Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
looking for suggestions on leveling steel wings on R4512 table saw Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for suggestions on leveling steel wings on R4512 table saw

hi - I'm looking for suggestions on leveling the steel wings on my R4512 table saw. I'm guessing that others have gone through this execise already. If you have any suggestions, I would aprreciate it very much!

So far, I had to elongate a couple of the holes on the steel wings so that there would not be any lippage between the cast iron top and one of the wings. Now, I would like to lose some of the sag, i.e., make the wings flat with the cast iron top. I'm thinking of using some aluminum or tin sheet metal. Maybe it's easy to find shim stock, but I have not tried yet. Another idea I had was to drill out the wings and put in some bolts underneath the wings and use them for leveling instead of the shims.

Any help appreciated!

thx,
    rob

Re: looking for suggestions on leveling steel wings on R4512 table saw

Buy a cheap set of feeler guages and find the size you need to level the wings. Then cut small pieces from that size and use them for shims.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I bought a sampler pack of brass shim stock
      Handy for a bunch of projects

Comment

Thanks for the ideas!

Any opinioins about my idea of drilling out the wings, tapping, and put in some bolts (like 3 on each wing) to use for leveling instead of the shims? It makes sense to me because once they are in it would be so easy to level, I think.

Comment

Tin/aluminum foil works as well for shims like that,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

rebar - were your steel wings lower than the cast iron table? That's how mine are and I can't seem to raise them far enough to be flush. You said "So far, I had to elongate a couple of the holes on the steel wings so that there would not be any lippage between the cast iron top and one of the wings." If the problem was the same as mine, then you extended the holes toward the floor so the wings can be pushed higher, right? How did you do this operation?

Thanks,

David

Comment

When I need to elongate a hole,
              I use a die grinder, (dermal type tool), use a small grinder stone, (one can use a rotary file as well) and you may have to put some side pressure (to counter act the rotation of the grinder), along with the down pressure to cut elongated hole,

If you have a steel punch one could do that as well or a milling machine and cutter,
              Last edited by BHD; 01-08-2013, 08:39 PM.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
              X