X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid table saws

I have two Rigid TS3650 table saws. I would like to make some table inserts for zero clearance cuts and /or dado sets. I note that the insert supplied is much thinner than most other saws use and would like some inputs from the forum members about what material they use to match this thickness. OldOpa

Re: Rigid table saws

I use laminate flooring scraps, with screws in each corner. The screws are countersunk and are #4s or #5s. Simply twist the screw to level. When the insert gets beat up, slap in a new one. I make about 12 at a time on the router table with a pattern makers bit.

Comment

I use 1/2" ply, both at work and at home. When I get set up to make them, I also make about 12 at a time. As I find a pc of scrap that I can make an insert out of, it goes in a pile, then when I have a bunch, I make the inserts. As for leveling them, I use a #6 flat head screw on the underside, put a drop of slow setting super glue in the hole, insert the screw, level it out and you should be good to go. As with most things in woodworking, more than one way to achieve the desired result, all ideas usually work well. This is just my version.

Comment

Originally posted by museum_guy View Post
        I use 1/2" ply, both at work and at home. When I get set up to make them, I also make about 12 at a time. As I find a pc of scrap that I can make an insert out of, it goes in a pile, then when I have a bunch, I make the inserts. As for leveling them, I use a #6 flat head screw on the underside, put a drop of slow setting super glue in the hole, insert the screw, level it out and you should be good to go. As with most things in woodworking, more than one way to achieve the desired result, all ideas usually work well. This is just my version.
        and how would the op manage using those adjusting screws with a ZCI that's approx 3/16" thick where the adjustment screws would be placed? are you aware that the inserts on many ridgid TSs (2412, 2424, 3612, 3650, 3660 and 4512) are less than 1/4" thick?
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
          and how would the op manage using those adjusting screws with a ZCI that's approx 3/16" thick where the adjustment screws would be placed? are you aware that the inserts on many ridgid TSs (2412, 2424, 3612, 3650, 3660 and 4512) are less than 1/4" thick?
          Hate to bust your bubble but the insert on a 3660 is 1/2" thick. I don't have first hand knowledge of the others so I can't comment on those. My assumption that since the 3660 is 1/2" then the 3650 would be as well, must be wrong. As to how to put an adjustment screw in 3/16" thick material, if the material used can handle being tapped (even if it's wood) I'd tap it with a 6-32 or smaller. If needed, put a drop cyanoacrylate in the hole to strengthen it and tap it again. Install a set screw from above.

Comment

You want the material to be stiff and not flex. I like phenolic and birch ply, but laminate flooring sounds like it should work well too. It's ok, and even prefereable for the material to be slightly thinner than the opening....it allows for some fine tuning. 4 well placed screws works well, or you can always shim with tape if the adjusted difference is small.

Does your saws throat opening look like this?

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
              You want the material to be stiff and not flex. I like phenolic and birch ply, but laminate flooring sounds like it should work well too. It's ok, and even prefereable for the material to be slightly thinner than the opening....it allows for some fine tuning. 4 well placed screws works well, or you can always shim with tape if the adjusted difference is small.

Does your saws throat opening look like this?
              Nice splitter! I have the same one and am very happy with it. What do you think?

Comment

I don't own one.....just used the pic as visual aid.

Comment

When I had my 3650 I drilled and tapped the ears on each corner for a small set screw and used 1/2" material for my insert. That was for my home made ZCIs, for the manufactured ones I had no problems and actually they were not much money so I bought a half dozen for about $10 each. When ?I sold the saw a couple years later I still had three of the ZCIs that were never used and passed them on to the new owner.

You guys keep making things for yourselves and we'll never get this economy going again. Didn't you hear Romney last night? It's those small businesses that will put America back to work. So get out there and buy stuff and stop making it for yourself.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X