X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First cordless circular saw?

Just a quick question- which company invented the first cordlessmcircular saw? Fairly recent invention and I'm just kinda curious.
    Thanks in advance

Re: First cordless circular saw?

This is very tough one question. when will I find suitable answer I send you back.

Comment

my guess is the makita 9.6 volt 3 3/8'' cordless. that spun at 1000 rpm. great for tile and glass and lousy for wood, especially plunge cutting. had it back in the early 80's and i thought it would be good for inside cabinets for plunge cutting. slow and easily kicks back.

here is the updated modern wood cutting version. the setup with the water bottle has been discontinued. http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/...aspx?ID=349726

rick.
      Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 10-26-2012, 09:24 AM.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Patent US6996909 - Battery powered circular saw - Google Patents
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

The OP did not say battery operated necessarily. Is a water powered saw mill using round saw blades a circular saw by definition?

Comment

probably now exactly what your thinking but there were a few gas power saw out there years ago, Homelite made one, and I know a different company made a saw and drill
            possibly Piston Products, they had the Super Saw,

add in 1975 popular science, Popular Science - Google Books

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45149 (from what I read here, it appears 1975 or near there is when they were introduced on the market).

Gasoline Powered Circular Saw. - Page 2 - SmokStak

Chainsaw Collectors.se • View topic - Homelite XL-100 Gas powered circular saw

one more on the homelite saw, dated 1964 popular sicience
            http://books.google.com/books?id=1yU...0cutter&f=true

old gas drill
            Ohlsson Rice Old Time Gas Engine Powered Drill VG Cond | eBay

another drill I think I remember seeing this advertised in the late 60's
            http://ohlssonandrice.forumer.com/gu...-t1171749.html
            Last edited by BHD; 10-26-2012, 12:03 PM.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Sorry, by cordless I really did mean battery operated. But those gas powered circular saws are sick! Wish those were still around.

Comment

Originally posted by synergysigns View Post
                This is very tough one question. when will I find suitable answer I send you back.
                Well take your time and let me know what you come up with!

Comment

the first battery saw I remember is probably the little makita, like Rick showed, at the time it came out I could not see much use for such a small unit,
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Cordless tools appear partly to have been benefited by the space program of the 1960's , may be not an exact spin off but benefited from it.

Who invented first cordless tool?
                    Answer:.

The first cordless tools were developed by NASA to allow astronauts to drill for moon samples because they couldn't use corded power tools very well in the conditions of space and on the moon.

The first cordless tool was actually invented by Robert Ridley, Jr while working at Black & Decker. Ridley was trying to solve a problem of on-site power for the installation of aluminum windows. His work focused on battery technology for drills that would allow workman to complete installations without an additional source of electricity. A patent application was filed in 1961 on his invention and granted in 1965. Black and Decker introduced the first cordless drill to the market in 1961 and followed in 1962 with the first cordless outdoor tool the cordless hedge trimmer.

Martin Marietta contracted with Black and Decker in the mid-to late 1960's to develop a range of cordless tools for the space program. NASA did not invent the first cordless tool, but funded Martin Marietta who in turn contracted with Black & Decker to further develop cordless tools for use on space missions. A series of tools were developed by Ridley and Black & Decker for this purpose which became the foundation of the modern cordless power tool industry. The first such tool developed by Ridley for Martin Marietta (and NASA) was a cordless wrench for use in Project Gemini in 1963. By 1968, Black & Decker developed a unique power head for the Apollo Lunar Surface Drill to remove core samples from the moon. (Source: Tools of the Trade Magazine, 2001 and Black & Decker history).
                    Who invented first cordless tool
                    from the NASA spin off site

Did NASA invent cordless power tools?

No. The first cordless power tool was unveiled by Black & Decker in 1961. In the mid-1960s, Martin Marietta Corporation contracted with Black & Decker to design tools for NASA. The tool company developed a zero-impact wrench for the Gemini project that spun bolts in zero gravity without spinning the astronaut. Black & Decker also designed a cordless rotary hammer drill for the Apollo moon program. The drill was used to extract rock samples from the surface of the moon and could operate at extreme temperatures and in zero-atmosphere conditions. Before the zero-impact wrench and rotary hammer drill could go into space, they needed to be tested in anti-gravity conditions. Black & Decker and NASA tested the tools either under water or in transport planes that would climb to the highest possible altitude and then nosedive to simulate anti-gravity conditions. As a result of this work, Black & Decker created several spinoffs, including cordless lightweight battery powered precision medical instruments and a cordless miniature vacuum cleaner called the Dustbuster, but cordless power tools predate the Space Agency’s involvement with the company.
                    http://spinoff.nasa.gov/spinfaq.htm#spinfaq10

In 1987, new products began to flow – beginning with the introduction of the first affordable biscuit joiner to the market. This was followed by the world’s first 12-volt cordless drill and the first electric random orbit sander in 1989. In 1992, the company strengthened its position in the sanding category by launching the world’s first palm-grip electric random orbit sander. New product awards continued to tout PORTER-CABLE’s innovative introductions. These included Time’s "Top Ten Products of the Year," Popular Science’s "Best of What’s New," and Popular Mechanics’ "Design and Engineering Award." http://www.portercable.com/aboutus/pc_history.aspx

going back to saws, it seems like I remember seeing back in the 60's an add for a power saw that would run off the car battery once, but I can not find any Internet evidence of it,
                    Last edited by BHD; 10-27-2012, 10:10 AM.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                    X