Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Is home depot and ridgid scaming the customer?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is home depot and ridgid scaming the customer?

I have been in the remodel field for 18 years of my life. As most people in this field we spend a fair amount of money on power tools with some sort of hope that they will last a decent amount of time. In the fall of 2008 a job site I was working on was broken into resulting in a large loss of tools on my part. I was in need of replacing the tools that where stolen. In 2009 I bought a RIDGID 5-peice combo plus the impact gun, cordless jigsaw and 2 extra batteries. I looked at Bosch, Dewalt, Hilti, Milwaukee. I liked the Bosch, Hilti and Dewalt tools better, but the "lifetime warranty"on tools and batteries sold me on the RIDGID set. Boy do I feel dumb after finding out that Home Depot will not warranty defective tools after a certain time date after purchase and when I call RIDGID they give me the run around saying that the "lifetime warranty" is a promotion and that if you did not register the tools the you do not get the warranty. The helpful RIDGID employe did give me a P.O. box that I could hand mail a letter to the warranty dept, the lady said that they would get back to me within 4-6 weeks. I asked if they just had a email address that I could mail too she stated no. This is 2012 get a email box. All of the this just did not add up to me and seemed fishy. I would be willing to bet that out of all the tools purchased yearly less then 20% are actually registered. Further more most people in the field buy tools do not save the box or it's paper work. We buy the tool to get the job done. I will be writing the warranty dept., I will not be holding my breath and in the interim I will be out the tools that are not working properly. I'm a hard working American and I work hard for our county to make sure we have safe places to dwell. So it makes me a little ill when I feel that a American company has misrepresented itself for the sake of money and not honest hard working people.

Long time hard working American,
    Miles

Re: Is home depot and ridgid scaming the customer?

miles, there is a 3 year warranty on the tools without registering. the lifetime service agreement is similar to what you do to get a rebate.

you send in the original receipt and the upc label from the box. same as you would do for a $1.00 rebate on a bottle of oil.

unfortunately by not sending in the required paperwork, ridgid is not going to cover the extended lifetime service agreement.

now maybe if you get lucky, there are some home depot's that have a rental dept. that does the ridgid warranty exchanges for the batteries and some of the tools. you might get lucky and find a nice person working there that can possibly help you out.

there are literally hundreds of post concerning this same issue.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      miles, there is a 3 year warranty on the tools without registering. the lifetime service agreement is similar to what you do to get a rebate.

you send in the original receipt and the upc label from the box. same as you would do for a $1.00 rebate on a bottle of oil.

unfortunately by not sending in the required paperwork, ridgid is not going to cover the extended lifetime service agreement.

now maybe if you get lucky, there are some home depot's that have a rental dept. that does the ridgid warranty exchanges for the batteries and some of the tools. you might get lucky and find a nice person working there that can possibly help you out.

there are literally hundreds of post concerning this same issue.

rick.
      So what has been Ridgid response? Why does there seem to be such a huge difference between the plumbing tools and regular power tool service dept?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I have a lifetime warranty tattoo and an Energy efficient tattoo, but I am not working any more efficient and I am pretty sure that God no longer makes my model.
        "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

I hope the company fix this as soon as possible. That is, if they want to stay in business for a long time. Not being able to get what they promised to deliver is such a huge customer turn-off.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            So what has been Ridgid response? Why does there seem to be such a huge difference between the plumbing tools and regular power tool service dept?
            The difference is that the plumbing tools and the regular power tools are made and warranted by two different and separate corporations. The plumbing related tools are made by Ridge Tool and the hand held and stationary power tools are made by TTI/OWT for their exclusive sale. Both carry the Ridgid name but that is where the similarity ends. As has been stated here many times in the past, the LLSA is exclusive to the TTI/OWT tool line only. When Ridge Tool licensed the RIDGID trademark to TTI/OWT for the exclusive rights to produce and sell certain tools under the RIDGID name back in 2003 it opened up a can of confusion that to this day still exists. Quite frankly because far too many people refuse to read the Owners Manuals when they buy Ridgid tools this ensuing misunderstanding about what is a warranty and what is the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement will continue to happen. Don't necessarily blame Ridge Tool or TTI/OWT for this, blame the laziness of some consumers.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

an even sadder adjunct to issues like this is when peridicals reviewing tools get the ridgid policies wrong. the 11/12 issue of the family handyman reviewed portable table saws (c-man, rockwell, ryobi, bosch, etc.) and one of the reasons they gave for making the ridgid 4510 it's top pick was it "lifetime warranty". maybe if they'd checked the paperwork included with the saw.......
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I'll be the bad guy here and politically incorrect!

