoke with an agent who could barely speak english. She suggested to send in a letter of consideration. Fortunately I had made copies of all my reciepts, sku, s/n etc. I sent the letter by registered mail and it was received. Three months later I received a letter saying I didn't qualify. Once again I called and spoke to an agent who could barely speak english and pronounce words. She actually had to spell them out for me. Needles to say, I am done with their LSA. Good luck to those who plan on purchasing tools and activating the LSA. I have no real issues with the drills, but with the customer (non) service centre. It really stinks.

"are you trying to say their cust service is over seas? I have never called and got anyone who barely speaks English. Also never had an issue with lsa at all. Used about 5 times, taken care of quickly, and any cust service issue was handled immediately. Stop trying to scare people"

They should be scared.

Reply Reply With Quote

Comment

They should be scared.

Being one of the many thousands of people who followed directions for the lifetime SERVICE (NOT WARRANTY) agreement, i disagree

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                              What?
                              That's right the batteries are interchangeable! So are the heavy duty 1/2 inch impacts and grinders

Comment

Working...
                              X