X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air just leaks out of palm nailer

I just got a Ridgid R350PNE palm nailer and when I hook up the air to it it simply bleeds out-- can't get much air pressure in the line, loud hissing and you can feel the air pouring out from all the exhaust vents.

Am I doing something wrong?

I am hooking the tool up with zero pressure in the line then turning the supply valve to pressurize the line.

Thank you

Re: air just leaks out of palm nailer

try it with the pressurized line,

but it sounds like it in the middle of the stroke on the air hammer, you can try to tap on a block of wood and then retry to hook it up, (I do not own a palm nailer, but have had air hammers do this),

if you can not get it working take it back,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I tried pushing the hammer back just with a pen and my hand (air line disconnected) and it did move, but it did not fix the problem

There must be a spring to push the hammer back to the start position.

I'll try hitting a piece of wood with a nail in it to see if that fixes it.

Thanks.

Comment

I tried what you said and also opening the supply valve faster-- now it works.

Thanks

Comment

Glad to hear it works now,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

for the rest of us...

what air compressor/tank size are you using?
            what psi setting are you using?
            What is the cfm of the tool and your air compressor at the set psi setting?

I have a different brand and it uses 90psi and about 4cfm

Cactus Man

Comment

Update-- after driving about 40 nails and thinking the tool was working great it has now developed a new problem-- while it occasionally leaks air like before, the main problem now is that if you feed pressure to it quickly to prevent the leaking it cycles continuously like a machine gun until the pressure drops, then leaks air. So when it is getting 80-90 psi it is malfunctioning.

The compressor is a small one-- 3 gal tank, 0.7 scfm at 90 psi, I am using 80-100 psi.

The tool is rated at 50-120 psi, 0.105 scfm at 100 psi, and I got it specifically because it supposedly will work at lower pressures than most nailers. I think I'll have to take it back to Home Depot tomorrow. I can't imagine how having too little pressure would make it run out of control like a machine gun, especially since it wasn't before.

Comment

Originally posted by pantdino View Post
                Update-- after driving about 40 nails and thinking the tool was working great it has now developed a new problem-- while it occasionally leaks air like before, the main problem now is that if you feed pressure to it quickly to prevent the leaking it cycles continuously like a machine gun until the pressure drops, then leaks air. So when it is getting 80-90 psi it is malfunctioning.

The compressor is a small one-- 3 gal tank, 0.7 scfm at 90 psi, I am using 80-100 psi.

The tool is rated at 50-120 psi, 0.105 scfm at 100 psi, and I got it specifically because it supposedly will work at lower pressures than most nailers. I think I'll have to take it back to Home Depot tomorrow. I can't imagine how having too little pressure would make it run out of control like a machine gun, especially since it wasn't before.
                i read the manual and specs for your palm nailer and couldn't find anywhere it mentions scfm. only 50-120 psi.

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/A848ED8...NA_109_eng.pdf

but based on your really small compressor and recovery rate. i would think it's a pressure / volume supply problem.

i would see if you have a friend or neighbor with a larger compressor and see if it operates properly.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

On page 10 of the online manual you link to it says to do a test nailing with the air pressure set at 50-55 psi, and in the paper manual that comes with the tool it shows the operating pressure as 50-120psi.

The tool itself is labeled with a warning that it might explode with pressure above 120.

Remember, the tool was working fine for a while.

Comment

Well, I just tried having my wife turn on the air while I held the tool against a nail I had already started and it worked fine and stopped cycling when the nail was in.
                    So I guess I'll soldier on a bit longer and see how it goes.

Comment

I have a Tradesman palm nailer.

Here are some of its specifications:
                      air pressure 50-125psi depending upon the size of nail used.
                      for example: 6D-8D 50-80psi, 8D-12D 80-100psi, 12D-50D 100-125psi
                      maximum psi=125

the tool uses 2-4cfm they suggest at least a 3-5 gallon tank and air line 15 feet
                      if you use a longer air line then you'll need a larger tank capacity.
                      also use a 3/8 air line not a 1/4"

Oil the tool prior to use and if using a long while oil during use.

problem: air escaping...."The air palm nailer may release air if accidentally dropped. this will effect the internal
                      cycling mechanism. The internal cycling mechanism may assume a mid-cycle operation and like a valve all air will pass through
                      without energizing the oscillating action.
                      No danger or damage should occur.However the unit will remain inoperative when this occurs.
                      One way to stop the escaping air is to SLAP the cap side of the unit into the palm of your hand to reset the internal piston.
                      The escaping air should stop and you may resume using the tool."

Another item to check out....verify all cap screws are tight.

I strongly suggest you try a higher rated cfm air compressor .7cfm seems extremely low for a palm nailer!
                      Agreed many pneumatic nailers may use 1cfm or less but I suspect your compressor can't handle your palm nailer.

Cactus Man

By the way what brand compressor are you using?

Comment

Working...
                      X