X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid BS1400

I have just found out that Ridgid is not making alot of parts for this bandsaw. M blade adjustment shaft is failing, the threads look like they are flat, so I look for a replacement and find out that the part is obsolete. The same shaft is used on all three models of the 1400, 14001, 14002. Can a company just abandon making parts for products that they sell with out offering replacement parts? So I guess if certain parts wear out we are supposed to just throw it away and buy another one. I know that Carter makes a ratcheting unit but am not sure if it will work on my saw or not, and it is $50. What if the housing cracks that holds this part, it is obsolete also, so the girl at customer service told me. Sorry for the rant. I guess that I will have to save up for a Jet or Rikon which I should have bought in the first place. Have a great day.

Re: Ridgid BS1400

Seeing as the saw has been out of production for a number of years,
    it does not suprise me that some parts are no longer available.

IF the repalcement part was available from RIDGID parts, it would
    probably be close to $50 anyway so I don't see where you could go
    wrong with the Carter part if it fits.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

As I recall, the Ridgid bandsaw was never particularly given any high regard. Most posts that I have read referred to it as needing a lot of tweaking. But, I believe the bandsaw is a rather widely-used design and the Ridgid is only one of many such "look-a-like" units and therefore it may well have some common parts, or at least parts that can be modified to fit.

Regarding your question about the manufacturer supporting an aged product with parts.... NO, they generally do not have any responsibility to do so. Frankly, I'm not sure they have any responsibility beyond any warranty timeframe.

This is a pet peeve of mine, but I've come to face the fact that long ago, somebody decided that "parts" weren't worth the effort it takes to make, stock, inventory, or distribute.... it simply isn't a cost-effective way to use a product manufacturer's resources; at least in the consumer-products market. I can't tell you how many things that I still have around that are simply "imagined" as still being good, for the sake of some yet-to-be-found part.

CWS

Comment

I was told by a customer service rep at Ridgid that they are still being manufactured but I am tending not to believe it but they are selling them at HD.com of course. Thanks for the input.

Comment

I know it's going to be hard to believe... BUT:

With many of us, the "untruths" of Home Depot's "orange aprons" is almost legendary. Certainly not the case for every associate, but there are enough of them to make one wonder "Where do the get this stuff?"

My wife and I often joke about it and certainly it has come up here on the forum often enough. I don't know if it's just the personalities of the people in the field or whether it's just part of their training; but it seems a rare that any "orange apron" can just tell you they don't know. It's like there is a littany of "answers" that all need to offer for whatever question a customer may have.

I've posted these before, but here are some of the favorites that I've personably been told:

"Home Depot guarantees every tool they sell for life; just bring it in and we'll swap it for another!

"Home Depot owns Ridgid, that's why they're "Orange"!

"Don't worry about anything, just bring it back here and we'll handle all the service, shipping, etc..)

"Oh, parts... we carry all the parts!"

"They never made that tool." (But then you know they did and a short time after searching yourself, you find it in the overhead area.)

"No, I'm sorry you must be mis-informed... THIS is the current model" (So you make the purchase and a day later you find the NEW model setting there!)

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Woodlvr View Post
            I have just found out that Ridgid is not making alot of parts for this bandsaw. M blade adjustment shaft is failing, the threads look like they are flat, so I look for a replacement and find out that the part is obsolete. The same shaft is used on all three models of the 1400, 14001, 14002. Can a company just abandon making parts for products that they sell with out offering replacement parts? So I guess if certain parts wear out we are supposed to just throw it away and buy another one. I know that Carter makes a ratcheting unit but am not sure if it will work on my saw or not, and it is $50. What if the housing cracks that holds this part, it is obsolete also, so the girl at customer service told me. Sorry for the rant. I guess that I will have to save up for a Jet or Rikon which I should have bought in the first place. Have a great day.
            well, you're half right. a rikon would be a definite major step up, but newer jet tools are primarily for uninformed tool snobs who value overpriced underperforming brand names above functionality and performance. the only thing newer (less than 10-12 years old) jet tools have in common with their older relatives is the name.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

You should check ebay, craigslist or bandsawparts.com (aftermarket replacement parts).

Comment

Working...
              X