Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mini Wheelbarrow compressor only gets 125 psi ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Wheelbarrow compressor only gets 125 psi ?

It says 145 psi on it but it shuts down at 125 psi. With the regulator all the way up it will only output 100 psi ?

What gives ? This thing is brand new.

Re: Mini Wheelbarrow compressor only gets 125 psi ?

Most compressors are set to shut off at ~100psi. If you need more (I can't think what for... 100 is plenty to run air tools) and the specs say it is achieveable, the pressure switch is sometimes adjustable.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Without seeing your regulator, most have adjustments within the interior workings of the regulator. They have an adjustment for low pressure turn on and high pressure turn off. Sounds like your high pressure turn off is adjusted too low.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Meant "Pressure Switch", not "Regulator". (Old age Brain Fart)

Ron

Last edited by lreops; 09-25-2012, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Thanks. Can the pressure switch be adjusted easily ? I would like to get it to 145psi so my tool work longer before the compressor has to kick back on. Running 2 framing nail guns keeps the motor running almost non-stop.

Comment

get a portable air tank, (the larger the better, I would say 10 gallon ), and put a Tee on the tank and run a short hose from the compressor to the tank and hook up the air tools to the tee, (the tanks are so small,that all your doing is cycling the unit), by adding the air tank you have more volume and reserve one could add a number of them If you wanted to,

the other is to get an unloader valve and let the unit run continuously, but that would most likely void the warranty and you would have to re plumb the air compressor so it would work with the unloader valve,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

After rereading your post, I see that you said the compressor IS reaching 125psi. That is the normal shut off for most compressors, so your problem must be with the regulator not opening completely, thus only allowing 100psi to pass. Don't really know if you can do anything to get it to pass more air.

As stated, if you're concerned about not having enough volume to maintain operation pressure, you could add another tank.

Ron

Comment

The obvious answer is to just take it back and exchange it for another one. As long as its been purchased within the last 90 days it will be a no questions asked exchange, just tell them it doesn't work as advertised. Take it apart and futz with it yourself and its your for life.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I don't care to add another tank when I can just buy a 20 gallon compressor if needed. I know the tanks are small and I have no issue with the compressor running often, I am pretty pissed that is says 145psi max but only gets to 125psi.

I can take it back if I want to, but these compressors are gone from HD (I got the last one in Memphis) and the other options are either oil-less, too cheap, too expensive, too big to be portable, or just not enough psi.

Comment

They might be gone in Memphis but they still show as an active product on the HD website. To me, that means they can still get a replacement for you.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

could it be a pressure gauge that is not calibrated correctly?

the pressure switch assembly part #8 on the parts page should have a screw adjustment for starting and stopping pressures/ cut in cut out. typically they are factory adjusted and sometimes sealed with a paint marker.

unless you really need the higher 145# pressure, i would keep the 125 for longer life and less amp draw. the 5 gallon tank will not make a big difference between 125 and 145# cycles. as bhd mentioned, i would go with an external tank connected with a jumper hose and tee for anything like 2 nail guns.

honestly for 2 framing guns on a 5 gallon low recovery compressor, you're undersized. without actually testing, i would think that a framing nailer would cycle a 5 gallon compressor in just a handful of shots. 2 finish guns are more suited for this type of compressor. it's not just the 5 gallon capacity, but the air delivery rate/ recovery rate. 4.4 scfm at 90 psi is small for even 1 framing gun especially when sheeting.

a gas wheel barrow compressor or larger electric compressor would be the better choice for your framing guns. keep this one for your finish work.

now if you lived closer, i would sell you 1 of the 3 ridgid gas compressors i have left.

rick.

my hd had 1 left on the floor.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

A couple of times here, I see either "most compressors" or "normal" terms being used to explain for the "100 psi and 125 psi" maximum pressure. That is not correct, there is NO normal. The pressure switch defines what the compressor "cut-out" pressure is (that is the maximum pressure allowed by the pressure switch setting, at which point it will "cut-out" or trigger the power off to the motor or activate the unloader on an engine-driven compressor). So "normal" is defined for each compressor model... a 150 Max psi unit would have a pressure switch setting at or close to 150 psi and a 125 Max psi unit would have a setting at 125 psi.

