X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6800 generator will not run.

Hurricane Sandy is on its way and I cannot get my year old generator to start. I now realize that the stabilized gas go too old and is the cause of my problems. I have drained the gas all the way to the carborator and replaced with new fuel. I also removed the reservoir on the bottom of the carb and cleaned out to the old fuel. I have used starter fluid and it runs briefly and then stops . I am getting spark to burn the starter fluid, but cannot get it to run on the gas.

I am thinking that I need to have the carberator thoroughly cleaned. Is this something I can do if I get a carberator kit? No one can work on the machine for at least a week, and we are expecting a power outage in a couple days.

Re: 6800 generator will not run.

Okay, you know not to leave gas in for more than a month or so because even with stabil, it breaks down. There is a chance the float inside the carb is gummed up. Since it is not running, and you can't anyone to repair it in time, consider removing the bottom bolt that holds the bowl to the carb. Do this outside your home! Remove the gas line from the tank, making sure your shut off valve is closed. Squirt some carb cleaner in the line and try to blow into the line while gently moving the float up and down. With any luck you will free up the float and needle valve if gummed up or blocked. Did you open the shut off valve if equipped? No offense but the best of us sometimes forget the simple stuff. Frank

Comment

Others have suggested that I open the fuel line. Good place to start. This is helpful though. Off to get som carb cleaner in the morning!

Comment

Some great advice I've got from a good friend. Always use high test fuel in all of your outdoor power tools. A great product which I have had excellent results with is Star Tron Enzyme fuel treatment. I got the stuff from Jamestown Distributors in R.I... I've also made it a point to periodically fire my Rigid 6800 every few months. For that matter, I do the same with snowblowers, power washer. Just another point, I have other power tools and not to mention the manufacturer, but they will not recognize their warranty if you opt to use regular fuel.
        Good luck with Sandy!!!!!

Comment

I would put an ounce or two of Sea Foam treatment into the gas you just added to the tank. Once you get the engine started this will help in cleaning up the fuel line and carb.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I was told by a power equipment shop that the best thing to use is "storage fuel". This can been had places that specialize in lawn and garden equipment. This is better than running the machine dry or using a stabilizer, as this stuff lasts up to three years and you will have ZERO alcohol in the carb.

Comment

to clean a carburetor is not hard, the hard part is readjusting it if it has movable/adjustable jets, if you know where the starting point is it is not hard, but many of the carburetors can be taken apart with out moving any of the jets or needles valves, and in an emergency Or not being able to get the gaskets, I have made my own, (a heavy card board is usually all that tis needed, a breakfast cereal box works well), carefully trace the tore up gasket on to the new cardboard, and cut and punch out the holes, (small tube can be sharpened to use a s punch) and either use a utility or exacto knife and scissors, where they will work, (if there is a needle valve that needs to be removed for the sake of removal or taking it apart carefully screw it in until it seats and count the number of turns it takes and record it some where, when reassembling it one should be able to seat the needle and then open it that number of turns, and it should be close to the proper setting,
              I have no experience with this engine so proceed at your own risk, as I do not know the ins and outs of the unit,

be very carefully when blowing out the passages that there is not some check ball, or spring or some thing that can be blown out and lost, (usually is not a problem, but like I said I do not know this machine so I do not know the process,

but have cleaned and rebuilt a good number of carburetors over the years,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
              X