X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help w/ possible table saw purchase

I'm rather new to woodworking, and I've been looking for a table saw for some time. I don't need anything portable, because I'll be using the saw solely in my [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]garage [COLOR=blue !important]workshop[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] and I won't be moving it anywhere else. As a result, I'm not even considering the plastic portable saws made by Bosch, Dewalt, Craftsman, Ryobi, etc.

My original thought was to purchase the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Porter [COLOR=blue !important]Cable[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] contractor saw that Lowe's sells for about $600.00. It seems like a good saw, it's made in Taiwan (not China) and it does not have the blade alignment problems that the Ridgid 4512 and Craftsman 21833 reportedly have.

However, I've been looking on Craigslist and Ebay in the hopes of finding one of the last U.S. built Ridgid saws, such as the 2424 or the 3612. I wanted to see if I could find a new (or at least gently used one), but I don't think that's going to be possible without the use of time travel!

But, the other day I found what I thought might be the "Holy Grail". It's a New, sealed in the box Craftsman belt-driven contractor saw from 1996, essentially the parent saw of the 1999-2003 Ridgids. The guy told me he's had it sitting in his garage since the 90's and never bothered to open it or put it together. However, it's an Emerson built saw and Made in the USA.

If I buy it from the guy, I will be going to his place in person so I will see the saw (even if I have to open the box) before I buy it. He's asking $450 for it, and he told me he paid $600 originally. This seems plausible, as I found a copy of an old Sears ad from the mid-90's, and the saw indeed sold brand new for $600. I would never pay $500 if this were used, but brand new in the box...

So my question is, would I be insane to buy this? Does anyone know if the rip [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]fence[/COLOR][/COLOR] is any good? Could it be upgraded with a Ridgid fence of a few years later, or a Craftsman Accu-Rip? Is there anything else I should know about this saw?

Re: Need help w/ possible table saw purchase

Sorry, duplicate thread.

Comment

Working...
    X