But, maximum "tool" pressure is usually around 90 to 100 psi, so in actuality that is all the pressure you should need, theoretically. BUT, the more pressue you have, the longer running time for the tool.... for example, if you have a 10 gallon tank containing 100 psi air, the second you start to use it, the pressure drops and could drop below what the tools needs to run efficiently. If you have the same tank capacity, but the pressure is 150 psi, then you theoretically have 50% more "pressure" volumn and it takes a bit longer for the air to drop below your tool's needed pressure.

But to your question: If the rating given for your compressor IS 145 psi, then that is exactly what you should expect the "cut-out" pressure to be, and nothing less. And while the gauge may be off, it may well not be. (If it is off, then Ridgid should replace it.) However, it is NOT recommended that the user "adjust" anything in the pressure switch! That is why any adjustment screws are "painted" sealed. Otherwise, all too many people would almost immediately open the pressure switch and adjust to a higher and most likely, dangerous pressure setting (as a means to increase the operating pressure capacity).

All of the components in the compressor are designed for a maximum "allowable" working pressure (MAWP). This MAWP is above the stated operating pressure that the unit is advertised and usually labeled. The piping, safety valve, unloader, and pressure release are all designed to operate at this "operating pressure" and to "blow" somewhere at the MAWP. The tank itself is rated at the MAWP and therefore any adjustment higher than the specified operating pressure is NOT recommended.

But that said, the factory setting may well be off... things are not perfect. But still, I would not recommend any purchaser go in and make any adjustment. Seeing that you just purchase this unit, I would return it Home Depot.... unless of course you have a service center near by and would prefer to just have them adjust the switch. Any adjustment that you do, will most likely void the warranty and could possibly put you in danger.

I hope this helps,

CWS
                      Last edited by CWSmith; 09-26-2012, 11:54 AM.

Comment

I believe the manual says a max of 145 psi,

the physics of a single stage compressor the pressure is usually a max, of about 140 to 150 psi, if you need or want more than that then one needs to look in to a two or even triple stage compressor, a average two stage is set at about 175 psi,

yes you probably could pump more psi with a single stage than 150 psi, but once you hit that 140 psi or so it going to get very slow at increasing pressure.

IF you want to try it screw down the pressure switch it should increase the cut psi, but you may shorten the life of the compressor greatly,

If you want mount the tank above the current compressor so it is one unit,

but like Rick said you basally need a larger compressor, and what you have is more suited for trim type work, or one nailer,

the best thing IMO is to add the second tank for a little more reserve volume, it would increase run time, give more reserve, and lengthen the life of the compressor in most instances,

my guess is that if you crank the screw down so it reaches 175 psi you only gain one or two at the most nail shots before the compressor starts to cycle again,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my math is rusty, but one place it says a 5 gallon tank will have about 6.35 cubit foot at 125 psi, in it, http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_c...ank_at_125_psi
                        changing to the 145 psi the answer would come up with about 7.26 cubic foot, of sea level pressure air can be pushed in to the tank,
                        but since the nailers need 90 psi air to work the proportion of air to work with is not that much extra. in volume, it looks like it would be less than 10% of additional air to work with, the way I am figuring it, it would be about 14% if figuring to 0 psi, estmating at 90 psi you would have maybe a 5% additonal air to work with (not to cycle but to 90 psi), to cycle your precentage would be much less,
                        Last edited by BHD; 09-26-2012, 06:08 PM.
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks rick. I am currently doing small fence jobs with this compressor. We do not really lay nails like roofers do at those crazy speeds so it does work fine with 2 framing guns for what I do with it. Most of the time only one gun is getting used while the other guy is making cuts.

Comment

My duel voltage Emglo wheelbarrow compressor does the same. Never needed more pressure than 100 lbs. Even with two tanks on it I did find that I wanted more stored air so this is what I came up with. This is a old scuba hp-100 steel tank that would not pass hydro any longer.Click image for larger version

Name:	b41977329d7b9d3da8ee3cd7bbd7268b.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	16667
                            Charles

Comment

Working...
                            X