R4512 tablesaw fence alignment/play

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4512 tablesaw fence alignment/play

hi - Can anyone offer suggestions on the small amount of play in the fence. This is play that you can feel before you tighten down the fence. If the fence is cocked, it won't be parallel to the blade. As it stands, you really need to check for parallel everytime that you move the fence. I don't see any adjustment to get rid of the play. I know about the 4 bolts for the major adjustment, and that works fine and I adjusted that ok.

thx,
    rob

Re: R4512 tablesaw fence alignment/play

The play is normal and not important. You can see the cause. If you take the fence off and lay it upside down on the top of the saw table, you will see two ivory colored plastic pieces, on near each end of the fence head (the part that slides on the front rail). Those plastic pieces are flat on one side. This is the side that clamps against the rail when you tighten the fence to the table saw. The opposite side of each piece has a very small tab. This tab can ride against the inner groove of the fence rail closest to the operator. If the tab were closer, you would not notice the play, but the manufacturer preferred to leave generous clearance, possibly to accommodate production tolerances. When the fence is tightened, only the two flat surfaces are used to clamp the fence to the front saw rail, so the remaining clearance to the very small tabs is unimportant. I should add that clamping the fence actually pulls a steel rod that is connected to the back end of the fence in order to pivot the back rail clamp. It is this clamp that actually forces (pulls) the front of the fence to the front fence rail.

Comment

Re: R4512 tablesaw fence alignment/play

Originally posted by rebar View Post
      hi - Can anyone offer suggestions on the small amount of play in the fence. This is play that you can feel before you tighten down the fence. If the fence is cocked, it won't be parallel to the blade. As it stands, you really need to check for parallel everytime that you move the fence. I don't see any adjustment to get rid of the play. I know about the 4 bolts for the major adjustment, and that works fine and I adjusted that ok.
      thx,
      rob
      If there is play after it tightened down you have a problem,

many will probably disagree with me here, but I have never set my fence parallel with the blade I purposely set it so it is a tad wider at the back edge of the blade, for blade clearance,
      and have not had any accuracy problems and a lot less binding problems,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
      X