Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r4512 part question: what are these set screws for?

I'm assembling my new 4512, and noticed that one of the set screws in the top of the table is sticking up. It runs into part of the motor assembly, I think the main trunion.

The other set screw to the right has nothing beneath it, and you could screw it all the way through if you wanted. They are about an inch or so long.

What are these for, and is there any reason that I shouldn't grin 1/8" off of the protruding one?

They are part #s 28 and 30 on the exploded parts diagram. 28 is the one stick up that has something beneath it.

Re: r4512 part question: what are these set screws for?

i love newbie questions like this because they indicate that this saw is being assembled without the benefit of reading the assembly instructions. or that the assembly instructions are the worst written instructions ever. those two screws are the bevel angle stop screws. one is set to stop the trunion so the blade is 90 degrees to the tabletop and the other is to stop the trunion so the blade is 45 degrees to the table top. on my own saws, i never use these as sawdust can accumulate on the surface of the trunions and keep the blade from achieving exactly the desired angle. see page 16 of this manual to set them if you wish:

http://download.sears.com/own/00921833e.pdf
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

I vote for:
        " the assembly instructions are the worst written instructions ever"

I enjoyed putting this together, but I found it very difficult to understand the instructions. If I had one put together in fromt of me or a video, I would have saved at least a couple of hours! Some of the spot weld nuts didn't help the situation, where the threads got welded too!

Comment

The craftsman manual he posted is a heck of a lot better than the one that came with the Ridgid.

Again, thanks.

Comment

I didn't realize it was a different manual. Thanks for pointing that out wimgnutx! It's a real manual. I guess you have to pay more for the saw to get a better manual!

Comment

but if you bought the c-man version of the saw, you'd be out the LSA. better to buy the ridgid and print the c-man manual.
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I hope to buy a r4512 this weekend. From what im gathering, assembly would be much easier to do if you used the posted sears pdf file, right?
                Are they identical saws?

Comment

Working...
                X