The person purchasing a product is responsible to properly register the product, understand how to use the product,
                use the tool for what it was designed for, properly maintain it, use the tool safely!

The tool manufacturer has the responsibility to manufacture a safe tool for the job it's designed for.
                The typical warranty for any product is 90 days, this is to cover infant product mortality and defects not caught prior to
                the product being shipped to the retailer!

The manufacturer knows the MBTF rate [mean time before failure]. This means most products have a safe and useful life
                before it fails or wears out and the manufacturer knows exactly when that will happen.

To entice sale of their product, often the manufacturer will offer extended warranties, rebates, coupons, free stuff!

Let's see..typical electronic devices come with a 90 day warranty.....typically if the "thing" does not fail within the
                first 30 days it will likely run for its designed useable life!

Most tool warranties are 1 year as most tools have many parts that may fail.
                Oh, government safety recalls are not the same as any product warranty.

Ridgid power tools [NOT PLUMBING TOOLS] has decided to offer a three tier warranty product.
                Notice that's RIDGID is offering the warranty NOT HOME DEPOT!!!!! Home Depot sells the product under
                an exclusive license.. although that is very weak as you can buy RIDGID tools at many other places.
                BUT... the LSA program is specifically for products purchased at Home Depot unless otherwise specified.

So buying on E-bay will not get you the LSA ...etc.

1....the usual 90 day warranty and also include a 90day return policy. Most manufacturers only
                offer 30 days or less for returns!!!!!

2....When the registration form is filled out [correctly] and submitted within the delineated time period you'll receive a three year warranty.
                This does not cover tools damaged by abuse this warranty has specific limitations...read the warranty coverage!

3.... Ridgid decided to offer a clever marketing tool "the LSA" LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT" I'll repeat that
                LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT now does anyone see the word "warranty" in those three words?
                The LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT IS NOT A LIFETIME WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!

The lifetime service agreement and a lifetime warranty are totally different. We have discussed this for years [do a search]

To receive the lifetime service agreement the tool purchaser must follow directions and properly register the product covered.
                The retail store selling the product and the manufacturer have absolutely no responsibility regarding this!
                If you do not properly register the tool it's your fault and buck up stop being a cry baby about it; you did not follow
                the process and you lose!

Applying for a cash rebate has you jumping through hoops all the time and it can take close to six months to get your one dollar rebate check.
                This is marketing as they know most folks won't bother with the rebate or PROPERLY apply for it..The manufacturer makes out nicely.
                They do not have to pay a rebate and they sell the product for the retail price including the built in rebate expense!

Ridgid tool does not participate in the nanny state mentality! This means it's your responsibility

Now..customer service...I will agree this is a very convoluted area. In some areas across the USA Ridgid customer service is
                amazing. In other areas it does not exist. I will fault Ridgid/TTI/OWT for such poor management.

Many of us here have suggested many solutions to improve customer service but sadly it's to deaf ears!

Keep in mind for every cry baby that has their first post on this reflector whining about their tool breaking etc.
                There are thousands of folks very happy with the product line. In fact what really bugs me here is when someone asks
                a question or for help and never returns to finish the posting by letting us know if the answer or solution offered
                was correct!

Let's discuss "the paper trail" for a brief moment.

Did you photocopy all your documents prior to mailing them?

When you purchased the tool did you request a duplicate receipt for mailing when registering for the warranty?
                Part of the registration process dictates it wants an original receipt!

Did you mail the documentation registered/ signature required? This simple task provides you a name of the person
                at Ridgid who received your documentation and proves you indeed sent in the paperwork! plus completes the process
                and gives you a foot to stand on when applying any of the warranty coverages you have.

Too many people LIE and Ridgid tool has a specific tool registration procedure to eliminate dishonest folks.
                That's why you need to "cut" the UPC label from the box the tool came in as proof of purchase.

Cactus Man
                Last edited by cactusman; 10-18-2012, 11:18 AM.

