R4512 Table saw problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4512 Table saw problem

I just picked up a brand new r4512 saw off of ebay for $275. In the listing, it is noted as being sealed in the box, powering up and tilts and locks ok. Get it home and unbox it and find the motor assembly on the bottom of the box with a broken trunion. I haven't called them yet as it was after hours by the time I discovered it. Looks like a new one can be had for ~125 or I can have my welding buddy fix it (certified tig). I figure they are going to offer to refund my money. However, it was a 5 hour round trip. Since either option is about the same cost, is this saw worth repairing? They seem to have a favorable rating. If I return the saw I will probably end up with a Porter Cable from Lowes. Wish there were good saws on craigslist...all I see are $50 craftsman saws that are 20 years old...

Re: R4512 Table saw problem

Interesting: "noted as being sealed in the box, powering up and tilts and locks ok."

If it was sealed in the box (alludes to never being opened, as NIB... New In Box), then how could the seller also states that it powered up and tilts and locks okay ??? Obviously it DOESN'T "tilt and lock" okay, so you may have some recourse in legal action if the guy doesn't willingly refund your money... but of course he could always say it was good when he gave it too you (too much of a stink with these kind of purchases, has always kept me away from buying from Craigs List or EBay.)

I would have immediately been suspicious of such a statement and at minimum would have asked to see what this thing looked like in the box. I'm thinking that there's a bit of fraud here by the seller and I'm hoping you don't run into some difficulties in trying to get your money back!

Did this guy have a receipt or give any indication how long he has had this?

If you end up being stuck with this broken saw, you should be able to order a new trunion, but I would think that additional cost will drive your total investment well beyond what a brand new 4512 would have been.

This IS a pretty decent saw, or at least that is my impression on seeing it in the store and from a few posted comments that I have read. Ridgid sells this for approx $500, which has a 3-year warranty and is eligible for the free Lifetime Service Agreement. Sears has the same model for about $100 more, which has only a 1-year warranty.

Good luck,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by spthom77 View Post
      I just picked up a brand new r4512 saw off of ebay for $275. In the listing, it is noted as being sealed in the box, powering up and tilts and locks ok. Get it home and unbox it and find the motor assembly on the bottom of the box with a broken trunion. I haven't called them yet as it was after hours by the time I discovered it. Looks like a new one can be had for ~125 or I can have my welding buddy fix it (certified tig). I figure they are going to offer to refund my money. However, it was a 5 hour round trip. Since either option is about the same cost, is this saw worth repairing? They seem to have a favorable rating. If I return the saw I will probably end up with a Porter Cable from Lowes. Wish there were good saws on craigslist...all I see are $50 craftsman saws that are 20 years old...
      too bad you didn't get one of those old c-man saws (probably an emerson electric built unit) and just added a delta t2 fence from tools-plus for ~$160. for < $250, you's have a saw that was probably more solidly built than the 4512 (albeit without a riving knife) and with a better fence, like this one:
      Attached Files
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

It's possible that the trunnion broke in transit. Either way, I'm thinking that the path of least resistance might just be to have it fixed. I do think the R4512 is a bit more substantially built than the PCB270TS. Before doing anything, I'd wait to hear back from the seller. Perhaps they'd offer a partial refund that could be applied towards a repair, as opposed to a total return.

Comment

Working...
        X