X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table Saw Fence Alignment

I posted that I got a new R4512 TS. So far it is great. Much better than my Ryobi BT3100. Yes, I had the blade alignment off upon arrival but it is pretty easy to fix.

Now I'm wondering about fence alignment. I have read where you want a slight (maybe .005 max) offset of the fence as you move from nearest where you stand to the where the work piece exists the blade. The theory is that slight "opening" of the fence prevents the work binding between the blade and fence as you cut.

Does anyone know what is right? Obviously, you never want the fence to pinch in but do you want it to flair out ever so slightly? Dead parallel might be ideal but maybe not so attainable.

Re: Table Saw Fence Alignment

A slight "toe-out" is really a matter of opinion. Perfect is ideal....however, since nothing is perfect, the concept of a slight toe out is to help ensure that any deviations in the flatness of the fence don't cause binding. 0.005" is a little farther than I'd prefer....0.003" is what was suggested to me by a vendor at a Woodworking Show.

The downside of the toe out is worthy of some consideration. For those who move the fence to the left side of the blade for occasional cuts, the former "toe out" becomes a "toe in", which actually causes a potentially serious problem.

Comment

You made an excellent point about moving the fence from one side of the blade to the other.

Comment

i prefer getting it as close to parallel as possible. allows for use of fence on either side of blade. and getting most saws exact shouldn't be that hard if a lowly contractor saw like this one can be dialed in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	e3c466866665c762c75b7c6003404a6c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	494.7 KB
ID:	16757 Click image for larger version

Name:	0730a0079f14a6db45d897672d644333.jpg
Size:	508.4 KB
ID:	16758 Click image for larger version

Name:	575c77a0d7a86c968edfe0c93231bff3.jpg
Size:	496.4 KB
ID:	16759 Click image for larger version

Name:	dbd60d550dd7a4268d469105461c0124.jpg
Size:	488.2 KB
ID:	16760
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
          i prefer getting it as close to parallel as possible. allows for use of fence on either side of blade. and getting most saws exact shouldn't be that hard if a lowly contractor saw like this one can be dialed in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	e3c466866665c762c75b7c6003404a6c.jpg
Size:	494.7 KB
ID:	16757 Click image for larger version

Name:	0730a0079f14a6db45d897672d644333.jpg
Size:	508.4 KB
ID:	16758 Click image for larger version

Name:	575c77a0d7a86c968edfe0c93231bff3.jpg
Size:	496.4 KB
ID:	16759 Click image for larger version

Name:	dbd60d550dd7a4268d469105461c0124.jpg
Size:	488.2 KB
ID:	16760
          FINER9998:
          I guess I would call that perfect.

BTW, is that a Delta T2 fence on a R4512? If so, did the rails just bolt on or was modification necessary?

Comment

First I do not understand this use of machinist micrometers on wood working, but to each his own,
            even steel is fairly movable and can expand and shrink thousands by heat, and steel in comparison to wood is stable,

any way if your blade is set correctly, (here is a place for you micrometer, getting the blade aligned with your table top, and miter slots,

but for the fence just Eye ball it on a miter slot, and adjust to it,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by wrj View Post
              You made an excellent point about moving the fence from one side of the blade to the other.
              I forgot to mention that a slight toe out is generally not a problem with left tilt saws, since left tilt saws are less likely to be used with the fence to the left of the blade.

Comment

Originally posted by wrj View Post
                FINER9998:
                I guess I would call that perfect.

BTW, is that a Delta T2 fence on a R4512? If so, did the rails just bolt on or was modification necessary?
                that's a t2 on a 70s vintage emerson electric 10" CI c-man contractor saw. and yes, modification of either the front rail tube angle iron is necessary or additional holes need to be drilled in the CI table and wings. it was not "plug and play", but no overly difficult. there are several videos on the net addressing the "how to " aspects of the retro fit.
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Hi Guy's today i come back to this community and i want to say that if anyone here which need fence service than contact with us we have a company which provide all type of fence at cheap rate we done your project within your given time limit and we satisfied our customer's as they want we provide excellent services to our customer as they need we provide...

Comment

Working...
                  X