X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ridgid or milwaukee

need to purchase new drill and impact just looking for some advice the ridgid has the LSA but the milwaukee seems to be better quality i can get either set for 199.00 for the 18v. Has anyone used both,Is the LSA alone worth buying ridgid.

Re: ridgid or milwaukee

Hello Sammy, the full answer depends on what you are using it for and what you will be doing in the future, if it's for general contracting and home use than I think the LSA on the batteries make the Ridgid the better choice imo. If you are basing your decision solely on the bare tools and if you are doing some prolonged serious heavy duty work than I would choose the Milwaukee as they are generally known to be a higher end tool. A majour factor I would take into consideration though when deciding which one you want is what direction you are going in future tool purchases. For me, having compatible batteries for most of the tools in my bag is important as I don't want to be lugging around two or three different style chargers and batteries.

Are these the two you are comparing? Milwaukee | M18™ Cordless LITHIUM-ION 2-Tool Combo Kit | Home Depot Canada vs RIDGID | 18V Compact Drill And Impact Driver Combo | Home Depot Canada

The Ridgid Kit has a hammer drill vs a regular drill for the Milwaukee.

Comment

the Ridgid kit is Not a hammer dril. Its a compact drill w a handle

Comment

You are correct, it is not a hammer drill, looks just like my x4 hammer drill though, must have been the handle which through me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Supermanofsteel View Post
          You are correct, it is not a hammer drill, looks just like my x4 hammer drill though, must have been the handle which through me off.
          yeah most reg drills do not have the handle, nice addition id say

Comment

Sammy-I see you are listed as a contractor with 15 years of experience. I don't know why you feel Milwaukee is a higher quality tool than Ridgid. Today both of those brands are manufactured by the same company in China. their 18V drill motors and impacts have very similar looks and performance specs. I suspect they may share many of the same components. Look here for the evaluation of those and a few others
            Tool Test: 18-Volt Drill/Drivers. They are so close it would seem that Ridgids LSA would been the deal maker. Good luck with your choice.

Comment

Yeah they also make Ryobi as well... but that's not to say a ryobi is on par with a Milwaukee anything. I said the Milwaukee is usually known to be a higher end tool but in a sense you are right when comparing similar size tools in the same price range. I also agree with you that the LSA would be the deciding factor for me as well. The reason I said Milwaukee is considered the higher end tool is because it offers more diversity in it's line up. They offer more industrial heavy duty powertools than Ridgid.

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
              Sammy-I see you are listed as a contractor with 15 years of experience. I don't know why you feel Milwaukee is a higher quality tool than Ridgid. Today both of those brands are manufactured by the same company in China. their 18V drill motors and impacts have very similar looks and performance specs. I suspect they may share many of the same components. Look here for the evaluation of those and a few others
              Tool Test: 18-Volt Drill/Drivers. They are so close it would seem that Ridgids LSA would been the deal maker. Good luck with your choice.

Comment

I didn't notice any mention of brushless motors, but they are supposed have certain advatages. I think Milwaukee uses brushless motors now, any thoughts? Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  I didn't notice any mention of brushless motors, but they are supposed have certain advatages. I think Milwaukee uses brushless motors now, any thoughts? Frank
                  A little high horse rant. It's all B.S. It's like an iPhone now.

Like those, there is nothing left for them to do to a drill. So they have to make up B.S. about ergonomics, brushless motors, "new" triggers. Overall, when was the last time anyone had brush problems. I know someone here will say they have. But I can't remember how many drills I've had and currently have in service that have never had a brush problem. Yes they have brushes.

About the only thing improved over the last 10 years is batteries & power to weight ratio. Might do better on batteries but power to weight ratio is about where it will be.

On corded drills I see nothing improved or space for improvement really. Just one thing for a stud drill with a patent I'm working on.

Comment

good url for tools and sawzall blades roadrashray!

Once again this rigid forum has provided some more knowledge and cost savings to me as a homeowner. Recent Hurricane Sandy almost knocked down a 15-foot tree which I tied down until Sandy blew over. Base of this trunk was approximately 6-8-inches in diameter which I cut down with a super sawzall with 12-inch blade which came with the sawzall. Blade was dull after first cut and got progressively worse with the additional cuts to the tree trunk. Purchased 10 Diablo 6-inch carbide tipped 6-tpi blades on Ebay ($34.95 for 10 with free shipping). Url provided by roadrashray had a excellent writeup on sawzall blades and my hurried purchase of the Diablo carbide sawzall blades turned out to be a excellent choice. Thank you once again Rigid Forum for providing this forum to share reccommendations, tips and tricks, etc to help us retired homeowners in our quest to stretch our fixed income dollars. BTW, I will now seek Lennox carbide tipped sawzall blades over all others via eBay...this Rigid Forum Rocks!

Comment

Working...
                    X