X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid RAS RS1000

I'm thinking of getting a Ridgid radial arm saw, RS1000. I've been looking on Craigslist and they go for $250 to $350. My question is, what could I expect to pay for one still in the box? I found one

Re: Ridgid RAS RS1000

"Still in the box", probably in the neighborhood of $300. I believe that last series of "Ridgid" branded RAS went for around $450. The last Craftsman I looked at were somewhere in the $500 range.

However, you can usually find "garage sale" RAS's (Craftsman especially) for $150 or less. Whatever you buy, you need to know a few things to look for, like does everything lock down solid with no movements (carriage, arm, etc.) and are things in good shape to be adjusted, moved, etc. (like can you swing the arm from left to right, rotate the carriage, raise and lower the column without binding or undue force. If you find one locally, you need to have the seller walk through everything with you, unless of course you already have experience with the RAS.

CWS

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I ended up paying $350 for it. My brother-in-law picked it up today and he confirmed that it is still in the box with the plastic strapping wrapped around it. I'll get it from him next Sunday and then it'll be a couple of days before I can open the box and set it it up. Lots going on around here and no time to do it all, bet you all know what that's like.
      You're right about finding Craftsman saws for a lot less but, for some reason, my shop has become full of Ridgid Orange tools. The only exception is my Craftsman thickness planer and my Jet drill press. I'll probably get a Ridgid planer, on clearance of course, but will not replace the drill press. Mine is a 17" version. I didn't start out to buy mostly Ridgid tools but I've gotten some super deals on clearance prices so, for the money, I can't go wrong.
      I'll give an update and pictures once I take physical possession.

Comment

Good show on getting the RAS.

Since it is still in the box, you might want to give Ridgid Customer Service a call to see what if any kind of warranty or registration for the LLSA options may or may NOT be available to you. Probably nothing at this late date, as I believe the RAS has been off the market for at least the last five years... but it's worth the call anyhow, I think.

I saw a Ridgid RAS in my local store about a year ago. Customer had brought it in for service and it was an absolute mess. Apparently he had burnt out the motor and "service" was not available (the saw was waiting for the owner to come pick it up).

Most, if not all, of the older Craftsman RAS's were made by Emerson I believe. I've had mine since late 1973 when I purchased it new. It was my only big saw right up until I purchased a table saw in 2005. My RAS is still the center of my shop and is my most often used (and favorite tool) saw, though today it is dedicated to cross-cutting. IMHO, you can't find a better tool for that purpose.

I wish you very good work with your new RAS. If I can provide any tips, please don't hesitate to ask,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by museum_guy View Post
          Thanks for the reply. I ended up paying $350 for it. My brother-in-law picked it up today and he confirmed that it is still in the box with the plastic strapping wrapped around it. I'll get it from him next Sunday and then it'll be a couple of days before I can open the box and set it it up. Lots going on around here and no time to do it all, bet you all know what that's like.
          You're right about finding Craftsman saws for a lot less but, for some reason, my shop has become full of Ridgid Orange tools. The only exception is my Craftsman thickness planer and my Jet drill press. I'll probably get a Ridgid planer, on clearance of course, but will not replace the drill press. Mine is a 17" version. I didn't start out to buy mostly Ridgid tools but I've gotten some super deals on clearance prices so, for the money, I can't go wrong.
          I'll give an update and pictures once I take physical possession.
          is that a model with a bolt together column support or is the column support cast iron?
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I believe the Ridgid RS1000 was the last version of RAS that was produced under the "Ridgid" brand name. It has a bolted column support with the T-handle arm release on the top of the arm. I don't think a cast-iron column RAS (Emerson-built) has been produced since the early 70's and I've been told that my 1973 model 113.29461 was the last cast-iron column produced with the Craftsman badge.

CWS

Comment

weren't the bolt up support column RASs the ones that had the unfortunate reliability/repeatability reputations?
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Now that I don't know about. I would think that "repeatability" would be more of a problem with a sloppy indexing pin, or even poor carriage tracking.

Thinking about the fabricated column support vs the old cast iron, I would hope "repeatability" wouldn't be so much of a problem. That design (bolt-up or fabrication, as I learned to call it) has been around since about 1974/75 and IF it was really a problem, I would have thought that Ridgid would have corrected any issues over the past 35-plus years.

My thoughts on the change from "cast-iron" was a mix of cost vs quality availability. By the mid-70's quality iron castings were becoming difficult to find in North America. The few foundries that were left were getting some pretty hefty prices and were getting seriously squeezed for environmental issues. Also at the time, the U.S. "Dollar" was quite strong in the international marketplace and many companies started to close thier foundries in favor of buying castings overseas, as it was much cheaper. Even our company started fabricating parts by the early 80's as it was cheaper than casting them. But of course, poorer quality and a collapsing dollar value soon swung that issue the other way. Buy the mid-80's though, we had already shut down our foundries and in some cases tore them down. Casting then were outlandish in cost and we couldn't afford to buy them in Europe. After that... well, we all know about China!

CWS
                Last edited by CWSmith; 10-16-2012, 07:33 PM.

Comment

OK, finally got the beast home and opened it up. Yep, it was a "brand new" (never opened box anyway) RS1000, built by Emerson in the USA. What a surprise. I won't be able to assemble it for a few weeks because of on going projects. I'll post some pictures when I can. I spoke with customer service and they said that since I didn't originally buy it, I can't register it. The date on the owners manual is 2001. I know it's before 2003 because of a contest that was going on, the winner would be announced in 2003. I'm excited. Oh yeah, it came with a "free" moulding head and guard.

Comment

If you're thinking about getting a blade for it, this one is a pretty good one and the price isn't a budget breaker either. It should be very good if you don't intend to do much ripping with your RAS and excellent if you only will be using it for crosscutting.
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Wow, that's a nice blade for a good price. i will only be using it for crosscutting, no ripping ! I have 2 Ridgid table saws for that, lol. A 3660 and a portable 4516. I have a couple of projects planned for next year that the RAS will be perfect for, lots of dadoes on narrow pieces and some of them angled even. I couldn't pass up the deal. thanks for your help, I may be asking more questions later. I've used a RAS my whole career but only as a cutoff machine, a cut to rough length machine at that. This will be a good chance to use one properly.

Comment

Working...
                      X