Comment

"Ignorance is Bliss", but often times leads to "Frustration".

So, who should be held "Accountable and Responsible"????

Ron

Comment

cactusman, the truth is never a bad thing nor politically incorrect, well stated.
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      Because Ridgid plumbing tools sre backed by Ridgid, and Ridgid woodworking and battery-operated power tools are covered by TTI. There is no relation between the two other than TTI continues to give Ridgid a bad name as far as warranties go.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I took the time to register my tools on line and by mail. I have not had any troubles untill lately with any of my tools. I have had most of the batteries replaced for free under the warranty program and they are now fixing my 14.4 impact driver ( trigger issues) under warranty. I have no problems with the warranty. Sign up for it within the 90 days and put a stamp on it mail it out. no problem no issues. I do not think it was a scam or anything, but knew there had to be a catch and it was the price of a postage stamp and the help desk when called has always been very helpful

Comment

I will say that the warranty depots have replaced my batteries no problem, although it can take months to get one and that is not an exaggeration. I have had a couple of repairs done and again, no problem. And, Ford is Ford, Levis are Levis and Ridgid is Ridgid and they ARE responsible for their brand name. If they choose to let it get trashed for whatever reason then they fail. And .....

I am now of the opinion that if you got forced out of Ridgid your life will become less stressful. I got the 24 volt kit some time ago and for the first year or so it was awesome. However I think with their lifetime warranty they have cut every corner they could to save money. The batteries I get under warranty now tend to last maybe a month or 2 if that before their lifespan becomes useless. Even the brand new ones have very short lifespans although they love to tell you they need to be "cycled" a few times before they realize their full potential. I think that is a delaying tactic now. When I go in to collect me new warranty battery, I simply drop off another one now. That way I at least have a couple to keep me going, kind of. I could use about 10 or 12 batteries now where once I only needed 2. I built my entire garage with 2 batteries in a drill, circ saw and sawsall. I cant go an hour now with 3.

You can very easily find tons of contractors and forum posts about these crap batteries. Needing your charger at arms length doesnt make it a cordless tool, it makes it a pain in the arse. You also look like a doofus with a ridgid tool that dies every 5 minutes.

Hear me Ridgid? Do you hear anyone? I guess it is Home Depot is trashing your name? I have held my breath a long time waiting for whatever it takes to make my kit functional again. Or a complete new kit if that is what it takes. Tools seem fine but the batteries really have to go.

Comment

I have several tools waiting for the LSA program to be initiated in my dashboard.
                            I mailed everything in August 2012.

Today is October 26, 2012
                            I decided it's almost two months so I dropped customer service an e-mail....

Read my E-mail and their reply:

"Sent by Customer Service 03:44PM on October 26, 2012:

Due to the increased volume that has been sent in, the warranty processing department is behind. I assure you that once your
                            receipt copy has been received by the processing department, your account will be updated. You will receive an email once the account has updated.
                            If it has been more than 3 months since you mailed the items, you can contact the processing department at 1-866-539-1710 options 2-2-1.

Sent by Martin 03:07PM on October 26, 2012:

Listed below are three items from my dashboard. [deleted for security reasons]
                            August 31, 2012 you received the LSA registration documentation. This registration was mailed registered mail signature required.
                            It was signed as received but I'm unable to read the signature.

I know from past experience it does take a while to update the dashboard to correctly indicate LSA coverage.
                            Please review my dashboard. As of Oct 26, 2012 it still indicates the LSA coverage has not been initiated.

Thank you....."

As you can see response time is outstanding! Their explanation is not unreasonable.
                            My tools are in fact still covered for at least three years so I'm not panicking!

So to those of you whining about customer service and warranty and LSA registration I ask you the following....

What did I do right? and what did you do wrong?

For those of you new to the forum..welcome, but having your first 4 posts crying about customer service is not a way to gain the respect
                            of the thousands of satisfied customers and those satisfied folks here on the forum.

I do understand Ridge Tool is backlogged and I suspect the mail room and customer service are at
                            different ends of their building thus the slow processing. I have been a Ridge/Ridgid tool owner since 2005 and have never had
                            any negative experiences with customer service.

Finally, I do not abuse my tools so none of them have ever been broken!

Cactus Man
                            Last edited by cactusman; 10-26-2012, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X